Tell me of your Hero Point/Dramatic Editing mechanics

buzz

Re: Tell me of your Hero Point/Dramatic Editing mechanics

HERO points in my game, and have been using them for well over a decade.

Every player gets 2 a session. If they aren't used by the end of the session they are lost. Great roleplaying and great ideas can earn more in game. In some ways there are "GM thinks that was cool" reward points. Really re-inforcing the tone I want can get them too - and I explain exactly what tone I am after.

Basically each point allows a die roll of 1d6. You can then take the results of that roll and add it to OCV, DCV, Damage, Your skill roll ect. It lasts one action. If the result isn't enough, you can add another, and again until you get what you want. The dice can be spent after results are declared. ie

GM:"You missed"

Player "Crud, I'll blow a hero point" and rolls a 5. That adds 5 to his ocv

GM "Okay, you hit"

We also allow a HERO point to push without the extra end cost, if the situation is approriate.

taking it to a Meta-Game Level: At the begining of each session/scenario roll 3D6 for each Die Of Luck' date=' write the number down. Any time you roll you can switch out one of your Luck Rolls for one of your other Rolls.[/quote']

Switching out so there's still a roll there? Sounds interesting. Sure, you could "trade up" by switching out rolls that were better than you needed for rolls that just made it, so the really good roll would be there and available when you needed it, but I like the idea that you could choose to fumble on one roll you would have made, in order to have a "good roll" in reserve later on.

Might work more fairly with a few modifications for when the switch can be done.

Switching out so there's still a roll there? Sounds interesting. Sure, you could "trade up" by switching out rolls that were better than you needed for rolls that just made it, so the really good roll would be there and available when you needed it, but I like the idea that you could choose to fumble on one roll you would have made, in order to have a "good roll" in reserve later on.

Might work more fairly with a few modifications for when the switch can be done.

Sorry, not switching out as in changing them, replacing is a better word. You can only replace as many rolls as you have levels of Luck.

If I ever get the time and the players, I am planning on using a variant of the old Plot Points system by Sean Patrick Fannon. However, instead of using an artificially added stat (in a game that some think already has too many stats), I was thinking of paying the costs with Experience Points. I view it as the characters using what they have learned to help them out of a jam.

Yes, this system will likely slow down character development, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. It has always bothered me that RPG characters have backgrounds that have them getting to the game's starting point over 18 years or more, slowly gaining their attributes, skills and abilities up to a "starting character" level, but then, when the game starts, they double or triple in capabilities in six months of game time. The thing that may be difficult to balance is making sure the players do not forsake character development in favor of instant gratification.

...I was thinking of paying the costs with Experience Points.

This is what GURPS 4e does, actually.

I considered it, but EPs are already pretty minimal in HERO. On top of this, I wasn't sure I liked the idea of forcing a player to choose between advancing their PC or fudging a roll. If you ever wanted to dial up the "fudge point" usage for a really wahoo game, the PCs would be screwed.

Pushing your Luck :D

I love it! Repped, stolen, quoted, and generally :hail:

I should've said before that I also allow the bad guys a few Action Points based on how many points the Heroes are spending, so what goes around has a tendancy to come around. But I never though of giving characters temporary bad luck! :sneaky:

Not to derail the thread' date=' but I tend to like mechanics that bring fudging (on both sides of the screen) out in the open. I also like the idea of players having some ownership over the dramatic aspects of play. Given that HERO is supposedly intended for "cinematic" adventures, I think it's entirely appropriate to allow for some sort of player-fudge mechanic.[/quote']

I tend to agree, but again it really depends on the type of game I'm running. Pulp? You betcha. Gritty post-apocalypse Cthulu cyberpunk? Sorry, you gotta takes your lumps.