Superhero for review: Daddy Longlegs

Kevin Scrivner

I began this character during one of our "high DEX/normal DEX" discussions. My basic concept was, "What if someone else got ahold of Doctor Octopus' tentacles?" In this case, that someone is Eddie Perretti, a Danny Kaye/Fred Astaire wannabe whose career hasn't gone so well since musicals went out of fashion. Too bad, since he really is a good actor and singer despite his monumental ego. He stumbled upon the villain Cuttlefish's spare set of arms and decided becoming a superhero would be a good way to boost his career. Now he's sought not only by the angry criminal but the police as well, who think he's Cuttlefish.

Please let me know what you think.

Name: Daddy Longlegs

Val Char Cost

15* STR 5

17 DEX 21

15 CON 10

13 BODY 6

25 INT 15

18 EGO 16

25 PRE 15

18 COM 4

6 PD 3

6 ED 3

4 SPD 13

8 REC 4

30 END

29 STUN

*STR 55 with Tentacles

Characteristic Rolls: STR: 12-/20-, DEX: 12-, CON: 12-, INT: 14-, EGO: 13-, PER: 14-

Run: 6"/21", Swim: 2", Jump: 3"/11", Lift: 200 kg/50 tons

Cost Powers END/Roll

10 EC: "Steel Tentacles"

20 "Tentacles," Four Extra Limbs plus 40 STR (+1/2) 0 END, (-1/2) Only With Extra Limbs, (-1/2) OIF

13 "Mechanical Reflexes," Missile Deflection, All Attacks, +6 to Roll, (-1/2) OIF

16 "Telescoping Limbs," Stretching 6", (+1/2) 0 END, (-1/4) Metal Tentacles Only, (-1/2) OIF

10 "Long Stride," Running 15" (Total 21"), (-1/2) OIF, 4 END

13 "Ink Sprayer," Darkness, 4" Radius vs. Sight, (-1/2) OIF, (-1/4) 6 Continuing Charges (Last One Turn Each)

16 "Tentacles Harness," Armor 8PD/8ED, (-1/2) OIF

"Onboard Tactical Computer"

13 +4 Levels with Hand-to-Hand Combat, (-1/2) OIF

13 +4 DCV (-1/2) OIF

7 Defense Manuever IV, (-1/2) OIF

7 "Gripping Claws," Clinging, (-1/2) OIF

10 "Hard-Headed," Mental Defense 14

Cost Skills, Talents, Perks Roll

3 Acrobatics 12-

3 Acting 14-

3 Breakfall 12-

3 Climbing 12-

3 Combat Driving: Common Ground Vehicles 12-

3 Concealment 14-

3 Contortionist 12-

3 Conversation 14-

5 Cramming

3 Disguise 14-

3 High Society 14-

3 Oratory 14-

3 Mimicry 14-

3 Persuasion 14-

3 PS: Actor (PRE-based) 14-

2 PS: Dancer 11-

3 PS: Singer 12-

5 Rapid Attack Hand-to-Hand

3 Seduction 14-

3 Sleight of Hand 12-

3 Stealth 12-

9 Talent: Ambidexterous

4 Talent: Double-Jointed

5 Talent: Eidetic Memory

3 Talent: Perfect Pitch

100+ Disadvantages

20 Normal Characteristics Maximums

5 Age 40+

15 DNPC 11-: Larry, manager, Normal, Useful Skills, Unaware of Hero's Secret ID

20 Hunted 11-: Cuttlefish, More Powerful

20 Hunted 11-: The Police, More Powerful

15 Psychological Limitation: Swashbuckler, Common, Strong

15 Psychological Limitation: Glory Hound, Common, Strong

15 Social Limitation, Secret ID: Eddie Perretti, has-been movie crooner

15 Extreme Reputation 11-: Vicious Supercriminal (People Think He's Cuttlefish)

10 Professional Rivalry with Flynn Hudsawyer, Rival More Powerful, Is Unaware of Rivalry

OCV: 6 (10 with HTH Combat); DCV: 6 (10 with Tentacles); ECV: 6; Mental Def.: 14; Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

PD/rPD: 6/8 ; ED/rED: 6/8

Costs: Char.: 115 Disad.: 150

Powers: + 235 Base: + 200

Exp.: +

Total: = 350 Total: = 350

As far as 350 pt characters go I dont see anything glaringly wrong with your hero. However I would question as to whether he needs all those skills and talents you chose and if the points taken from them might not be better spent shoring up your hero's defenses and over all toughness when he gets into a fight. I dont know how you envisioned or explain away why he has these abilities but does he really need acrobatics, breakfall, concealment, contortionist, stealth, ambidexterous, double jointed, or eidetic memory? Now I love having heros with lots of skills but sometimes its better to hold off on all the skills you want in favor of making your hero more survivable. If your GM won't let you pick the skills that "make sense for your character" to have at a later point in his life without having someone teach them to you then I'd suggest taking them as familiarities or even on an everyman list with the intention to buy them at another time.

