The beginning......?

Guest WhammeWhamme

Guest WhammeWhamme

The VIPER thread, and the rediscovery of a paragraph of mad scribblings on ideas for a campaign brought an idea I once had to the forefront of my mind.

Okay, first things first. I don't get to have a FTF group 'cause are scarce round here... Although if this idea doesn't have PBeM opportunity I might just have to try new avenues.

So, anyway...

What do people think of this campaign premise:

One day, the world changed. A massive alien ship enters the solar system, and lands itself in orbit directly over a certain small island nation...

Before there's time for any significant action, an opaque forcefield dome completely cuts it off from the outside world. An hour later, the forcefield explodes in a shower of energy particles, the spaceship crashes in the middle of another nation, and were the field was is a new nation, built with alien technology, and filled with aliens burning up in the sunlight. Looks like the field affected time...

Looks like there really is magic in the world, 'cause on investigation, nothing else could have stopped the invaders...

My twist on a 'superheroes enter *now*' catastrophe.

Opines?

EDIT:

This Campaign is fleshed out, and starting up.

Check inside for details. :)

Post for questions. :)

But...but the aliens always land in New York, it's like a rule or something ... ;)

Seriously, interesting premise... If that shield over New Ze.. uhm, the unnamed Island were containing energies, there might be an unseen ripple effect as those energies, pent up all this 'time' finally get release. Another ripple effect could come out where the ship crashed, but perhaps to a lesser extent. It definitely sounds like an interesting catalyst, and if magic has been dragged 'out of the closet' so to speak, a veritable war between mysticism and tech could easily brew.

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Hermit

But...but the aliens always land in New York, it's like a rule or something ... ;)

Seriously, interesting premise... If that shield over New Ze.. uhm, the unnamed Island were containing energies, there might be an unseen ripple effect as those energies, pent up all this 'time' finally get release. Another ripple effect could come out where the ship crashed, but perhaps to a lesser extent. It definitely sounds like an interesting catalyst, and if magic has been dragged 'out of the closet' so to speak, a veritable war between mysticism and tech could easily brew.

Ooh, I *like*. Yeah, the first major event could sooo be an all out battle between the temporally enhanced alien collaborators and the liberating magi.

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Gary Ciaramella

What causes the superheroes to have powers? You mention magic, so there could be that... and alien technology. Will there be other types of powers, and what would be their genesis?

Well....

the forcefield explodes in a shower of energy particles

I was going with 'weird radiation' there. That, +alien tech suddenly winding up in the hands of two separate nations, +magic out of the closet should let plenty of weird stuff happen.

Lots of fun, and I get to remake the world in mine own image... ;)

Now, the real question: Who would like to play in that campaign?

Why/not?

Originally posted by WhammeWhamme

Well....

I was going with 'weird radiation' there. That, +alien tech suddenly winding up in the hands of two separate nations, +magic out of the closet should let plenty of weird stuff happen.

Why/not?

I know I would.

That small island nation seems cool. Much better than all those stupid over used large annoying nations ;)

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Rage

I know I would.

That small island nation seems cool. Much better than all those stupid over used large annoying nations ;)

Why does this not surprise anyone...

:D

I wasn't intentionally avoiding using a name, honest....

the Fijians? what have they got... Ohhhh sorry yes those Australians. Maybe we should all have a PBEM or somthing.

OOT: Ha haaa haaa ahhhhhhh haaaaaaaaa we have "found" maori blod in Christian Cullen so he can play for New Zealand maori. Its almost as funny as the Fijian who played for 3 years.

read the Cia Handbook for interesting notes about Antartica.

ill post a link if anyone wants it's a common enough resource Annnnnnd

Antartica is just weird, imagine a 10 + nation race for the alien tech 'resource' with battles in the international courts as well as over a desolate wasteland(or is it? post accident).

and there are about 14k visitors every year. plenty of people to carry back the radiation.

My daughter wants me to run a Minime and the Rook campaign there.

so much fun so little time!

Originally posted by WhammeWhamme

Why/not?

Mmm... I might be interested. I could play a native of one of the stupid larger nations who gets to visit and annoy the people of this small Island nation ;)

What, we can't have the ship spin and crash on another hemisphere just to balance things out?

:)

Well, I could play a local, but I'd get all the nuances wrong. I still spell Defense with an 's' and such. :D

Hmm maybe the problem is that these are ships designed to invade the northern hemisphere and because the rotation is wrong (ie the water flows the" wrong way" ) the Ship crashed?

explains all the other ships crashing in the northern hemisphere, there were to invade the south!

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by death tribble

Small Island nation could also apply to Britain (England, Scotland and Ireland), The Isle of Man or the Isle of Wight, Ireland (in its entirety), Cyprus, Scicily, Sardinia, Corsica, Madagascar and Japan.

Okay, I guess I'd better say it now: I *meant* New Zealand, and the ship crash was my 'okay, can't cut the US out of a supers campaign...' giveaway.

Makes the world all good and right. :)

Originally posted by Hermit

Mmm... I might be interested. I could play a native of one of the stupid larger nations who gets to visit and annoy the people of this small Island nation

What, we can't have the ship spin and crash on another hemisphere just to balance things out?

Well, I could play a local, but I'd get all the nuances wrong. I still spell Defense with an 's' and such.

Well, that's awfully big of ya, but, well, see above...

Originally posted by Agent X

I would be interested but I don't know if you could deal with me role playing someone from New Zealand. I am sure I would get all the mannerisms wrong.

AWESOME!

My fevered ramblings homebrew is workin!

Soon as I have some time again, I start expandin'.

Incidently, I could use advice on this... I've never actually done the whole 'world from scratch' thing, just worked with and modifed stuff that someone else started....

(Well, unless you count the fantasy world that never got played in...)

Language Check

I was considering posting a bit of the back-story for one of the characters from my campaigns. Before doing so, I thought I'd ask about allowable language...stories involving very abusive parents are rarely pretty, particularly when said parent also has a 'substance abuse problem'. Would such a story be:

Unallowable on the board?

Allowed, but only with a "WARNING - ADULT / RACIALLY OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE" disclaimer?

or

"Language is fine, but keep everything else PG-13" ?

Cyberknight

Hmmm...years ago I ran a big Champs tourney at the Dunfey in San Mateo and the Aliens were invading the earth Because some humans use magic..."That stuf is weird and unnatural! it's too dangerous to play with! It can do anything!...anything at all we are here to save you from your selves before it is too late...What that on the scanner? Ahhh...Ahhh" Jeff Zorn was the idea man and me and John Carnahan were along for the ride....it was a cool run with 3 rounds we each ran 2 rounds me and john ran 1st round with jeff,me and john ran 2nd and jeff handled the final (we started with 24 players and lost 8 each round)

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Rage

I Totally think Whammewhamme should run a PBEM with us in it.

WHOSE WITH ME!!

Well, I guess I'll do it...

Actually, I really like this idea... ;) Oh wait, it was my idea. No wonder. :D

Seriously, oh yeah I so wanna do this.

However, ideally I'd like a Co-GM or summat, so anyone who would like to do that would have my month-long gratitude. (Eternal gratitude would require you to run if for me :P )

I think using the threadfor pitching character ideas would be a good idea too.

Who wants in on the ground floor a *damn good*idea?

:cool: