Martial Artist Suggestion

Supreme

I've decided that I play too many bricks, and that the next character should be an uber-martial-artist. I want this character to be completely human: no super-human abilities at all. That's not to say that I won't take any talents. So, I'd like a couple of suggestions along these lines.

First, what talents do people recommend? I haven't played a lot of martial artists. Which talents aren't worth it, which ones shouldn't be done without?

Second, I want to come up with a good name. Now, rather than suggesting a name, can anyone suggest any good web sites or books with information on Chinese cultural symbolism? I don't want to name a character "Jade Monkey" unless I know the significance of Jade and monkies in Chinese culture.

Thanks Supreme!

Combat Sense

Blind Fighting

Find Weakness

Analyze Style

These four would be talents/skills that I would think are essential to the supertrained but still human, martial artist. (I call these types of characters "adepts" in my game. They don't test as superhuman, but can perform superhuman acts... like superleap... very high dex and speed, etc.)

Good luck. I'm running an all martial arts sub-campaign in my world, right now. It's a lot of fun to see how many martial artists can distinguish themselves through SFX, skills and powers. (This level of martial arts has chi blasts, fire fists, etc., so it is really superhero level.)

You must be the Monkey King!

Don't call him Goku, though. Call him Son Wu Kong (that's one of his chinese names).

Now he's a kung fu fighting, staff swinging, butt kicker. Pure martial artists are often tougher than they appear. Sure, they don't have any fancy dim mak powers or anything, but all those points are going into sheer MA madness.

Originally posted by Acroyear

You must be the Monkey King!

Don't call him Goku, though. Call him Son Wu Kong (that's one of his chinese names).

Now he's a kung fu fighting, staff swinging, butt kicker. Pure martial artists are often tougher than they appear. Sure, they don't have any fancy dim mak powers or anything, but all those points are going into sheer MA madness.

Well, according to the site, the Monkey King is a master of disguise, and is generally representative of curiosity. Not what I'm going for.

Re: Martial Artist Suggestion

Originally posted by Supreme

I've decided that I play too many bricks, and that the next character should be an uber-martial-artist. I want this character to be completely human: no super-human abilities at all. That's not to say that I won't take any talents. So, I'd like a couple of suggestions along these lines.

First, what talents do people recommend? I haven't played a lot of martial artists. Which talents aren't worth it, which ones shouldn't be done without?

Second, I want to come up with a good name. Now, rather than suggesting a name, can anyone suggest any good web sites or books with information on Chinese cultural symbolism? I don't want to name a character "Jade Monkey" unless I know the significance of Jade and monkies in Chinese culture.

Thanks Supreme!

Defense Manuever is something I would suggest. Plus If you have access to it, there are lots of nice martial arts in the Ultimate Martial Artist.

Re: Re: Martial Artist Suggestion

Originally posted by Tamashii2000

Defense Manuever is something I would suggest. Plus If you have access to it, there are lots of nice martial arts in the Ultimate Martial Artist.

I'm well aware of the awesome accomplishment that is the UMA. I pprogrammed all of the maneuvers listed there into my character-generator spreadsheet. You just type in the name of the maneuver and it appears on your maneuvers list complete with adjustments for OCV, DCV, and all DCs. It also has the cost listed so you can type it in. For this guy, I'm just putting in all of the non-redundant (i.e., I'm only buying one block, not all three) maneuvers I can stand. That comes to about 35 points or so.

You may at least want to consider looking at Ninja Hero. There are several Martial Artists of varying levels.

Skipping redundant maneuvers is a good idea to get bang for the buck. I like to use either Defensive Strike or Offensive Strike as the basis for the attacks. Or a custom Strike Maneuver (+2 OCV, +2 DCV, Str Strike, 4 points). You can make up the damage with DCs (for Defensive) and Skill levels to make up the OCV and DCV differences (if you use Offensive).

If you really find you're spending a lot of points, you may want to consider a multipower, kinda like Teleios's.

D

Originally posted by misterdeath

You may at least want to consider looking at Ninja Hero. There are several Martial Artists of varying levels.