That 8- chance on a skill just means your guy knows how to do that skill in a non-stressful no hurry situation. This would fill the requirement of your hero knowing this particular thing because its in your background flavor while freeing up some points to make your hero a little more durable while fighting evil or good(if this guy turns out to be a villain after all:D ). Personally I'd use those extra points to buy some more defense and fatten up my END and STUN. I see this guy running out of those two things the fastest, especially the STUN. One good hit from any credible brick, martial artist, speedster, or blaster and this poor guy is going down for the rest of the fight. A 10D6 attack with some limitations and advantages thrown on it are pretty commmon in a 350 pt campaign and they only go up from there usually. Just my two cents worth free of charge;) . Overall though I'd say you have the beginnings of a good character who should be fun to role play. Others may agree or disagree with me.

The name threw me a little, as the Daddy Longlegs is a spider here in Australia.

The Daddy Longlegs is a spider here in America too Oberon. However it is a little thing which is harmless to humans not counting those with phobias;). The hero's name isn't the sort I'd expect to strike fear into the villains either but supposedly the Daddy Longlegs is the most venomous spider in America (it's teeth are too small to affect humans). I keep hearing the old Batman cartoons in my head with a little twist..."I am the night...I AM DADDY LONGLEGS!!!!" Just doesn't have the same oomph in my book. What are the daddy longlegs like in Australia?

Sounds like the same thing, tiny body and LONG legs. If they are they same spider (and don't just look alike) then that is interesting in itself. How many other species are successful enough that they are native on more than one continent?

BTW I agree. As a name it certainly doesn't strike fear into the heart. I named myself after a spider which looks really impressive but is just sort of harmless :)

I try not to kill them around the house, as they prey on other spiders, including redbacks (Australias answer to the Black Widow)

oberon

I'm assuming Acrobatics, Breakfall and Contortionists as well as most of the talents are there because they could in some way relate to his career. I don't think 8- is appropriate for a career related skill as you or I may think it's non stressful but how much do we really know about 18 work days and 30+ takes for one scene and stress. About the only skill I wonder as to it's origin is Concealment. Is this an indication that the hero typically hides props or other objects on his person for later retrieval (via SoH) during the performance?

All in all it looks good. I would alter the name though if these things are squidlike as it causes some confusion.

i think its pretty good...

Nicly done i'd say. I think that the character is built as "not to get hit guy" and with 4 H-t-H levels and 4 w/DCV i think he could be running around with a 14DCV if he wants... that dont suck.

The only problem i see with him is most "built not to get hit" guys tend to have a higher speed, so they can attact on phases when the other guys cant and not risk not putting their levels into DCV. Also though i know you are going for the Normal with the Doc Oc Arms, so a higher speed might mess that up for you. I guess i was thinking more from a combat effectiveness, and what would be fun to run in a game.

Other than that nice job... IMHO.

Re: Re: i think its pretty good...

Originally posted by Morningstar70

Then we can ditch the Ink Sprayer for +2 SPD, OIF, to represent the extra limbs. That would be the only change to really make things better for him.

This is what I was was going to say. I think more Spd to represent the extra limbs is the way to make this character complete.

Re: Re: i think its pretty good...

Then we can ditch the Ink Sprayer for +2 SPD, OIF, to represent the extra limbs. That would be the only change to really make things better for him. [/b]

That is a great idea... that would shape this guy up into a real wrecking machine i would think!

6SPD, up to 14 on OCV or DCV... very nice heh heh.:cool:

Thanks for the suggestions!

I appreciate the suggestions and the kudos. You're right, I did envision him as a normal with Doc Ock's tentacles. On the other hand, isn't that what Doc is? A chubby middle-aged guy who wouldn't have an CV greater than 4 without his hardware. Somehow, though, he manages to avoid Spidey's punches most of the time, and I've never seen him get hit with a ranged attack other than Spider-Man's webbing.

