How do I build?

Truthsayer

OK, I'm not sure how to build this. A sword that is normal 2d6 ka, but when used against demons or evil mystics, it flares with magic power and gains advantages, such as ap or + stun multipliers. Would I buy the hka as 30 pts, and then the advantages with a limitation on the cost of the advantages? 2x Ap 30pt limitation only vs demonic or evil mystics -1 real cost 20pts?

Re: How do I build?

I think something like this

Start with the basic attack: 2d6 HKA, 30 Active points, OAF (-1) sword, 15 real cost

Then do the adder: Armor Peircing on 2d6 HKA, 15 Active points, OAF (-1) sword, only vs. demons and evil mystics (-1), 5 real cost

Then, I think it's ok to link the naked advantage to the main power, so Armor Peircing on 2d6 HKA, 15 Active points, OAF (-1) sword, only vs. demons and evil mystics (-1), linked to 2d6 HKA (-1/2), 4 real cost

Watch it when you link powers. I think you have to link the lesser Active Point cost to the greater one, NOT the real cost, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Start with the basic attack: 2d6 HKA, 30 Active points, OAF (-1) sword, 15 real cost

Then do the adder: Armor Peircing on 2d6 HKA, 15 Active points, OAF (-1) sword, only vs. demons and evil mystics (-1), 5 real cost

Then, I think it's ok to link the naked advantage to the main power, so Armor Peircing on 2d6 HKA, 15 Active points, OAF (-1) sword, only vs. demons and evil mystics (-1), linked to 2d6 HKA (-1/2), 4 real cost.

That sounds right but it wouldn't be 15 active points it would be 45 since a Killing attack of 2d6 would have 30 active to start and a plus one quarter advantage would boost it up t o 45. and the limitation on the naked advantage would be: -1 OAF(sword), -1/2 to -1(depending how common), -1/4 linked. Costing 16 to 14 pts depending on how common they are.

ohh almost missed it. If it is a Hand Killing Attack the extra dice from you str wouldn't get the AP only the base. Reason being you only buy the naked advantage on UP TO 2d6 and your str would boost that BEYOND 30active points. Just relized after I posted.

No. Not quite.

Since a Naked Advantage is it's own Power the Limitation is based on the Active Points of the Naked Advantage Power - 15 in this case, making for a 7 Real Point Naked Advantage Power;

Sword: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6

Sworn Enemy Of Evil: Naked Modifier: Armor Piercing (+1/2) for up to 30 Active Points (15 Active Points); Only Versus Demons & Evil Mystics (-1)

STR Adds normally to the Sword alone (15 STR adds 1D6). STR adds per the normal rules for Advantaged Powers when the Naked Modifier is active (23 STR adds 1D6).

Just FYI, I'm showing the power builds seperately, but of course you have to total them up. The sword I built (ignoring tweaks by GA and others later) is 19 points real cost. That's 15 points from the 2d6 HKA, plus 4 points from the linked naked advantage.

ohh almost missed it. If it is a Hand Killing Attack the extra dice from you str wouldn't get the AP only the base. Reason being you only buy the naked advantage on UP TO 2d6 and your str would boost that BEYOND 30active points. Just relized after I posted.

Good point, I did forget about that. The GM would have to figure out what to do with the extra damage from STR. Or the player should buy more Armor Peircing, and apply it to the STR damage.

Good point' date=' I did forget about that. The GM would have to figure out what to do with the extra damage from STR. Or the player should buy more Armor Peircing, and apply it to the STR damage.[/quote']

That part is easily figured out beforehand .. After STR Min Requirements (if any) you need a full 15 pts of STR to add 1D6 of Killing Damage with just the sword; and 23 pts of STR to add 1D6 of Killing Damage when the Armor Piercing is applied. Given a characters STR if would be very easy to determine beforehand how much actual Damage you do in either condition.

Thruthsayer, I see you are new to the boards, and I presume new to the system. Welcome.

All that was pointed out above is excellent advice, it occured to me that a new player may not know what a Naked Advantage is - its in the new (revised ) book on page 244, right at the begining of the advantages section, but I'll describe briefly.

A Naked Advantage is a power Advantage (like AP or Autofire) that is bought as a separate power, usually because it has additional limitations or advantages from the power(s) it applies to. An example pertinent to your plight would be what Gojira said, buy the sword, then the advantage, as thus:

Mystical Katana: 2d6 HKA, Reduced END (Zero END, +1/2) (45 Active Points) OAF (-1), Hand & a Half Weapon (-1/4), STR MIN 15 (-3/4) - Real Cost: 7 Points

To figure out the base cost of the Naked Advantage, apply it to the base cost of the power - not the active cost. So we apply a +1/2 to 30 base points, which adds 15 points to it.

Demon-Slayer: Naked Advantage: AP (+1/2), on Mystical Katana (15 Active Points) OAF (-1), Hand & a Half Weapon (-1/4), STR MIN 15 (-3/4), Only vs. Demons and Evil Spellcasters (-1) - Real Cost - 4

So the total cost of the weapon is 11 points.

PS - I built it differently so I could demonstrate the interaction with Base cost, as opposed to Active cost, and I built it as a heroic-level weapon, because I felt like it.

The GM would have to figure out what to do with the extra damage from STR. Or the player should buy more Armor Peircing' date=' and apply it to the STR damage.[/quote']

Wouldn't it be possible to buy the Naked Advantage for up to a higher AP than the unmodified (by STR) Killing Attack would have?

That's what one does in preparation for Aids, isn't it?

why are we using naked advantages? just create a multipower with certain slots having the limitation "Only Versus Demons & Evil Mystics (-1)" this way seems easiest and the most logical to me...

There's a "switching time" between Multipower slots. Having to spend a round "attuning" the blade to one or another doesn't fit the concept of a sword which affects such beings more severely all the time.

I'd buy it as a, "Naked Advantage," that only applies to the one attack. There are special rules for this. Basically it shouldn't IMO be called a Naked Advantage, just like:

EB: 10d6

EB: +3d6; Only When...

isn't a Naked Adder. It is just a Partially Limited Power. In that case the rules about Range, Duration, etc., don't really function like a normal Naked Advantage, but you can't apply Linked either, because really it is all part of the same power.

There's a "switching time" between Multipower slots. Having to spend a round "attuning" the blade to one or another doesn't fit the concept of a sword which affects such beings more severely all the time.

It's a 0-Phase action to switch slots of a Multipower, unless you have a Limitation that says otherwise.

Right, but the user still has to switch. The idea here is that the power happens "on it's own," or that's what I thought, anyway. With a Nekkid Advantage and a lim, it kicks in automatically. The user doesn't need to even know the power exists, it'll happen on it's own.

Right' date=' but the user still has to switch. The idea here is that the power happens "on it's own," or that's what I thought, anyway. With a Nekkid Advantage and a lim, it kicks in automatically. The user doesn't need to even know the power exists, it'll happen on it's own.[/quote']

Oh I agree completely. I was simply pointing out that switching slots in a Multipower did not require time, just effort.

I agree that a Naked Advantage is the best route in this case.

It's a 0-Phase action to switch slots of a Multipower' date=' unless you have a Limitation that says otherwise.[/quote']

That would be a change from 4th Edition, then.

A character can change the way his Multipower points are distributed at the beginning of his action Phase, but between Phases he can only change his points by aborting his next action Phase entirely (see Action Phases).

Here's another reason not to use Multipower for the bonus effect: what if the character is doing a (converted) "Great Cleave", by Sweeping the adjacent hexes? They can hit more than one opponent, but not all of those hit will be demons/evil.