Skipping redundant maneuvers is a good idea to get bang for the buck. I like to use either Defensive Strike or Offensive Strike as the basis for the attacks. Or a custom Strike Maneuver (+2 OCV, +2 DCV, Str Strike, 4 points). You can make up the damage with DCs (for Defensive) and Skill levels to make up the OCV and DCV differences (if you use Offensive).

If you really find you're spending a lot of points, you may want to consider a multipower, kinda like Teleios's.

D

I'm not too worried about the points. I've been playing this game for almost 20 years. The average other player in the game has been playing for 20 months. So the pressure to make the most point-packed character is significantly reduced. Plus, I rather enjoy the sport of making a deliberately inefficient character work. Also, I wouldn't allow MA maneuvers in an MP, so I shouldn't try to make a character with the same.

So it seems like everyone is recommending (in order of posted frequency):

Defense Maneuver ("Blind Fighting" is Defense Maneuver, right?)

Combat Sense

Find Weakness

Analyze Style

What do people think of "Rapid Attack"?

Yep, those are good ones.

Blind Sight is Combat Sense (I know where you are and so, can paste you anyways.)

Defense Maneuver is "You don't get a free shot because I'm unaware."

(By MP I meant.

45 Martial Arts.

3u 1)strikes HA 6d6 0 End (+1/2), HA (-1/2)

3u 2)holds Str +30, 0 End (+1/2), Only for Grabs, Holds, Throws, and Disarms (-3/4)

what have you other stuff (Desolid makes a wonderful ultimate dodge, and Force Wall make a nice super block))

D

Originally posted by Supreme

Well, according to the site, the Monkey King is a master of disguise, and is generally representative of curiosity. Not what I'm going for.

Well, he's more of a general jerk-o, really, who defied the gods and such until he obtained his own godhood. Edited his name from the book of life so death couldn't come get him, stole a pillar from heavenly temple (that's the staff, which has limitless length), etc. But the big story for him was the Journey West (famous story), in which he was forced to be a good guy a help people, essentially, by, iirc, a circlet/crown that caused him pain if acted like his usual jerko, selfish self.

So he could be like an ex-criminal trying to make up for his bad deeds.

I don't think I'd really use the word "curious" to sum up the kind of person he was...but *shrug*

One ability I would strongly recomend is 50% Damage Reduction, Luck Based, Non Persistant (AKA Amazing Combat Luck, or You just Nicked me). This will let you stay in the game with out being bullet proof

Another Goody:

27 Weapons Arsenal: 1d6 HKA, VarAdvantage +1/2 (+1), VarFx(+1/4), 0 End, (+1/2) OIF (-1/2), this represents a number of weapons he carries on his person, add a -1/2 weapon only changes at Arsenal if you wish

A few dice of Luck is good...

Well, he's more of a general jerk-o, really, who defied the gods and such until he obtained his own godhood. Edited his name from the book of life so death couldn't come get him, stole a pillar from heavenly temple (that's the staff, which has limitless length), etc. But the big story for him was the Journey West (famous story), in which he was forced to be a good guy a help people, essentially, by, iirc, a circlet/crown that caused him pain if acted like his usual jerko, selfish self.

I don't think I'd really use the word "curious" to sum up the kind of person he was...but *shrug*

Well, curious and meddlesome -- or "troublemaking".

I did some more digging and found that the cricket was seen as a symbol for a courageous "warrior spirit". I like it because its unusual and a little humble-sounding to my western ears. So i'm going to go for one of the following:

Iron Cricket

Red Cricket

Bamboo Cricket

Jade Cricket

Red Jade Cricket

Golden Cricket

I'm kind of leaning towards either Iron Cricket, or Red Cricket. Red is supposed to be an "anti-evil" color. Of course Bamboo also represents integrity (as opposed to growing one inch a day). As for all the weapons and what-not I'm leaning away from those.

