INT Sword, Follower or Focus

Spiral

I am trying to build a character that has an intelligent sword for a weapon. While I would normally do this as a focus this sword can grant the wielder certain defenses such as 5 pd/ed, 5 mental defense, aid only to starting level, 25% mental damage reduction (the sword wants to be the only one that can control the wielder), mind control vs. wielder only, and a few other minor defenses. It also has a variable advantage on its attack. Like I said earlier it CAN grant the wielder these abilities but it can also hold them from the wielder at times. (Was going to discuss those conditions with the GM)

What I was wonder is would you build this as a follower or as a focus.

Re: INT Sword, Follower or Focus

The Sword

Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes

23 INT 10 13 23 14- PER Roll 14-

24 EGO 10 28 24 14- ECV: 8

24 DEX 10 42 24 14- OCV 8 DCV 8

5 SPD 3.4 16 5 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

Cost Powers END

10 Gifts of the sword: Elemental Control, 20-point powers

12 1) I make it harder to hurt you.: Succor PD 2d6 (standard effect: 6 points), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Invisible Power Effects, Hide effects of Power, Source Only (Fully Invisible; +1) (22 Active Points) 2

12 4) I make it harder to hurt you.: Succor ED 2d6 (standard effect: 6 points), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Invisible Power Effects, Hide effects of Power, Source Only (Fully Invisible; +1) (22 Active Points) 2

12 6) I make it harder to hurt you.: Succor Mental Def 2d6 (standard effect: 6 points), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Invisible Power Effects, Hide effects of Power, Source Only (Fully Invisible; +1) (22 Active Points) 2

9 8) I make it Harder to hurt you: (Total: 21 Active Cost, 18 Real Cost) Custom Power, Usable By Other (+1/4) (7 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) (Real Cost: 6) plus Custom Power, Usable By Other (+1/4) (7 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) (Real Cost: 6) plus Custom Power, Usable By Other (+1/4) (7 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) (Real Cost: 6) 3

Gifts of Sight and Sound

8 1) I have to see don't I?: Discriminatory with Sight Group (10 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) 1

8 2) I have to see don't I?: Analyze with Sight Group (10 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) 1

6 4) I have to see in the dark don't I?: Nightvision, Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2) (7 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) 1

14 6) Your going to listen to me!: Hearing Group Images Increased Size (4" radius; +1/2), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Invisible Power Effects, Hide effects of Power, Source Only (Fully Invisible; +1) (14 Active Points) 1

45 A Sword is a Sword -- right: Multipower, 30-point reserve, all slots Usable By Other (+1/4), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (45 Active Points)

3u 1) The edge of the blade: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (30 Active Points) 3

2u 2) the flat of the Blade: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6 (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 3

50 Who is in charge here? Me that's who.: Mind Control 4d6 (Human class of minds), Telepathic (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Cumulative (96 points; +1), Invisible Power Effects, Hide effects of Power (Fully Invisible; +1) (75 Active Points); only one command: Do what I tell you to. (-1/2) 0

42 Magical Energy Resurve: Endurance Reserve (175 END, 25 REC) (42 Active Points) 0

17 Defensive Block: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, Block, Abort, Usable By Other (+1/4), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (17 Active Points)

15 Defensive Strike: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, Strike, Usable By Other (+1/4), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (15 Active Points)

6 Weapon Bind: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Bind, 10 STR, Usable By Other (+1/4), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (6 Active Points)

Talents

10 Follow-Through Attack, Usable By Other (+1/4) (12 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

16 Crippling Blow, Usable By Other (+1/4) (20 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

Skills

5 Rapid Attack (HTH) , Usable By Other (+1/4) (6 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

3 Riding 14-, Usable By Other (+1/4) (4 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

3 Sleight Of Hand 14-, Usable By Other (+1/4) (4 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

3 Tactics 14-, Usable By Other (+1/4) (4 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

10 Two-Weapon Fighting (HTH) , Usable By Other (+1/4) (12 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

2 WF: Blades, Off Hand , Usable By Other (+1/4); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Usable By Other (+1/4); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

Total Powers & Skills Cost: 323

Total Cost: 422

250+ Disadvantages

5 Distinctive Features: Magic INT Sword (Easily Concealed; Extreme Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)

25 Physical Limitation: must have a weilder to do anything (All the Time, Fully Impairing)

15 Psychological Limitation: Remembers what it was before a sword - moody (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: can treat weilder as pet or friend - depends on mood (Common, Strong)

20 Hunted: former owners 11- (Mo Pow, Capture)

Total Disadvantages Points: 80

Looks like JmOZ and I agree.

