Best Gaming Superhero fights ever

Tech

Re: Best Gaming Superhero fights ever

One of the funniest (well, it was funny afterwards) was were our Chicago based group met Dr. Magnus, Mercuria and Phosghene (not sure of names but from the old Adventurers Club magazine), plus a couple cameo villains clashed. Everybody in some manner or another, whether BODY lost, statistics lost, Vulnerabilities and/or Suscept or whatever, took BODY damage, heroes and villains alike. It even got to the point where we are trying not to hurt anyone now and the mentalist tries an Ego attack on Dr. Magnus - hits his Suscept, taking Stun and Body damage. The group laughed. The final kicker was after all the Villains are defeated or gives up that one of our heroes uses an Entangle on a villain so he doesn't run away.. hitting his Suscept. Our group was laughing long and loud in disbelief for awhile after that. My oldest brother yells out, "More BOD, More BOD!", only making us laugh even more.

Over ten years later, when someone takes a lot of BODY damage, we call out, "More BOD!" :rofl:

I guess I should mention as a passing note that one of my friends has a villain called Buzzard, who has a BODY drain attack. Wellll, he had a slip of the tongue one night while GM'ing, saying, "Buzzard hits you.. 40 BODY DRAIN! I mean, 4 BODY drain." Everyone yelled out "40!?"

My bro says (in character): "I'm prepared to be very upset." Hysterically funny!

Up until about a year or so ago, our group was playing on Sunday nights. Any time Monday was a holiday that the majority of us had off work (IE: Labor Day, Independence Day, Memorial Day) we would have a huge "Double Issue" session on Sunday night and go alot later than normal. Always a good time. Our Labor Day session, 2004, involved a plot regarding a brand new skyscraper under construction that had been targeted by many unusual attacks during its construction. Among the numerous offices slated to be housed in the building was a genetic research organization that was, in fact, a front for the IHA. Then, in a move of ridiculous bravado, Holocaust broke in on the local TV stations and called us out, stating that he was going to destroy this building on XX day at XX time and we couldn't stop him.

We got to the construction site (the skeleton frame of the building was nearly completed, the rest was a typical build site - lots of construction vehicles, porta-potties, etc) first and got into position (there were 8 of us on the team at that time.) Holocaust showed up with a group of hired quasi-mystic based superbaddies calling themselves the Scions of Caine, and the crap hit the proverbial fan.

The fight had everything you could possibly hope for. Ridiculous knockback rolls, Flyers getting blasted with goopy entangles and crashing to the ground, psych lims getting STOMPED on, more witty one-liners than a comedy show, bulldozers flying through the air like lawn darts, Haymakers, Move-throughs, an evil Pre-cog, property damage, property damage & property damage!!!

5 hours later, it was down to Holocaust vs. Fantastic-Man and Nighthawk. I don't think any of them had more than 10 STUN when Holocaust finally dropped. Pretty sure our Metaliability Insurance rates skyrocketed after that one. Still... awesome fight.

Ah, there we were, facing a villain who, most likely could take out the whole team (with his robot minions assisting, at least.) He'd sniped our weakest team member and threatened to finish him off if we didn't go along with his plan.

As team leader and brick, I stepped in front on him, muzzle of the weapon inches from my chest. "You're not shooting him."

We pseudo-negotiated for a bit, but, well, we were heroes, so there was no capitulating. So he opened fire.

You know, even a brick can drop from a point blank shot in the chest from a master villain... The rest of the team got their behinds handed to them, but I wouldn't have traded it for the dramatic body block moment.

About eight years ago I played in a high powered min-campaign in which Earth faced a combined invasion from "Lovecraftian" aliens from space, and their imprisoned extradimensional kin. The former were attempting the free the latter, to ravage the Universe together - starting with Earth. We had drawn together almost every Lovecraft-inspired monstrosity that Hero Games had published through Fourth Edition for that campaign: the Slug (Classic Enemies version), the Old Ones and the Horsemen from Wrath of the Seven Horsemen, the Crimson Claw (Great Super Villain Contest), the Anopheles (Champions In 3-D), the Arcane (Alien Enemies), Azor of the Blood (The Blood and Dr. McQuark), the Demons from Demons Rule, Vulshoth from Creatures of the Night... I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but you get the idea.