My evolving concept for the character is that a group of good-guy Chinese martial-arts mystics were preparing to implant a "golden egg" of martial wisdom and might into a guy they had been grooming for the role of champion for many years. Unfortunately, the forces of evil managed to assassinate him. Forced to find a new vessel quickly, the mystics scrambled and found the most viable candidate (based upon proximity, familial relations, and pureness of heart). What they found was Albert Chan, a comic-book reading American-born third cousin of the originally intended vessel. Al has been imbued with the spiritual energy of the "Golden Egg" meaning that he has the martial wisdom of centuries. Unfortunately, Al's own personal "wisdom" can sometimes be a bit of a problem.

The cricket (grasshopper moreso... is there a difference?) was the basis for the powers of the original Kamen Rider(s) which has turned into a decades spanning live action superhero TV show(s) in Japan.

The more modern ones stray from that basic concept, but a guy with grasshopper powers is still a rough cookie. Strength, speed, jumping, armor, etc...

The cricket (grasshopper moreso... is there a difference?) was the basis for the powers of the original Kamen Rider(s) which has turned into a decades spanning live action superhero TV show(s) in Japan.

The more modern ones stray from that basic concept, but a guy with grasshopper powers is still a rough cookie. Strength, speed, jumping, armor, etc...

Sounds like the Japanese "Gunsmoke". Yes, grasshopper powers would be cool, but not where I'm going to go with this. His abilities are all going to be martial-arts and associated talents. Though I might give him a little Chi Kung based leaping and armor, just for sheer necessity.

Two ideas for a character based on the Cricket- sleight of hand and Ventriloquism. Both allow for misdirectiona dn with Vent. you can do the classic cricket trick of sounding like you're in one spot when you're really elsewhere.

Oddly, I'd just picked up a translation of "The Journey To The West" last week and have started reading among other things.

Sun Wu-Kung is incredibly powerful. That iron rod he carried is supposed to weigh 13,000+ pounds and it was the only weapon the Dragon King had that was heavy enough to be useful to him. He's also studied immortality and been taught the Art of the Earthly Multitude. That Art lets him battle divine warriors and kick their butts. His cloud jumping skills let him leap 108,000 miles and he's ridiculously hard to hurt.

Cool story but he's nastier than a Saiyajin and has a wicked temper.

Originally posted by Superskrull

...His cloud jumping skills let him leap 108,000 miles...

Ah there's nothing like myths for hyperbole, huh? The Earth itself is only 8000 miles across and 25000 miles in circumference. 108,000 miles is nearly half the distance from the Earth to the Moon.

I should have a write up of Iron Cricket later today (work looks like its going to be boring again).

Originally posted by MisterVimes

Um... gimme?

Here 'tis. Keep in mind a couple of things.

1. This was formatted for Excel 97. Other versions of Excel, particularly for the Mac, are going to treat margins, column widths, and comment field dimensions differently so resizing may be necessary.

2. I still haven't updated the sheet for 5th Ed. Thus disads will not include Social Disadvantages. However, typing "Secret ID" or "Public ID" into the disads list will still generate the appropriate number of points.

3. READ THE COMMENTS. Without them you'll be quite lost.

Feel free to give this a try. If you spot any bugs, let me know. I also have to share credit for creating this sheet with my Friend Supreme, Peter. He helped me devise the auto-populating lists which, among other things, updates the maneuvers list when you buy martial arts maneuvers.

Enjoy!

Originally posted by Superskrull

Oddly, I'd just picked up a translation of "The Journey To The West" last week and have started reading among other things.

Sun Wu-Kung is incredibly powerful. That iron rod he carried is supposed to weigh 13,000+ pounds and it was the only weapon the Dragon King had that was heavy enough to be useful to him. He's also studied immortality and been taught the Art of the Earthly Multitude. That Art lets him battle divine warriors and kick their butts. His cloud jumping skills let him leap 108,000 miles and he's ridiculously hard to hurt.

Cool story but he's nastier than a Saiyajin and has a wicked temper.

All the great ones are engulfed in great exaggeration: Hercules had a bow that could shoot a mile, Pecos Bill rides a Tornado, Superman can fly... which is the more rediculous? ;)

I love the idea of a staff that weighs 6 tons, though setting it on a table while you tie your sandles might be a bad idea... and don't drop it on your foot!