I'd go with an AI computer, with the focus lim.

Of course that's really not much different than what's posted, but I think that if it's a follower it should have all the stats, plus running, leaping, etc at the base levels...

Call me crazy, but why not BOTH. Put focus on the stuff that is always there(the basic HKA for example) then build the granted powers as a Follower. Or maybe even a Contact, depending on the relationship. Sure, you have to buy everything UBO, but you could also buy them with a limit "only for person holding the sword". I'd call it -1/4 or -1/2, depending on the setting(it's easier to carry around a sword all the time in a fantasy setting) and on how easy the sword can be taken away/used by others.

On the other hand, you have another option which is to take a Bound disad(similar to a priest who must pray for his spells). If you tick off the sword, the powers don't work.

I am trying to build a character that has an intelligent sword for a weapon. While I would normally do this as a focus this sword can grant the wielder certain defenses such as 5 pd/ed' date=' 5 mental defense, aid only to starting level, 25% mental damage reduction (the sword wants to be the only one that can control the wielder), mind control vs. wielder only, and a few other minor defenses. It also has a variable advantage on its attack. Like I said earlier it CAN grant the wielder these abilities but it can also hold them from the wielder at times. (Was going to discuss those conditions with the GM)[/size']

What I was wonder is would you build this as a follower or as a focus.

To clarify, the sword is an intelligent being, that in addition to being wielded as a sword can grant its wielder certain benifits at its own descretion regardless of the wielder's wishes?

One route is to build it as a Follower, but if you do you might as well build everything as Powers. Followers are by defintion loyal. The sword really wouldn't have a reason to withold its gifts to its master if it is loyal.

Of course, if the sword is not loyal, then Follower would be innapropriate. You might build all of the abilities as Powers for the Character, with Focus and an Activation Roll or similar Limitation to represent the Powers may be shut down by some force outside the character's control. Alternately or in addition, the Character could take a Disadvantage such as Hunted (watched) by the sword as it decides how to manipulate the character by deciding when to grant (or not to grant) its gifts.

BTW, if there is a contest of wills that goes on between the weapon and the character or whatever, you could probably do that as some powers in the Computer, and/or some Side Effects on the powers granted through the Focus that they give the character some kind of Susceptibility/Vulnerability to the AI's powers/Pre Attack (or a Psychological Limitation that makes the character likely to do as the AI wishes).

Depending on the tone of your campaign, I think it would be hilarious to build the sword as a Focus, and then put Extra Time/Incantations - Only to Activate, on some of the powers.

Which means that the character would have to either talk the sword into granting the powers, or say some stupid phrase the sword liked to hear to get the powers.

"To the sword, my soul I bind, to forestall harm upon my mind."

If you could figure out the math, you could even put an Activation Roll on the Incantations, meaning that sometimes, even if you said the right phrase, the sword wouldn't do what you wanted it to.

You could also go with an Activation and Side Effect, so that, if the sword was in a bad mood, or you weren't treating it right, it could actually dish out a little STUN (or some other rude effect).

KA.

Thanks to all, you have given me some good ideals to build from, I especially like the side effect because that is exactly what I had in mind for the sword it does get in a bad mood if it is not treated right. I will try to post the finished character when I get it done for you all to go over.

Ah... I'm going to chime in here, since I've had to deal with my share of intelligent (and at times, unintelligently designed) weapons. I think that Mike W was closest when (you're crazy, there, I said it) he said make it both - I'm saying, make it neither. IOW, you're building a full character, you (the PC) are paying the points to have a "follower" but it picks up ful disads like "not wholly loyal" and "personal agenda." You're making a separate party member who's attached to the wielder.

If you build it as a PC, you can't build it as Independent (because really, that's what the 1:5 discount is for) nor would you need to build it as UBO - anymore than you'd build a vehicle as UBO. Common sense tells us that anyone can pop over, get in the driver's side of YOUR paid for vehicle, and drive off with it. Anyone else can pick up the sword - unless it's bought as an OIF.

Building it as a follower/character guarantees the points stay with you one way or another, even if Rule 0 eventually takes the weapon away or fundamentally alters it. Some thoughts.