Have You Used Characters from Masterminds And Madmen?

Kharis2000

Re: Have You Used Characters from Madmen & Masterminds?

Bad guys are always doing things like that to family members. :)

How are Skymaster, Lothar, the Airmada, and everything else working for you from the player perspective? I knew he (Skymaster) was on the high-end of the scale power-wise (which is why I added Lothar in, to give characters a less high-end opponent in the Airmada), so I'm curious to see how he and his organization are working out.

While I have not used any of the characters in the book yet Rob, I have found them quite intersting and full of inspiration. I will admit I tend to buy Villain Books not so much to use but to inspire for my own characters and so far I say Madmen & Masterminds is doing a great job. I can hardly wait for your Thrilling Places book.

I'm glad you liked it! Was there a character or characters that you found particularly useful inspiration-wise?

I sent Steve the draft of Thrilling Places yesterday, so with any luck you'll get to see it soon. :)

I am right there for not noticing it and continuing the mistake. Actually the Frankenstein Mob. Especially the build on Dr. Pescarelli has given me idea for a villain's power I am going to write up. I have used Amanda Boyd for ideas for a character I am playing on HERO Central. I also like your Jungle Queen and Caroline Nefertari Madison. But the rest also rock.

Re: Have You Used Characters from Masterminds & Madmen?

I'm glad you found so many folks in the book worth mentioning - having never written anything like that before, I was a bit worried that no one (besides me, anyway) would wind up liking any of the characters!

Re: Have You Used Characters from Masterminds And Madmen?

Okay, I hereby nominate myself as the doofus of the year for mistyping the title of my own book!

Don't worry, man -- some of us have Amazing Editorial Powers and can correct the mistake, making it as if it never happened. ;)

In running various convention games and games for my own PH campaign, so far I've used the Skymaster and his organization, Dr. Fang, "Col." Bruce Forsythe, and Maximilian Krieger. I have plans for several others coming up. :eg:

And now that I'm editing the Thrilling Places manuscript, I can already see how I'll work most, if not all, of the locations described into my campaign in various ways. :sneaky:

So how did Kreiger, Forsythe, and the rest go over with folks at the convention games?

And I'm glad that TP has stuff in it that it looks as if you can use for your game - although your players might not be, depending on which "Thrilling Places" they get to visit.

By way of example, in my Huntsman game, the big bruiser (who campaign history established medaled in the late 20's Olympics in Boxing) actually located someone who had a copy of Krieger's infamous training film, watched it, and swore he'd never let himself get within arm's reach of the German. He gets jumpy if people just mention Krieger's name on-game without a punch having ever been thrown.

Haven't used any of them yet, but I plan to work as many of them as possible into my game as soon as possible. Already have an opening for the Cabal and I'm sure something will come up that will let me work Dr. Fang and Skymaster into the game as well. I do plan to use them all however.

So how did Kreiger, Forsythe, and the rest go over with folks at the convention games?

The only one of those I've used in con game is Forsythe, and he only had a bit part, so I can't really offer any useful info.

Bad guys are always doing things like that to family members. :)

How are Skymaster, Lothar, the Airmada, and everything else working for you from the player perspective? I knew he (Skymaster) was on the high-end of the scale power-wise (which is why I added Lothar in, to give characters a less high-end opponent in the Airmada), so I'm curious to see how he and his organization are working out.

They work for me, but it's still early in their storylines; we haven't gone plane to plane or fist to fist with them yet.

Having been in at Lothar's "birth," I'm kind of hoping he shows up in Rob's campaign. I'll be so tempted to quote Bill Cosby at him - "I brought you into this world, I can take you out and make another who looks just like you!"

Mary Ann

I ran a one-off Pulp Hero game that featured Geistkaptain and his zombie crewmen attacking a small new england town where a college professor and his feisty niece had hired a boat to conduct ocean research.

Geistkaptain was never actually encountered. But much fun was had by the players duking it out with the zombie crew in the fog-shrouded streets (good thing that the old salt that owned the boat was so tough!). The finale was an assault on the abandonded lightout/sub pen where Geistkaptain was hiding.

The sub-pen was destroyed, but Geistkaptain and his crew got away. A lot of fun was had by all, but one player did keep muttering that she thought she had seen this on an old episode of Scooby Doo.