How to do: Twins

JmOz

Re: How to do: Twins

Years back I had a pair of twins (meant to be played as two PCs) who, among other things, had the ability to swap places with one another (and *only* with one another). (The original "How do I build..." is buried somwhere in the archivews of the Champs-L list) Buying the ability as teleport became prohibitively expensive far out of proportion to the actual usefulness of the ability.

Someone very kindly proposed that giving each character a multiform (with the other firm being the other PC, linked, both must transform, existing damage carries over, etc...) made system and mathematical sense. Which, while true, also made my head hurt.

I finally wound up making a custom little XDM and handwaving a bit.

The feedback where one twin took some stun when the other was injured was another fussy bit (Wound up with a Susceptibilty: When twin takes damage)

The feedback where one twin took some stun when the other was injured was another fussy bit (Wound up with a Susceptibilty: When twin takes damage)

You can do this with Feedback on a Mind Link, if they have one that is.

My twins had Psychic Bond.

I cannot be the only person that thinks this thread title looks like a header for an article in Penthouse: Letters...

Dear Penhouse,

I never thought this would ever happen to me, but I was just about to arrest The Doa Dou, twin cat burglars who work in lingerie, when all of a suden we were hit with a lust grenade from Doctor Eros and...

If it's one player playing two characters then it's Duplication.

Duplication is by far and away my favourite power as a character design tool. The polssibilities are mind boggling. It can be a bit of a pain in the but to play for more than a one off game though..

I wrote up a set of twins for a PC to play at a con demo I was running. The twins were originally written up as two separate characters, but I decided they should be played together, and they were designed to work as effectively a single character that was in two places at once (but with different powers), so I powered them down a bit and made them Duplicates. I think it worked out well, though no one played them. Maybe I'll bring them again to the con this year and try again.

I play a bard who has an identical twin. The only rules nod to the relationship is that the bard has a REP: Thief, 8-.

His brother is a ne'er-do-well, and the bard is frequently mistaken for him. Other than that, the thief (who is an npc) is built on a very similar set of numbers.

Keith "Hollister Hamlin, Brother of Donegal" Curtis

How about some Twin related powers/skills?

:rolleyes:Great Minds Think Alike: Mind Link, with Twin, Psychic Bond (0 End) - 10 Points

:sneaky:Great Minds Fight Alike: Teamwork 14- (9 Active Points); Limited Skill - Only when coordinating with Twin. (-1 1/2) - 4 Points.

Notes: Assumes dex of 10.

:eg:We've Got Each Other's back.: Penalty Skill Levels: +3 vs. Attacked from behind or multiple attacker DCV penalties. with All Attacks (9 Active Points); Conditional Power Twin must be located within 1 hex and also engaged in combat. (-1 1/2) - 4 Points

Notes: Requires GM approval for DCV related PSLs (5er pp 66-67).

:eek:"Wait, I thought you were...": Teleportation 15", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Conditional Power Power Only Works When Twin is Teleporting to His/Her Location (Limitation value reflects that teleportation cannot be used for escape (twins only swap location) and the required coordination.; -2), Can Only Teleport To Twin's current location (fixed location). (-1), Side Effects (Twins exchange current clothing and possessions.; -1/4) (0 End) - 10 Points

Teleportation: Fixed Location (Twin's current location) - 1 Point

:eek:"Wait, I thought you were...": Teleportation 15", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Conditional Power Power Only Works When Twin is Teleporting to His/Her Location (Limitation value reflects that teleportation cannot be used for escape (twins only swap location) and the required coordination.; -2), Can Only Teleport To Twin's current location (fixed location). (-1), Side Effects (Twins exchange current clothing and possessions.; -1/4) (0 End) - 10 Points

Teleportation: Fixed Location (Twin's current location) - 1 Point

Question: If IPE was applied to this, would that mean that no one would know there was a switch made, and if Possition Shift were added, would each twin then automaticlly appear in whatever possition the other was in, making such a switch completely seemless and unnoticable?

Question: If IPE was applied to this' date=' would that mean that no one would know there was a switch made, and if Position Shift were added, would each twin then automaticlly appear in whatever position the other was in, making such a switch completely seamless and unnoticeable?[/quote']

Actually, this was my intention. I was just tired when I wrote it and overlooked Invisible Power Effect.

As the power is written, the twins could affect the exchange when they are unobserved. Also, a GM may allow them to attempt to conceal the power affects (hiding behind the door, hiding under a cloak with the back to the observer, etc...)

Biggest problem is that there is no means of coordinating the exchange, unless they have a mindlink, radios, LoS, etc...

:hex: One thing I love about the Hero System is that you can have such a rare or esoteric power.

Actually, this was my intention. I was just tired when I wrote it and overlooked Invisible Power Effect.

As the power is written, the twins could affect the exchange when they are unobserved. Also, a GM may allow them to attempt to conceal the power affects (hiding behind the door, hiding under a cloak with the back to the observer, etc...)

Biggest problem is that there is no means of coordinating the exchange, unless they have a mindlink, radios, LoS, etc...

:hex: One thing I love about the Hero System is that you can have such a rare or esoteric power.

I was thinking of including this on my set of twins. The two are alien mentalists, one with primarily telepathic powers, the other telekinetic. The two are otherwise identical, and should they juxtapose like this, no one should be able to tell they've done it until they use their powers. As it happens, they have a psychic bond (using Mind Link), so coordinating wouldn't be a problem.

Just saw this. Haven't read the whole thing (I know, why bother?).

Twins is not a Disad or Lim. It does not limit them in any way. It may be irritating to friends and familty or acquantances that keep asking are you Toby or Todd...but its just that irritating. It is just as irritating to have to tell people just how tall you are.

Not worth any pts.