Old Shotgun Question

Black Omega

Re: Old Shotgun Question

For all you gun experts.

Antique Shotgun

Is this a percussion cap shotgun? It looks a little like it to me but I've not found a date for it yet so I'm not sure.

Thanks.

not familiar with that particular gun, but I agree, it sure does look like a caplock. The fact that its a sidehammer kinda supports that too... I haven't heard of any sidehammer cartridge guns.

For all you gun experts.

Antique Shotgun

Is this a percussion cap shotgun? It looks a little like it to me but I've not found a date for it yet so I'm not sure.

Thanks.

Look at the gizmo right in front of the hammer. Its a single piece, if it were the firing pin thered be a line between two pieces. Theres also shiny area where caps were forced onto it. Its definately a p. cap. :D

Side-hammer metallic-cartridge shotguns were actually fairly common in the old west. Thanks to cowboy action shooting' date=' replicas of such guns are becoming commonly available these days.[/quote']

Hard to argue with two shots of 12 ga, with almost no jamming capability.

Side-hammer metallic-cartridge shotguns were actually fairly common in the old west. Thanks to cowboy action shooting' date=' replicas of such guns are becoming commonly available these days.[/quote']

Hunnh?

Live and learn :D

I'll have to look into this a bit more... I've done a bit of amatuer gunsmithing for various muzzleoaders, but I can't wrapo my head around an internal configuration for a sidehammer cartridge gun.

Not saying you're wrong, by any means... I just see this as a new oportunity to geek out on a subject I hadn't really bothered with.

I haven't gotten into cowboy action shooting yet, but it's probably just a matter of time... My family is well known at the range for our selection of SA revolvers.

Hard to argue with two shots of 12 ga' date=' with almost no jamming capability.[/quote']

I'd give a decent sized hunk of anatomy for a lever action 12 gauge like the one used in T2.

what was it again? I want to say a Winchester Model 1898?

(oh, yeah...multiquote is back...gotta remember that)

I'd give a decent sized hunk of anatomy for a lever action 12 gauge like the one used in T2.

what was it again? I want to say a Winchester Model 1898?

(oh, yeah...multiquote is back...gotta remember that)

It was a modded Winchester, not sure of the Model. The original's an early pump action, but they wanted the cool lever-action style, so their on-site gun captain switched the feed with a Winchester .45 rifle. They used Squibs instead of blanks whenever Arnie fired.

Hunnh?

Live and learn :D

I'll have to look into this a bit more... I've done a bit of amatuer gunsmithing for various muzzleoaders, but I can't wrapo my head around an internal configuration for a sidehammer cartridge gun.

Not saying you're wrong, by any means... I just see this as a new oportunity to geek out on a subject I hadn't really bothered with.

I haven't gotten into cowboy action shooting yet, but it's probably just a matter of time... My family is well known at the range for our selection of SA revolvers.

Are those SAAs? :D I have never owned one, heck, my wife has the only revolver in the household. I would like an SA .45 Colt, probably a replica SAA. Though the Rugers will withstand hotter handloads, I don't think I really want to load it above .44 magnum level! I have seen some interesting loads with 250-300 grain bullets at 900-1000 fps that are supposedly within the safe pressure range.

Back to SAAs, My dad had one come in for appraisal. It was in poor condition, had a rough, gray finish on the whole exterior. We were able to locate it in the books, though. It was one of only 50 or 100 made in that caliber, (.32 colt, iirc) and was STILL worth about $3k!!!

SOmeone I converse with on Tanknet once saw an SAA that would have been worth even more! It was chambered in the .577 British "Manstopper" round, probably a 5 round cylinder, I can't remember.

Probably a ONE off, Custom Gun. In an INTERESTING caliber, too.:eg:

It was a modded Winchester' date=' not sure of the Model. The original's an early pump action, but they wanted the cool lever-action style, so their on-site gun captain switched the feed with a Winchester .45 rifle. They used Squibs instead of blanks whenever Arnie fired.[/quote']

The model I was thinking of is the Model 1887. The Model 1901 is probably what they were going for (modern instead of black powder. You're story doesn't suprise me at all...originals are pretty rare, and thus rather expensive for use as a prop.

Posting a good pic of the 1887.

Are those SAAs? :D I have never owned one, heck, my wife has the only revolver in the household. I would like an SA .45 Colt, probably a replica SAA. Though the Rugers will withstand hotter handloads, I don't think I really want to load it above .44 magnum level! I have seen some interesting loads with 250-300 grain bullets at 900-1000 fps that are supposedly within the safe pressure range.

Back to SAAs, My dad had one come in for appraisal. It was in poor condition, had a rough, gray finish on the whole exterior. We were able to locate it in the books, though. It was one of only 50 or 100 made in that caliber, (.32 colt, iirc) and was STILL worth about $3k!!!

SOmeone I converse with on Tanknet once saw an SAA that would have been worth even more! It was chambered in the .577 British "Manstopper" round, probably a 5 round cylinder, I can't remember.

Probably a ONE off, Custom Gun. In an INTERESTING caliber, too.:eg:

About half of the guns we haul out to the range are single action revolvers: A Colt Army 1860 (my favorite), a SAA in .45 Colt, and a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 magnum.

The rest of our sixguns are all DA. the magnaported Redhawk is the one we usually run hotloads in... it takes them well.

mmmm... lever action shotgun... yummy.... there are new ones available, actually, but I forget who makes 'em. It was kind of an obscurish company. (for 12 guage, there's a .410 out in production by winchester or someone major, I believe... but I have no use for a .410... )

Yeah, from the pictures, looks like the original shotgunmentioned is a percussion shotgun... but darn if I've ever seen one operate. Doesn't look to break open in any sense, and those big ol' nubs on the backs of the barrels sure look similar to the percussion... uh... mounts? cylinders?... I've seen on some others. There's no swing point on the thing to open it up... so I suppose it must be. Not personally all that into the antique scene myself... though owning a single action revolver would be nice, as well as that lever action shotgun. They are pricey though...

mmmm... lever action shotgun... yummy.... there are new ones available, actually, but I forget who makes 'em. It was kind of an obscurish company. (for 12 guage, there's a .410 out in production by winchester or someone major, I believe... but I have no use for a .410... )

Yeah, from the pictures, looks like the original shotgunmentioned is a percussion shotgun... but darn if I've ever seen one operate. Doesn't look to break open in any sense, and those big ol' nubs on the backs of the barrels sure look similar to the percussion... uh... mounts? cylinders?... I've seen on some others. There's no swing point on the thing to open it up... so I suppose it must be. Not personally all that into the antique scene myself... though owning a single action revolver would be nice, as well as that lever action shotgun. They are pricey though...

The word you're looking for is "nipple".

And now that the autocensors are gone, I can type that without it going ****** on me :thumbup:

Context, context, context