how to do it: strength effect lingers after moving

This is for a low-powered "super" agent game.

The idea is that the character can apply strength to something and then move away but the strength effect continues.

For instance he could hold a cup in the air, then move his hand away and the cup would keep floating for the duration. Or push against a door then run away and the door would still be "pushed" against for the duration.

The strength would only equal his own (probably 15) and it would last for maybe 5 minutes (duration could be under his control when he set it but not something he could turn off later I think).

Re: how to do it: strength effect lingers after moving

Would "continuing charge" do, where this just applies to use of "lingering strength" as opposed to other uses of strength? That would allow some nice development of the power as further XP became available...

The strength would only equal his own (probably 15) and it would last for maybe 5 minutes (duration could be under his control when he set it but not something he could turn off later I think).

I think a combination of Bloodstone's and Jomster's ideas is what you'll end up with here. I'd be interested to know what development of the power Jomster sees becoming possible with future experience, but the Uncontrolled TK with a Continuous Charge sounds about right.

Requires a "Focus of opportunity".

TK can only imitate effects of Strength, and the power can only be activated when the character is actually using their Strength like that (unless you want to have a "continuing Knockback" effect where the fist drives them back and keeps on going for 5 minutes).

This is for a low-powered "super" agent game.

The idea is that the character can apply strength to something and then move away but the strength effect continues.

For instance he could hold a cup in the air, then move his hand away and the cup would keep floating for the duration. Or push against a door then run away and the door would still be "pushed" against for the duration.

This reminds me of the old Bugs Bunny cartoons where he takes his hand out of his glove and leaves it doing something. :thumbup:

would it be no range?

does the uncontrolled make it so that it would be no range when he placed it but then he could walk away?

I am thinking a no-range uncontrolled invisible-effects tk.

10 str tk (15)

uncontrolled (+1/2)

invisible effects (+1/2)

ap: 30

no-range (-1/2)

rc: 20

or 15 str tk for rc: 30

is that it?

This just sounds like a Naked Uncontrolled Advantage on the character's STR. As per the rules for Uncontrolled, the effect will continue until the END runs out, regardless of what the character does, including walking away from the effect (or even getting stunned, knocked out or killed).

the effect will continue until the END runs out

Maybe a dedicated END reserve, then, with just enough in it to last five minutes?

That looks like it would run out faster if the effect was created multiple times, though, and recovery still has to be provided; buy down to zero Endurance, and take the Limitation that it has a Set Effect: exactly 5 minutes duration.

I would say buy the characterthe following power.

How Does He Do It: Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2) for up to 15 Active Points of Strength (11 Active Points)

This would allow the character to set his 15 Str up for 1 END per phase (22 AP efore the reduced END/2). At this rate he could do some cool stuff.

I'm not sure that Uncontrolled STR would be correct in this instance. I thought Uncontrolled, when applied to STR or Hand Attack, moves with you.

EDIT: Never mind, I think I found the source of my confusion.

Maybe a dedicated END reserve, then, with just enough in it to last five minutes?

That looks like it would run out faster if the effect was created multiple times, though, and recovery still has to be provided; buy down to zero Endurance, and take the Limitation that it has a Set Effect: exactly 5 minutes duration.

That's not how Uncontrolled works. When a constant power is Uncontrolled, the user spends a pool of END when he activates it, and that pool of END fuels the power until it runs out. If the character wanted the power to continue for 5 minutes, he's have to spend that much END when he activates the power (then doesn't need to spend any more END on it).

How Does He Do It: Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2) for up to 15 Active Points of Strength (11 Active Points)

This would allow the character to set his 15 Str up for 1 END per phase (22 AP efore the reduced END/2). At this rate he could do some cool stuff.

I would have done:

Persistant Effort: Uncontrolled (+1/2) for up to 15 Active Points of STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (10 Active Points)

Actually, that's about the same cost, same effect... nevermind. :)

I think a combination of Bloodstone's and Jomster's ideas is what you'll end up with here. I'd be interested to know what development of the power Jomster sees becoming possible with future experience, but the Uncontrolled TK with a Continuous Charge sounds about right.

Requires a "Focus of opportunity".

TK can only imitate effects of Strength, and the power can only be activated when the character is actually using their Strength like that (unless you want to have a "continuing Knockback" effect where the fist drives them back and keeps on going for 5 minutes).

As well as the "extend the duration / number of charges" route, depending on the rationale behind the power you might work on a "pre-programmed lingering strength". So on various triggers it would stop its initial task and start on a new one, possibly moving as it goes. This could be along the lines of the lingering strength actually being a summoned spirit of some kind following your orders... keep going along this path and perhaps you would even end up rebooking it as a summon?

I would have done:

Persistant Effort: Uncontrolled (+1/2) for up to 15 Active Points of STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (10 Active Points)

Actually, that's about the same cost, same effect... nevermind. :)

I thought about 0 end, but as a GM when a player makes Uncontrolled a build with 0 end on it, I get “Funny†and often veto it. I know some GM’s may be of with it, but I am usually not. However as a GM I have allowed it with the limitation that the spell last for a preset time (usually one scene) or last for one turn per 10 active points. I even made some prebuilt epic spells lasting a couple days, but it gets touchy so I did not model this one that way.

