The beginning......?

Guest WhammeWhamme

Guest WhammeWhamme

Okay, since things are hetting up...

I'll elaborate on the background.

I don't have a good name for the aliens yet incidently; anyone with ideas, well, they'd help.

Monday, June 2nd, 2003: A massive metal disc was observed moving at barely sublight speeds towards Earth. Public cries of 'the aliens are coming' reached fever pitch overnight.

Tuesday, June 3rd, 2003: The Earth was invaded. By aliens. The disc came to a stop over the island nation of New Zealand. A shimmering opaque white force barrier surrounded the country. Attempts to cross the barrier from outside were unsuccessful. Conventional explosives had no appreciable effect on the barrier, so sterner measures were planned...

Wednesday, June 4th, 2003: The barrier exploded, sended shards of energy in all directions. Some shards bounced off the edges of the atmosphere; no part of the world wholly escaped this. Where had lain a sleepy little nation was a society that seemed to be unknowably advanced into the future, but one led by warlike aliens.

Five new generations now lived side by side with those of the past, with no person seemingly aged past 25. For those who want the statistics, 180 million had sprung forth seemingly overnight.

But as the world watched in horror, another strange event happened...

From the sun leapt flames, each precisely incinerating one of the alien overlords. When the last was gone, a voice, neither man nor woman nor yet a child spoke. 'THIS WORLD IS NOT FORGOTTEN' it said, and was silent.

Then the disc, flying above, slowly fell to earth. It circled the globe thrice before landing in (I haven't decided; subject to editing) in the United States.

A power struggle for the control of the technology left with the disappearance of the aliens begins. No one really understands how it works, but empirical study works well...

Thursday, 5th June 2003: Normal people struck by the shards begin exhibiting strange abilities. News reports flood in from around the world...

Campaign Guidelines, initial:

Tone of the campaign will be fairly hopeful etc; what role PC's will take in this new world is, well, undecided. This New World is simpler than the real world.

Powers:

Shard Superpowers need to be themed.

Technological powers may be subject to arbitrary change, and human dabblers and metahuman geniuses are both still working with alien tech; any grasp *will* be sketchy.

There *is* a magic option; PM with those, publish the 'official' concepton the board.

The people inside the Dome have had their lives extended; any 'human but more than just that...' concepts would be best placed here; they're all biologically engineered to be superior humans.

Notes:

I'm steering clear of *any* religious connotations: magic is magic, and predates any religion currently practiced. There may well be a god or gods; I'm just not touching that with a ten foot pole. k? :rolleyes

If you're intensely political, well, shush. The world stopped having any connection with reality four days ago. :cool:

I will be arbitrary but even handed. Deal. :D :

What *you* can do:

Post character ideas if you're interested. If there isn't a reason not to, this thread just became Command Page Central.

Give suggestions.

Like Rage said, this'll be a PBeM.

Incidently, he's Co-GM.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Other things:

For the tights effect: Fairly common alien defensive fabric is DEF 7, and stretchy.

The added New Zealand population lives in the grossly inflated cities, and in the massive off-shore arcologies the aliens built.

Alien tech *doesn't* extend to creating AI's. 'Ghost in the Machine' is maybe okay. Hence, tech doesn't extend to AI.

The Aliens were vegetative lifeforms with powerful telekinesis and mental senses (they communicate telepathically, and with US via machines). The ship still houses exactly the original population, as they root in one spot, unless they are neutered, in which case they can use their TK to fly. They bred slowly, so their population was in the thousands at the time of destruction.

The neutered aliens have a few survivors; there'll be a package if someone wants to be one (and is really persuasive/clever).

The NZ society that has for now formed is dominated by the older, pro-past factions, as they were the more experienced underlings. They do not allow anyone to leave with technology. Yes, they've only had a day; they've planning this for most of a century.

Tech in the Semi-Alien World is now massively advanced; of course.

POWER LEVELS:

This is fairly high powered: The 'normals' include 180 million genetically engineered supermen after all...

300 Base (No typo)+100 Disadvantages

Hunteds will be rare among non-New Zealand based characters; they were normal people less than a week ago. Enemies will be made, but no points for that people. :)

75 AP cap.

other guidelines to follow; just keep em reasonable for now. That means no SUPEREVERYTHING MAN.

