CHA: Kai Sun - Fist of Heaven

OzMike

Hey there all,

Thought it about time I contributed something creative so I present for your perusal the latest character that I am going to play. Not built on standard base (250 not 200) but still 350 pts in all.

I can post a detailed character creation origin (how I actually created the character etc) if people want. Oh, and he was created using HD 2.42.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kai Sun

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20 STR 10 13- Lift 400.0kg; 4d6 [2]

29 DEX 57 15- OCV: 10/DCV: 10

20 CON 20 13-

15 BODY 10 12-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

20 EGO 20 13- ECV: 7

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

10 COM 0 11-

15 PD 11 Total: 15 PD (8 rPD)

15 ED 11 Total: 15 ED (8 rED)

5 SPD 11 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

8 REC 0

40 END 0

35 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 168

Movement: Running: 11"/22"

Flight: 5"/10"

Leaping: 14"/28"

Swimming: 12"/24"

Cost Powers END

10 True Sight: Detect True Form and Invisible 13- (Sight Group), Discriminatory

6 Mental Fortitude: Mental Defense (10 points total)

10 Spiritual Fortitude: Power Defense (10 points)

5 Wuxia Defense - Iron Ox Technique: Damage Resistance (8 PD/8 ED) (8 Active Points); Nonpersistent (-1/4), Must be aware of attack (-1/4)

10 Wuxia Movement: Multipower, 10-point reserve

1u 1) Walk to the sky: Flight 5" (10 Active Points) 1

1u 2) Leap to the horizon: Leaping +10" (14" forward, 7" upward) (10 Active Points) 1

1u 3) Run like the wind: Running +5" (11" total) (10 Active Points) 1

1u 4) Swim to the depths: Swimming +10" (12" total) (10 Active Points) 1

15 Wuxia Skills: Multipower, 30-point reserve, (30 Active Points); all slots Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2)

1u 1) Double Palm Strike: HA +4d6, Does x1 1/2 Knockback (+1/2) (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) 3

1u 2) Dragon Fist: HA +4d6, Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) 3

1u 3) Heaven's Fist : HA +4d6, Variable Special Effects (Any SFX; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) 3

1u 4) Ghost Palm: HA +4d6, Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2) (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) 3

1u 5) Power Strike: HA +6d6 (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) 3

1u 6) Righteous Fury: HA +3d6, Area Of Effect (2" Radius; +1), Selective (+1/4), Two-Dimensional (-1/4) (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) 3

1u 7) Spear Strike: HA +4d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2) (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) 3

1u 8) Ten Thousand Strikes: HA +4d6, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) 3

1u 9) Wind Fist: HA +4d6, Indirect (Any origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) 3

1u 10) Chi Control I: Drain 2d6, any physical characteristic or power one at a time (+1/4), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1/4) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2) 3

1u 11) Chi Control II: Aid 2d6, any physical characteristic or power one at a time (+1/4), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1/4) (30 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/2), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) 3

Martial Arts - Wu Shu

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 Martial Block +2 +2 Block, Abort

4 Martial Dodge -- +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 Martial Strike +0 +2 6d6 Strike

3 Martial Throw +0 +1 4d6 +v/5, Target Falls

5 Offensive Strike -2 +1 8d6 Strike

Talents

24 Master Of Chi: Danger Sense (self only, out of combat, Function as a Sense) 15-

13 Gift of Tongues: Universal Translator 13- (20 Active Points); Only for spoken languages (-1/2)

Skills

3 AK: The Shattered Realm 13-

3 Acrobatics 15-

3 Breakfall 15-

3 Concealment 13-

3 Criminology 13-

3 Deduction 13-

3 Forensic Medicine 13-

5 KS: Martial Arts 15-

3 KS: Mystical creatures 13-

2 KS: The Martial World 11-

2 Language: Russian (fluent conversation)

2 PS: Justice Knight 11-

3 Shadowing 13-

3 Stealth 15-

3 Streetwise 13-

10 Defense Maneuver I-IV

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 182

Total Cost: 350

250+ Disadvantages

5 Distinctive Features: Strong Chi (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)

10 Hunted: Floating: 'Gunslinger Mentality' Martial Artists - "Let us see if your skills match mine" 11- (As Pow, Mildly Punish)

20 Hunted: Cult of the Red Banner 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Capture)

20 Hunted: Floating: Mystical Asian Creatures 11- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code of the xia (Very Common, Strong)

Notes: "He will surely honor his words; he will definitely carry out his actions. Whatever he promises he will fulfill. He does not care his bodily self, putting his life and death aside to come forward for another's troubled besiegement. He does not boast about his ability, nor shamelessly extol his own virtues."1) He will keep his word2) He will help others in need3) He will be humble

15 Psychological Limitation: Loyal to Friends and Companions (Common, Strong)

10 Social Limitation: Unfamiliar with Earth (Frequently, Minor)

Total Disadvantage Points: 100

Background/History: Kai Sun looked down at the mutilated body of the small child, then back up at the tear-stained faces of the greiving parents. He recognised the wounds immediately, and grimaced inwardly. It was the work of demons - yaoguai. Nasty work too, and judging by the condition of the body more than one. It was going to be difficult to bring an end to this, but then again it always was.

"Will you help us, Justice Knight?"