I thought about 0 end' date=' but as a GM when a player makes Uncontrolled a build with 0 end on it, I get “Funny†and often veto it. I know some GM’s may be of with it, but I am usually not. However as a GM I have allowed it with the limitation that the spell last for a preset time (usually one scene) or last for one turn per 10 active points. I even made some prebuilt epic spells lasting a couple days, but it gets touchy so I did not model this one that way.[/quote']

On no, the STR isn't 0 END, the Naked Advantage is. This build makes it so that you spend the END for the unmodified STR when you activate an Uncontrolled use.

On no' date=' the STR isn't 0 END, the Naked Advantage is. This build makes it so that you spend the END for the unmodified STR when you activate an Uncontrolled use.[/quote']

Sorry bout that I read it fast and thaught the build was 0-END on the whole thing. :)

Of course now looking at it, you have the same effect and saved a point. (You know according to the meta rules we have to use the more expensive build :rolleyes: ) of course I never liked that rule.

As well as the "extend the duration / number of charges" route' date=' depending on the rationale behind the power you might work on a "pre-programmed lingering strength". So on various triggers it would stop its initial task and start on a new one, possibly moving as it goes. This could be along the lines of the lingering strength actually being a summoned spirit of some kind following your orders... keep going along this path and perhaps you would even end up rebooking it as a summon?[/quote']

This seems more like a change of the given SFX than an extension of the power itself.

I think Continuous might be necessary if it is done with ordinary Str (that or some kind of Ranged: Only To Maintain After Activation Advantage--I'd say around +1/4). Uncontrolled, Lingering, or Continuous Charges would certainly be appropriate if the effect is to stay around after the character leaves (Line of Sight).

I think Continuous might be necessary if it is done with ordinary Str (that or some kind of Ranged: Only To Maintain After Activation Advantage--I'd say around +1/4). Uncontrolled' date=' [i']Lingering[/i], or Continuous Charges would certainly be appropriate if the effect is to stay around after the character leaves (Line of Sight).

STR is already a constant power. So you would not have to pay extra.

would it be no range?

does the uncontrolled make it so that it would be no range when he placed it but then he could walk away?

Yes, once activated, an uncontrolled power continues, even if the activating character doesn't. The character can walk away, turn his back, go to sleep, even die (although the last is not recommended).

Yes' date=' once activated, an uncontrolled power continues, even if the activating character doesn't. The character can walk away, turn his back, go to sleep, even die (although the last is not recommended).[/quote']

Phoenix: Continuous (lasts 1 day before charge wears out, then the power ends) EDM (character to safe pocket dimension) with 1 recoverable charge (takes 1 day to recover), Linked to Physical Transform (air into corpse of character), Side Effect (character dies), Linked to Resurrection (Extra Time: takes 1 day to return to life)

STR is already a constant power. So you would not have to pay extra.

I disagree. Str acts in some ways like a Constant power. In other ways it is its own beast. Not only that, but Continuous has a few behaviors that aren't quite like a baseline Constant Power. In any case what you really need to do is allow it to be maintained at range even though it cannot be activated at range. Call it a custom Advantage if you will, but I think it is a case where the Continuous Advantage can be used a little creatively for the purpose (it allows an attack to be maintained as long as you maintain Line of Sight; you certainly can't do that with Str normally). Open up 5ER and read the discription of Continous again. I did, just before I suggested it. :)

Of course now looking at it' date=' you have the same effect and saved a point. (You know according to the meta rules we have to use the more expensive build :rolleyes: ) of course I never liked that rule.[/quote']

Actually, the builds aren't 100% identical in function. With yours, the character would use his STR normally at 1/2 END without using the Uncontrolled aspects of it (simply by using his STR normally so that the Uncontrolled doesn't apply, so it's not breaking the rule about always using Modifiers). So for that extra point, he has 1/2 END & optionally Uncontrolled STR, rather than STR that is optionally Uncontrolled.

I disagree. Str acts in some ways like a Constant power. In other ways it is its own beast. Not only that' date=' but [i']Continuous[/i] has a few behaviors that aren't quite like a baseline Constant Power. In any case what you really need to do is allow it to be maintained at range even though it cannot be activated at range. Call it a custom Advantage if you will, but I think it is a case where the Continuous Advantage can be used a little creatively for the purpose (it allows an attack to be maintained as long as you maintain Line of Sight; you certainly can't do that with Str normally). Open up 5ER and read the discription of Continous again. I did, just before I suggested it. :)

The only aspects of STR that are being maintained are those that are constant. This isn't a continuous crush something or punch something (each requiring a new attack roll each phase), it's just pushing/holding something. Also, as said previously, Uncontrolled is by default maintainable at range even if the Power it's on has no range; it just requires adjacent contact to start it, then it continues in that location until the END runs out, regardless of what the characters does.