What I mean by themed for Shard Powers is keep away from 'He's superstrong, and he teleports, and he controls minds....'

More Coming Soon at a message board near you...

:D

There's Hope???

The tone is "Hopeful"? You mean no decaying appocolyptic whatever we do we're doomed and everyone wears black to mourn the passing of the world vibe?

Fantastic. :)

I definitely need to think of something for this one. Thanks Whammewhamme and Rage.

this is just a gratuitis bump.

Nooooooooo For some reason I feel i have to have a topic on a post! Even though its never stopped me before.

So yeah, I think if we got the white supremists into a room and the amish into another room, we would have to minority groups in rooms next to each other and could declare them as dependants.

Originally posted by WhammeWhamme

Anyone got a good suggestion for where to have the ship crash?

An industrial/intellectual hub would be good. I dunno...

Silicon valley?

The Bible Belt, Orlando? Detroit?, How about that fine Mexican City- New Mexico. ;)

Guest WhammeWhamme

The Flight of SS Overlord....

The disc, once out of control, spun round the world. It's course slid it smoothly, at all times equidistant from the core. Then it's third pass took it over New Mexico. Instantly, it flipped forwards, as though crashing into a barrier, spinning out of control and crashing in the desert.

Overnight, a tent city of scientists and military personnel sprang up. Rumours abound about the wonders within. Officially, no one has tried, or at least no one has succeeded, at entering. Yet.

:eek:

I'd recommend a bit of editing to the background, actually, thus....

1) The ship should 'come out of warp' somewhere around Jupiter, and be detected and approaching Earth for a few days (remember 'Independence Day'?). It should also be very large -- Long Island or larger. (Hey, maybe it's oblong, as large as the North and South Islands -- fits in right over the two?)

2) Have the ship first circle the planet a few times, hunting for a good spot; NZ was perhaps chosen because of its size relative to the ease-of-access of geothermal energy. (Hawaii would be as good, but it's so small...)

3) The energy field shouldn't throw out shards; I mean, 'realistically' a magnetic field doesn't toss off pieces. Irradiate, yes, but that's a different story. Instead of having the energy field's detonation and the ship crash being two separate occurrences, why not combine them? The energy field goes up (along with 200,000,000 cubic yards of irradiated seawater), and when the aliens are taken out by Mysterious Solar Space Guy, he takes out the ship, too. The ship -- perhaps it's in geosynchronous orbit -- breaks up, and orbiting chunks begin re-entering earth's atmosphere. Many pieces ("Little things, the size of basketballs and Volkswagens and stuff...") survive relatively intact, cabinet-equivalents containing advanced technology.

So what happens next? 3rd-World powers leap to the forefront for two weeks, then once again become yesterday's news. Indonesian separatists separate from Indonesia, then suddenly get separated from life as their mysterious technology blows up (or consumes them all, muahahaha). Citizens from Carson City to Katmandu find themselves 'irradiated' from rainwater from the New Zealand Event (which, by the way, you should invent a cool name for -- Marvel's 'New Universe' had 'the White Event', you should have something similar). Citizens begin to display superpowers; other people find Alien Tech Gizmos in the chicken coops and figure out how to use them, though probably not how they work.

Incidentally, while I approve of having a massive increase in the population of the 'occupied territory', I'd also recommend that they aren't 'happy shiny people', all with superpowers. If this place was 'accellerated in time', while in general you may want the humans to live extended lifespans, there needs to be a reason the Mysterious Solar Space Guy blew the aliens away to 'protect Earth'. Perhaps the NZers were enslaved, their lifespans artificially extended in order to extend their usefulness. Unless you want New Zealand to become the Premier World Power -- 150 million superpowered citizens will do that, especially when the rest of the world only has a handful -- you might consider giving them 'merely' an extended lifespan, a bit of a boost to their CON, and, well, whatever minimal other stuff they'd need to not be CONSTANTLY squished by the Evil Alien Overlords.

All things considered, this isn't a bad idea. I think my first move would be to have a supergenius/mystic acquire some of the 'Alien Tech', figure it out, then promptly conquer a small (insert continent here) nation before starting to plot world domination. Dr. Doom is quite my favorite Bad Guy, mostly because he can often be misunderstood...

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Wyrm Ouroboros

I'd recommend a bit of editing to the background, actually, thus....

