how to do it: strength effect lingers after moving

Re: how to do it: strength effect lingers after moving

Uncontrolled/0 END isn't something I allow - instead, use the limitation Continuing Charge to represent a power you turn on and stays on. The other option is Fantasy HERO's Lingering, which may also be what he wants in this case. Lingering is in effect a cheap side-step to the uncontrolled argument, without all that mucking about in END reserves. You can also view it as a very neat & tidy way of handling the 0 END/Uncontrolled effect.

I think, though, that Uncontrolled requires END be spent on it to keep it operational; otherwise its a perpetual motion machine. The problem doesn't become fueling the power (any sufficient number of charges or 0 END does that fine) it becomes how & when the power turns off.

Note: Lingering is an advantage that technically applies to instants (I don't think TK is, but it could be, since it requires END to use, you can 'one shot TK' something, all depends on the SFX). So you can build this as:

30 Hold This For Me; TK 15, Lingering (1 minute, +3/4); Only to Hold Object in Place (-1), No Range (TK Only works after character has placed object where he wishes it to remain, -1/2)

I disagree. Str acts in some ways like a Constant power. In other ways it is its own beast. Not only that' date=' but [i']Continuous[/i] has a few behaviors that aren't quite like a baseline Constant Power. In any case what you really need to do is allow it to be maintained at range even though it cannot be activated at range. Call it a custom Advantage if you will, but I think it is a case where the Continuous Advantage can be used a little creatively for the purpose (it allows an attack to be maintained as long as you maintain Line of Sight; you certainly can't do that with Str normally). Open up 5ER and read the discription of Continous again. I did, just before I suggested it. :)

I disagree. If we have a force field and I buy it with UBO and Uncontrolled I do not have to buy ranged. I simply use it on my target and walk away, he is then protected. Why would you make extra rules for STR when that is not in the book and there is no precedence for it?

The only aspects of STR that are being maintained are those that are constant. This isn't a continuous crush something or punch something (each requiring a new attack roll each phase)' date=' it's just pushing/holding something. Also, as said previously, Uncontrolled is by default maintainable at range even if the Power it's on has no range; it just requires adjacent contact to start it, then it continues in that location until the END runs out, regardless of what the characters does.[/quote']

Well yes they may be differnt in some significant ways, but I still like your build more. :)

Uncontrolled/0 END isn't something I allow - instead' date=' use the limitation [i']Continuing Charge[/i] to represent a power you turn on and stays on. ...

While “Continuing Charges†can do it. It would put a limit to the character that he may not want (namely being able to do something only a limited number of times. Although Fuel charges may work it would be way expensive.

As for TK yep it is a constant power so uncontrolled would be allowed.

The text states that an uncontrolled power has the entire end paid at the time of activation.

The only aspects of STR that are being maintained are those that are constant. This isn't a continuous crush something or punch something (each requiring a new attack roll each phase)' date=' it's just pushing/holding something. Also, as said previously, Uncontrolled is by default maintainable at range even if the Power it's on has no range; it just requires adjacent contact to start it, then it continues in that location until the END runs out, regardless of what the characters does.[/quote']

I guess you're right. Uncontrolled just shouldn't be required to actively maintain it at range if you keep the effect in Line of Sight. It's a little sidetrack, but there should be a way to constantly spend End on it (or at least maintain it consciously if it is bought 0 End; meaning that, unlike an Uncontrolled power it would turn off if you lose LOS, are Stunned or Knocked Out, etc.). I guess the custom, "Ranged: Only To Maintain After Activation (+1/4)," Advantage I mentioned would have to be it if people have a problem with using Continuous for this application. Eh.

My point was that Uncontrolled costs END to fuel it' date=' and if you put it 0 END, there's no END to pay to determine the duration. That's the problem.[/quote']

Solved by using a Limitation to limit the duration. The only problem then is what value to give the Limit.

I guess you're right. Uncontrolled just shouldn't be required to actively maintain it at range if you keep the effect in Line of Sight. It's a little sidetrack' date=' but there should be a way to constantly spend End on it (or at least maintain it consciously if it is bought 0 End; meaning that, unlike an [i']Uncontrolled[/i] power it would turn off if you lose LOS, are Stunned or Knocked Out, etc.). I guess the custom, "Ranged: Only To Maintain After Activation (+1/4)," Advantage I mentioned would have to be it if people have a problem with using Continuous for this application. Eh.

For something like this, TK (STR equal to character's STR) with No Range Only To Activate might be appropriate. It really depends on how the character controlls the effect. If it's a exhert and go kinda thing, Uncontrolled, if it's a touch and exhert at will, then TK.

My point was that Uncontrolled costs END to fuel it' date=' and if you put it 0 END, there's no END to pay to determine the duration. That's the problem.[/quote']

The rules support that a 0 END, Uncontrolled Power runs indefinately. However, the rules also state a specific warning about allowing such a construct for the obvious reasons.

Of course, every Uncontrolled Power must have a reasonably obvious or common method of stopping it. To use a continuous fire as an example (RKA 1d6, Continuous, 0 END, Uncontrolled), that method would be anything that would logically put out a fire (dousing it with water, using a fire extinguisher, smothering it with sand, etc). For the Uncontrolled STR build I have above, the method could easily be a successful STR vs STR roll over the object being affected by the Uncontrolled STR. Some method like this is required for all Uncontrolled builds, 0 END or not. I will note though that my build does not have a 0END Uncontrolled effect; only the Uncontrolled Advantage costs no END, the STR costs normal END (so to continuously affect something with 10 STR for 4 phases Uncontrolled, it would cost 4 END, and the effect would prematurely end should someone succeed with a STR vs STR contest over the affected object).

Also, there is nothing wrong with stating that the reasonable common of ending a 0 END Uncontrolled effect is that it automatically ends after a specific time, effectively building in a set duration though not costing the user any END to start the effect.

The other option is Fantasy HERO's Lingering, which may also be what he wants in this case. Lingering is in effect a cheap side-step to the uncontrolled argument, without all that mucking about in END reserves. You can also view it as a very neat & tidy way of handling the 0 END/Uncontrolled effect.

So you can build this as:

30 Hold This For Me; TK 15, Lingering (1 minute, +3/4); Only to Hold Object in Place (-1), No Range (TK Only works after character has placed object where he wishes it to remain, -1/2)

I would recommend just applying Lingering directly to STR. It may seem cheap, but it isn't that powerful because you can't really do anything "dymanic" with it: No attacks like punch or grab, you can't play the piano and walk away leaving the piano playing itself, you can't juggle objects and then let them juggle themselves, etc. You can only use it to apply a lingering static force in one location and direction. Not a big deal, so it shouldn't cost very much.