Pesky Vehicles.

Weldun

I've just made a big boo-boo. After having already given all the characters the o.k., I'm looking at the vehicle-rule-powered-armour of one PC, and realising that 25 DEF means a lot more to a vehicle than a character. (I've been playing for more than a decade, you would think that that had sunk in by now.) My main problem is that I HATE giving mooks weapons that are designed to affect specific characters, and yet, this monster needs at least 2½d6K AP to so much as scratch it, and anything more is going to turn at least two PC's into meow-mix. Especially the Cat (Half-size Devon-Rex/Long Story).

Help me non-doubling winds, and fellow HERO gamers, you're my only hope.

Re: Pesky Vehicles.

Actuallly, one of the other PCs has more than 25 PD.

The problem with DEF 25 on a vehicle is that vehicles only take BODY, not STUN. The counterbalance is that the suit loses fuctionality as it takes damage, but first, it has to take damage.

Ah ok.. right... can't Stun the guy. That's the part I was missing.

Even beyond that, in most cases, you can't even HURT the guy inside unless you punch through the Vehicle's armor (depending on the vehicle, of course). On the other hand, there is an odd unique flaw I just realized in the 'Vehicular Power Armor' model ... you can't use Indirect attacks to bypass personal defenses (like Armor, even a powersuit), but a vehicle wouldn't qualify as a personal defense.

Even beyond that' date=' in most cases, you can't even HURT the guy inside unless you punch through the Vehicle's armor (depending on the vehicle, of course). On the other hand, there is an odd unique flaw I just realized in the 'Vehicular Power Armor' model ... you can't use Indirect attacks to bypass personal defenses (like Armor, even a powersuit), but a vehicle wouldn't qualify as a personal defense.[/quote']

IIRC, the Powersuit vehicle in TUV avoided this problem with a limitation on the vehicle DEF... something similar to Feedback from forcewalls... around a -1/2 limit that makes the vehicle DEF act like Personal DEF for purposes of the operator.

Actually, thinking more.. I'm pretty sure it was called Personal DEF.

IIRC, the Powersuit vehicle in TUV avoided this problem with a limitation on the vehicle DEF... something similar to Feedback from forcewalls... around a -1/2 limit that makes the vehicle DEF act like Personal DEF for purposes of the operator.

Actually, thinking more.. I'm pretty sure it was called Personal DEF.

I don't have TUV, but that certainly sounds reasonable.

I had a player in a game once who wanted to play this type of character. We (the player and I) limited his DEF to the DC max for the campaign. This meant that if he got hit with a good shot, his armor (vehicle) would be damaged. Then it was just a matter of refering to the Vehicle Damage Table in the FReD whenever the armor (vehicle) took BODY damage. I'll post the character later if anyone's interested.

...LV-426 lifeform ??with facehugger and chestburster along too ??

Cool !!!

Well, hopefully they catch it before it gets to lay an egg, let alone get that far.

But between the mooks w/ nets and it's acid, the suit should be in enough danger to keep the pilot concerned.