Our group was running an ad-hoc collection of the most powerful NPC heroes that had appeared in Champions products to that time. IIRC we included Vincent Dimitrios (Mystic Masters), Peacekeeper (Classic Organizations), Mind Titan (Champions Universe first edition), Captain Australia (Hero System Almanac I), the Harbinger of Justice (Dark Champions), the Jade Tiger (Watchers of the Dragon), the version of Thor from Champions Presents #1... and I got to play my favorite Champs character, Nuada of the Silver Hand from Kingdom of Champions. :)

For the climax of the campaign we had eight players (not everyone had been available to play all the characters in each game session, but for this one we all came together) plus two GMs. Our PCs divided into two teams. One team assaulted the mother ship of the space aliens, while the group that I was in attacked a gate through which the villains were trying to release Vulshoth and his fellows into this world. The GMs switched between the two scenes as the session progressed, doing it turn-by-turn when we went into combat in both locales. It was actually nail-biting fun watching and listening to the action on the ship while we were waiting for our turn to act.

Together we came to the conclusion that the only way to stop Vulshoth was to crash the mothership on top of the gate and bury it, hopefully forever. While the space team tried to take control of the ship, our group fought to prevent the completion of the ritual. In the end Nuada (me) had to fight alone to keep War and Death of the Horsemen away from the gate long enough for the rest of the team to bug out. Nuada Teleported away moments before the mothership plunged into the gate site.

The whole climactic battle was a hoot, but Nuada's last stand is one of my fonder gaming memories. :D

A memorable experience. My friend and I alternated a GM's in highschool, by and large he was better. And byer and larger our group consisted of him, his brother, me, and my brother. We managed to get our auxillery friends together for a christmas vacation spectacular. Every one made two characters. Unrelated in any way. One group was "beginning" level characters, the BBB came out around my junior year in highschool. These guys were 250 pts. Then we made 500 pt characters.

I GM'd most of the holiday (we got together 4 times) The 250 pt heroes were investigating a series of murders, robberies, and etc that were all connected some how. And we had a few skirmishes with mercenary supers, generic agents, a summoned monstrosity, and a mind controlled super team.

The scary thing was that we were realizing that the individuals responsible were Eurostar. (the 4th ed team except a summoner named Lord Hellock (replacing the Whip who I didn't like) So, our rather large superteam (2 "NPCs" (the GM's characters) and 6 players) realized they were likely going to face off against a team of equal size but far more power. The heroes planned the final encounter fairly well. They managed to catch Eurostar off guard and the combat seemed to be going fairly well after one turn. Then it became a rout. Our mentalist went down and with out her to keep Mentalla busy we started to fall like stones.

Then with the players on the ropes, Fiacho begins his speechifying. The players are getting angry, Fiacho is basically humiliating them. When the ceilling of the warehouse where the battle was taking basically disintigrates; my "co-Gm" stands and describes our 500 pt characters slowly, heroically, descending on to the scene and we fight the battle again, this time as characters on equal ground. The weaker heroes regroup and head off to stop the assassination while the 'Big Guns' engage Eurostar teamo y teamo. This fight lasts the rest of the night and in the end the heroes are victorious. It was the coolest scenario we ever ran. My co-GM was good for ideas.

My martial aritst Black Cat was the team tactician, and it was a running joke in character that the team never really did the tactics she came up with. They would for a phase or two, and then they would go haring off on thier own.

So we were offplanet fighitng a bunch of monsters that the GM had basically adapted from the videogame Doom. We get to the final fight after defeating the minions, and there was the cyberdemon 30 or 40 fet tall and twice as ugly. That was the end of the session with all the PCs going "Ohhh crap!"

Now as a special rule, the GM would let you make called shots on the hit location chart if you wanted to take the penalty. So in the intervenining week I came up with a bunch of stuff to do, especially the interaction of low DCV from growth and the placed shot modifiers, talked it over with the players, but not the GM. and when the next session started, Cat barked out the orders (I was feeling very Cyclops or Capt America here), and we did our thing.

The Energy projector hit it with a huge sight and hearing flash (thunder and lightning)The speedster (Mach) carried the brick, who had shrinking on, to full speed and let her go- treating as a move through with Mach's movement. At the point of impact - full shrink to grow velocity move through. No called shot because of the penalites from velocity, but 36" movement, and 5 dice from shrink/growth, and a 75 STR. The flying speedster did the same thing with blackcat - her with a high dice flying side kick and his velocity - placed shot to the head. The other two range speciliasts took a vital's shot. All co-ordinated because we had been practicing in character so our teamwork was pretty good.

The thing fell down, out cold, in 12. We just kept it there.

Gm was amused, and Cat got the one time of perfect teamwork.