1) The ship should 'come out of warp' somewhere around Jupiter, and be detected and approaching Earth for a few days (remember 'Independence Day'?). It should also be very large -- Long Island or larger. (Hey, maybe it's oblong, as large as the North and South Islands -- fits in right over the two?)

2) Have the ship first circle the planet a few times, hunting for a good spot; NZ was perhaps chosen because of its size relative to the ease-of-access of geothermal energy. (Hawaii would be as good, but it's so small...)

3) The energy field shouldn't throw out shards; I mean, 'realistically' a magnetic field doesn't toss off pieces. Irradiate, yes, but that's a different story. Instead of having the energy field's detonation and the ship crash being two separate occurrences, why not combine them? The energy field goes up (along with 200,000,000 cubic yards of irradiated seawater), and when the aliens are taken out by Mysterious Solar Space Guy, he takes out the ship, too. The ship -- perhaps it's in geosynchronous orbit -- breaks up, and orbiting chunks begin re-entering earth's atmosphere. Many pieces ("Little things, the size of basketballs and Volkswagens and stuff...") survive relatively intact, cabinet-equivalents containing advanced technology.

So what happens next? 3rd-World powers leap to the forefront for two weeks, then once again become yesterday's news. Indonesian separatists separate from Indonesia, then suddenly get separated from life as their mysterious technology blows up (or consumes them all, muahahaha). Citizens from Carson City to Katmandu find themselves 'irradiated' from rainwater from the New Zealand Event (which, by the way, you should invent a cool name for -- Marvel's 'New Universe' had 'the White Event', you should have something similar). Citizens begin to display superpowers; other people find Alien Tech Gizmos in the chicken coops and figure out how to use them, though probably not how they work.

Incidentally, while I approve of having a massive increase in the population of the 'occupied territory', I'd also recommend that they aren't 'happy shiny people', all with superpowers. If this place was 'accellerated in time', while in general you may want the humans to live extended lifespans, there needs to be a reason the Mysterious Solar Space Guy blew the aliens away to 'protect Earth'. Perhaps the NZers were enslaved, their lifespans artificially extended in order to extend their usefulness. Unless you want New Zealand to become the Premier World Power -- 150 million superpowered citizens will do that, especially when the rest of the world only has a handful -- you might consider giving them 'merely' an extended lifespan, a bit of a boost to their CON, and, well, whatever minimal other stuff they'd need to not be CONSTANTLY squished by the Evil Alien Overlords.

All things considered, this isn't a bad idea. I think my first move would be to have a supergenius/mystic acquire some of the 'Alien Tech', figure it out, then promptly conquer a small (insert continent here) nation before starting to plot world domination. Dr. Doom is quite my favorite Bad Guy, mostly because he can often be misunderstood...

1) Who said anything about warp? They have time manipulation. As for size, well, massive spacecraft is cinematic, but less plausible.

2) I'm not saying *why* they made their decision at all... :P

Circling is a good idea in some ways, but any invader worth his salt knew the terrain at least a week in advance. :)

3) Wow, lots here.

Random oder to the points:

-They're not superpowered per se, they're enhanced. There is a difference; they're essentially all human, but modified to better able to fight, operate the tech, and to be more controllable. PWP? Yes, but not for long... 150mill 'gene perfect' individuals isn't that much of an edge especially considering:

-The energy dome exploded outwards. Not inwards. No powers for you in there. :P

-The fragments of tech makes a really good campaign, but not one I'm comfortable running. I want gradual effect, not cataclysm.*

- I agree, not all 'happy shiny people with superpowers'. This part needs to unfold though. Carefully.

-On reflection, I kinda like the idea of 'Premier World Power'. :P

-MSSGuy (and incidently, that event is anything but fully explained...) has plenty of reasons to 'protect Earth' by popping the bubble. The domed zone seems geared for war. And yes, they were not glad about the alien invasion deal. Hence my comment about 'they've prepared for a century': they've been waiting and hoping for an opportunity to break free.

-The crash and the burst were connected. The burst was followed by the burning, and the burning cause the crash.

-I'm thinking 'the Shattering' but it don't have the right feel.

But wow. Another critque like that and I need to write 'this is how it began' all over again.

* I am aware the event itself was big and influential all by itself; the impact however will take time.