Kai looked around the village. It was like all the others he had travelled through as he wandered the Realm. These were good people, but not strong enough or skilled enough to end this.. He was, and they needed his help.

"Of course."

----------------

Kai Sun is a xia, a self-appointed Justice Knight of the Shattered Realm. He protects the weak and innocent from malevolent mystical forces that seek to prey on them, as well as evil of the more home-grown and human kind. He wanders from place to place, helping as needed, and always seeks to improve himself so that he may better serve the common good. He has earned the name Fist of Heaven (or Heaven's Fist) due to his mastery of the technique, and his dedication in protecting the weak and innocent from yaoguai, oni, and other evils.

As to why and how he is on our world.... well, that's another story.

Personality/Motivation: Kai is generally serious due to the nature of his chosen role in society, but has a dry sense of humour that he reveals to trusted companions. While he dislikes fighting, he enjoys training and sparring. He is fully aware of the danger when he throws himself into it to protect others, and so often appears reckless.

Kai Sun's primary motivation is his adherence to the xia philosphy, which can be described thus:

He will surely honor his words; he will definitely carry out his actions. Whatever he promises he will fulfill. He does not care his bodily self, putting his life and death aside to come forward for another's troubled besiegement. He does not boast about his ability, nor shamelessly extol his own virtues.

Also, although his life has been fairly solitary thus far Kai is not anti-social and is incredibly loyal to those he trusts.

Quote: "I will fight you, but only if I must."

"Something's not right here..."

Powers/Tactics: Kai's powers and abilities stem from three primary sources: intensive training; mastery of internal chi; and gifts he has had from birth. Firstly, he is highly skilled in Wu Shu and Kung Fu styled martial arts. He is also trained in fighting numerous opponents. Secondly, his mastery of chi allows him to perform some of the more mystical wuxia skills and grants mental and spiritual fortitude, as well as honing his internal senses to such a degree that he can sense evil. Finally, Kai was blessed with two gifts from birth. The first is the gift of tongues, allowing him to understand and use almost any spoken language. The second is True Sight, allowing him to see through the disguises of those who seek to hide their true forms and the invisible.

Apart from this Kai is a talented detective and criminologist.

Campaign Use: Kai is a support fighter who, while lacking power, has a flexibility that few can match. Out of combat his detective skills, True Sight, gift of tongues, and his ability to sense danger make him incredibly useful.

As an NPC, Kai can be used as an ally against mystical or martial menaces.

Appearance: Kai is a tall and lithe, with piercing blue eyes and prematurely grey hair. He has Eurasian features, a dragon tattoo on his chest and back, and the tattoo of a Justice Knight on each arm. He moves with incredible agility, and is able to strike with blinding speed.

When using his Heaven's Fist attack, Kai's hands are surrounded by the relevant energy effect (e.g. fire, electricity), or temporarily transform into the relevant physical effect (e.g. metal, wood).

Re: CHA: Kai Sun - Fist of Heaven

Thanks folks. I normally play bricks so he was a bit of a change for me.

If you wanted to up his power level a bit I'd give him a point of SPD, some physical and energy damage reduction (martial artsy based), a couple of levels of combat luck, some CSL, maybe a couple of MA damage classes, +20 PRE (defensive only), and maybe up his mulitpower to 6D6 for most of the attacks (for a total of 10D6, with the Power Strike upped to +9D6). That should make it a 45 pt Multipower (22 real) and each slot would cost 2 pts. You could also give him combat sense or spatial awareness.

But he's fine at this level too.

To depower I'd drop his DEX some, maybe even his speed, and get rid of a bunch of multipower slots but keep the Ghost Palm and Heaven's Fist attacks (which are basically his for schtick - fighting mystical asian menaces).

Basically he is a wandering cop/detective from a techno/fantasy Anime dimension.

I may give him to the wife (& GM) to have him show up with Blackcat.

Feel free. Makes my cockles all warm and suggly to think other people may want to use him.

Nice..."multi-fu" is one of my favs...the only shortcomming I can see is that his Fu's are all full phase...that could be a real downer from a tactical point of view.....Thanx for sharing...

Was a purposeful decision - after all would only have cost 5 pts more to remove that from the multipower. I figured that they are like 'special' moves that require precision footwork to be pulled off.

Also means he doesn't use them as often, which is a bonus because that would be about 20 END a turn. Plus they are more surprising too :)

• 2 weeks later...

Im curious how much damage you expect these low cost advantaged HAs to do when combined with str and MA.

By the rules they can do up to 8D6 most times, 6D6 for the righteous fury slot, and lots for the Power Strike slot (14D6 Offensive Strike or Haymaker, 18D6 if GM lets me combine both). For the sake of ease the GM and I have agreed that MA maneuvers don't add to or combine with the advantaged HAs.

The game is a pretty low powered one too, so I was trying to limit myself :) Other variations/build came out doing a LOT more damage.

If the MP is your 'martial arts'' date=' why have it with extra time? Would this make you act last on your phase?[/quote']

Well, the character does have normal MA as well, and uses those often.

The MP is special moves and what not.

As far as going last, the way we play it is that Full Phase means I can do the slot on my phase, but nothing more, and it goes off on my DEX. This is in accordance with the rules under Extra Time - Full phase, 5ER, p291.