partial entangle

Foxx!

Heroes!

Entangle is all-or-nothing: you are held or you escape. How do you make an “entangle” from which you can partially escape.

Example

Nattou Ninja Natuki can cover people with thick nattou (see below) A victim removes some nattou and regains some CV, frees an arm, etc. But he is still partially covered. He can spend time removing more nattou, or he can take other action with penalties.

nattou

Nattou!

NATTOU!!!

Cheers!

Re: partial entangle

It's part of the rules. Check out the rules for escaping from grabs and entangles in the Combat and Adventuring chapter (don't know the page off hand).

There are also alternative ways of buying Entangle, such that it may only affect specific limbs or is otherwise less restrictive than a standard entangle.

What DR and Doc Democracy said, although I don't think that the drain is that complex:

2d6 Drain DEX and movement (flight, running, leaping) simultanously +1

Fade rate (5/5mins) +1/2

NND (insubstantiality, slipperyness or somesuch) +1

70 points

Drain can also be recovered by spending time removing the nattou (say a 'recovery' (5 points) for each phase spent) say -1/2

Real points: 47

You could even make it:

Entangle (5 DEF, 9 BODY) 70 points

With the drain linked (thus costing 35 points) so you have to get out of the entangle and THEN escape the nattou.

Something like that, anyway....

Thank you! These are all very helpful.

Dust Raven, I found the rule on page 423 about freeing only one limb.

I’ll use Entangle with Set Effect and No Defence, and Link a DEX Drain with Physical Manifestation and/or the Limitation Sean Waters gave. Instead of 5 points per Phase spent removing the nattou, I want something related to the BODY of the Entangle. For example, every 1 BODY of damage to the Entangle removes 1d of Drain effect. What is a good Limitation Value?

Cheers!

Your example made me think of this (sorry, I have no elegant way of doing it, though): some sort of advantage/adder on Entangle that makes each limb (head, both arms, both hands, upper and lower torso, legs and feet) Entangled separately. So you can get your arms out, but still have your hands "gummed up"; same goes for your feet.

The closest build I can think of for it would be something like +1/2 for the Entangle to affect 2-3 locations separately, +1 to affect 4-6 locations separately, +1 1/2 to affect 7-9 locations separately (maybe it ought to be more, but I'm modeling it off Autofire), with the built-in assumption that you can only Entangle part of the body, except at the +1 1/2 level. For example, you fire your GooGun at a fleeing Viper agent, and hit him in the legs. He's now Entangled on his Legs and Feet. If he gets his Feet free, he still has problems running, since his legs are Entangled. If he were shot in the back, his Torso and Arms would be Entangled, but not his hands (maybe); he could fire a gun that he was carrying, but not throw a grenade.

Any thoughts?

Your example made me think of this (sorry' date=' I have no elegant way of doing it, though): some sort of advantage/adder on Entangle that makes each limb (head, both arms, both [i']hands[/i], upper and lower torso, legs and feet) Entangled separately. So you can get your arms out, but still have your hands "gummed up"; same goes for your feet.

The closest build I can think of for it would be something like +1/2 for the Entangle to affect 2-3 locations separately, +1 to affect 4-6 locations separately, +1 1/2 to affect 7-9 locations separately (maybe it ought to be more, but I'm modeling it off Autofire), with the built-in assumption that you can only Entangle part of the body, except at the +1 1/2 level. For example, you fire your GooGun at a fleeing Viper agent, and hit him in the legs. He's now Entangled on his Legs and Feet. If he gets his Feet free, he still has problems running, since his legs are Entangled. If he were shot in the back, his Torso and Arms would be Entangled, but not his hands (maybe); he could fire a gun that he was carrying, but not throw a grenade.

Any thoughts?

Thoughts along the same lines is using Targeted Hit Locations to fire off the Entangle so you only get part of the body.

Escaping from a partial Entangle should be, IMO, an effect of the game and not part of the Entangle itself. As outlined on 5ERp423

You can use Change Environment with -DCV or perhaps OCV and then add a custom Limitation that every X amount of 'Body' done to it removes some of the penalties. You can also use Negative Combat Skill Levels as well, although it's a bit more clunky.

Your example made me think of this (sorry' date=' I have no elegant way of doing it, though): some sort of advantage/adder on Entangle that makes each limb (head, both arms, both [i']hands[/i], upper and lower torso, legs and feet) Entangled separately. So you can get your arms out, but still have your hands "gummed up"; same goes for your feet.

Any thoughts?

Black Rose!

I don’t know if it helps but I have two ideas.

1: Many linked Entangles each with a different Set Effect: left hand only, legs only, mouth only.

2: Separate the BODY into sections. For example, a 6d 12 BODY Entangle that is 6 DEF and 2 BODY on 6 different locations.

Cheers!