What I've learned playing a starfighter pilot

alexraccoon

Re: What I've learned playing a starfighter pilot

There are a few things you don't want to run out of on a spaceship. Air is one of the biggies.

Yeah, I'm still quoting the comic strip Freefall

http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff1000/fv00989.htm

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that Lucius only steals from the best.

Just because someone else owns the ship and calls themselves captain, doesn't mean they call all the shots. After all - you're the only one who can fly it.

Make buddy-buddy with the engineer. The two of you control the ship.

Wedge Antilles' Laws of Starfighter Combat:

1) If you survive the fight, you can say you were there.

2) Never begrudge taking a back seat to an inexperienced farm boy whose bacon you just saved six scenes ago -- he just might be a better pilot than you are.

3) The number of fighters the enemy sends to engage you is inversely proportional to the indivdual skills of their pilots.

4) If a space freighter can keep up with your fighter, it's either seriously hopped up or you're flying with the wrong squadron.

5) Watch out for the guys who are flying the prototype fighters -- odds are that both ship and pilot are significantly better than average.

Matt "The-original-Wedge-Cultist" Frisbee

Chances are that your starfighter's so small and nimble that you might just be able to get away from those slower clunkier Imperial ships chasing you by (yes, you've guessed it!) diving into an asteroid field!

Designers of gigantic, hulking starcruisers always overlook the chance that their monsterous creation might be vunerable to a small starfighter somewhere.

If your enemies have no or partial forcefields (B5 or Star Wars), find out what they overlooked, and hit them there.

If your opponents have fully-covering forcefields run off of matter-antimatter drives (Star Trek), forget about it and learn to pilot a warship ;)

Since even a light cruiser can squash you like a bug, make sure you have an ENORMOUS edge in agility.

Corolary: Don't be a starfighter pilot in a Traveller game

(In Traveller, an ultradreadnaught and a fighter both have the same theoretical maximum agility)