The skills derive from the fact that Eddie Perretti is a Broadway hoofer, a song and dance man who probably spent time doing variety acts (hence Sleight of Hand and Concealment). That also explains his nome de guerre. In addition to being a spidery critter, "Daddy Longlegs" is the name of a Fred Astaire movie (Astaire being noted for his extended bony frame). I can envision Perretti attempting to do a MGM dance routine on those 36-foot tentacles. THAT'S why need needs Acrobatics! ;)

Ditching the Ink Sprayer for built-in SPD boosters might be a good idea. I merely figured the sprayer would be something a guy named "Cuttlefish" would be likely to have. Plus, in a low-DEX setting Spider-Man himself might have a SPD of only 5 or 6.

Thanks again, and please don't hesitate to post any additional thoughts.

Revised version

Here's Daddy Longlegs revised per your suggestions. I've ditched the Ink Spayer for +2 SPD, made the Ambidexterity apply to the tentacles rather than Perretti's personal limbs, and used the extra points to boost his performance skills. Guy's gotta make a living, ya know.

Name: Daddy Longlegs

Val Char Cost

15* STR 5

17 DEX 21

15 CON 10

13 BODY 6

25 INT 15

18 EGO 16

25 PRE 15

18 COM 4

6 PD 3

6 ED 3

4* SPD 13

8 REC 4

30 END

29 STUN

*STR 55, SPD 6 with Tentacles

Characteristic Rolls: STR: 12-/20-, DEX: 12-, CON: 12-, INT: 14-, EGO: 13-, PER: 14-

Run: 6"/21", Swim: 2", Jump: 3"/11", Lift: 200 kg/50 tons

Cost Powers END/Roll

10 EC: "Steel Tentacles"

20 "Tentacles," Four Extra Limbs plus 40 STR (+1/2) 0 END, (-1/2) Only With Extra Limbs, (-1/2) OIF

13 "Mechanical Reflexes," Missile Deflection, All Attacks, +6 to Roll, (-1/2) OIF

16 "Telescoping Limbs," Stretching 6", (+1/2) 0 END, (-1/4) Metal Tentacles Only, (-1/2) OIF

10 "Long Stride," Running 15" (Total 21"), (-1/2) OIF, 4 END

16 "Tentacles Harness," Armor 8PD/8ED, (-1/2) OIF

13 "Gosh! Those Things Seem to Have a Mind of Their Own!" +2 SPD, (-1/2) OIF

"Onboard Tactical Computer"

13 +4 Levels with Hand-to-Hand Combat, (-1/2) OIF

13 +4 DCV (-1/2) OIF

7 Defense Manuever IV, (-1/2) OIF

6 Talent: Ambidexterity, No Off-Hand Penalty with Tentacles, (-1/2) OIF

7 "Gripping Claws," Clinging, (-1/2) OIF

10 "Hard-Headed," Mental Defense 14

Cost Skills, Talents, Perks Roll

3 Acrobatics 12-

3 Acting 14-

3 Breakfall 12-

3 Climbing 12-

3 Combat Driving: Common Ground Vehicles 12-

3 Concealment 14-

3 Contortionist 12-

3 Conversation 14-

5 Cramming

3 Disguise 14-

3 High Society 14-

3 Oratory 14-

3 Mimicry 14-

3 Persuasion 14-

3 PS: Actor (PRE-based) 14-

4 PS: Dancer 13-

4 PS: Singer 13-

5 Rapid Attack Hand-to-Hand

3 Seduction 14-

3 Sleight of Hand 12-

3 Stealth 12-

4 Talent: Double-Jointed

5 Talent: Eidetic Memory

3 Talent: Perfect Pitch

100+ Disadvantages

20 Normal Characteristics Maximums

5 Age 40+

15 DNPC 11-: Larry, manager, Normal, Useful Skills, Unaware of Hero's Secret ID

20 Hunted 11-: Cuttlefish, More Powerful

20 Hunted 11-: The Police, More Powerful

15 Psychological Limitation: Swashbuckler, Common, Strong

15 Psychological Limitation: Glory Hound, Common, Strong

15 Social Limitation, Secret ID: Eddie Perretti, has-been movie crooner

15 Extreme Reputation 11-: Vicious Supercriminal (People Think He's Cuttlefish)

10 Professional Rivalry with Flynn Hudsawyer, Rival More Powerful, Is Unaware of Rivalry

OCV: 6 (10 with HTH Combat); DCV: 6 (10 with Tentacles); ECV: 6; Mental Def.: 14; Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12 (2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 with Tentacles)

PD/rPD: 6/8 ; ED/rED: 6/8

Costs: Char.: 115 Disad.: 150

Powers: + 235 Base: + 200

Exp.: +

Total: = 350 Total: = 350