Oh, and Southern Cross: 150mill divided, squabbling revolutionary type superagents is...less impressive.

This need to draw the US in...

...resist it. I think the coolest part about this game is how the world would change if NZ and OZ became the dominant nations. The US and Japan and China would put pressure on them to share the tech with the world, and NZ would say "not until you dismantle your nuclear programs". And when the US cooks up a reason to invade NZ, the Sydney Flying Rugby Team takes out the US 7th fleet...

Re: This need to draw the US in...

Originally posted by dbsousa

...resist it. I think the coolest part about this game is how the world would change if NZ and OZ became the dominant nations. The US and Japan and China would put pressure on them to share the tech with the world, and NZ would say "not until you dismantle your nuclear programs". And when the US cooks up a reason to invade NZ, the Sydney Flying Rugby Team takes out the US 7th fleet...

Yeah well our rugby teams with super powers would crush you all like bugs. Like BUGS.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Well, since this would otherwise languish on page three or later...

The New Men (Man, Optimized)

13 STR 23

24 DEX 18

16 CON 18

4 BOD 12

8 INT 18

0 EGO 10

8 PRE 18

4 COM 18

3 PD 8

4 ED 8

12 SPD 4

2 REC 10

2 END 40

7 STN 40

===

Skills, Perks, Talents, Powers

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Computer Programming 13-

3 Deduction 13-

3 Demolitions 13-

3 Electronics 13-

3 Mechanics 13-

3 Paramedic 13-

3 Science Skill: Mathematics 13-

3 Systems Operations 13-

2 Weapon Familiarity: Small Arms

2 Weapon Familiarity: Common Melee Weapons

3 Alert: +1 to Perception Rolls

10 Antibodies: Life Support: Immunity to Terrestrial Diseases

14 Battle Armour: 7/7 Armour, OIF (Mandrian Battle Armour)

5 Clear Vision: 5pts Sight Flash Defense

5 Expanded Spectra: Ultraviolet Vision

9 Futuristic: +3 with All Technical Skills, Only in regards to 'Earthly Technology' (-3/4)

3 Longevity: Life Support: Slowed Aging

3 Malleable: Mental Awareness

10 Skilled: Skill Level: +1 Overall

3 Tirelessness: Life Support: Reduced Need to Sleep

==

15 Physical Limitation: Malleable (Common, Greatly)

10 Watched: High Command (More Powerful than Character, Non-Combat Influence) 8-

===

New Man Leader

8 +4 EGO (14 Total)

10 Mind Link: Any New Man

24 Multipower: Psionic Powers. 15- Activation

u2 3d6 EGO Attack

u2 6d6 Telepathy

u2 6d6 Mind Control

u2 STR 20 Telekinesis

0 'Physical Limitation: Malleable' is instead 'Psychological Limitation: Arrogant'

===

+50

New Man Soldier

5 Tactics 14-

8 +1 with All Combat

31 Blaster Pistol: Multipower (50), 32 Charges, OAF

u3 Stun: 10d6 Energy Blast

u3 Kill: 3d6+1 RKA

===

+50

Notes:

-Physical Limitation: Malleable; Whenever the Character is affected by a Mental Power or is PRE Attacked, if EGO/PRE +10 or greater is achieved, they take a level higher of effect.

Hey, with 400pt heroes, you need awesome cannon fodder... :)

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by WhammeWhamme

Well, since this would otherwise languish on page three or later...

New Man Leader

8 +4 EGO (14 Total)

10 Mind Link: Any New Man

24 Multipower: Psionic Powers. 15- Activation

u2 3d6 EGO Attack

u2 6d6 Telepathy

u2 6d6 Mind Control

u2 STR 20 Telekinesis

0 'Physical Limitation: Malleable' is instead 'Psychological Limitation: Arrogant'

===

+50

Incidently, these Leaders are the result of a handful of Mandrian genes being transplanted to human test subjects. They are the only known non-Shard mentalists on the planet, and so the only ones with experience.

And Mandrians are/were the aliens.

Note:

Soldier/Leader New Men are 300pts; PCs could be veterans, or ones who developed unusually mentally and/or physically.

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Hermit

But...but the aliens always land in New York, it's like a rule or something ... ;)

Well, Manhattan is an island, and has a fine tradition of being traded for shiny trinkets. :D