Converting stuff

Phil and I are producing a joint-GMed scenario where we will be putting three systems through their paces. The scenario will be trans-dimensional therefore and we have chosen two characters from each of the three systems to be the pre-gens for the players.

We will have one part of the scenario played in Hero Universe using HERO rules but only two of the characters will have Hero Universe backgrounds, two will have M&M backgrounds and two will have SAS backgrounds. Similarly there will be one part of the scenario in M&M and another in SAS.

As such you see Phil working on an Excel conversion sheet while I do things the old fashioned way. I've been working on Slipstream and Mother Raven as SAS characters and converting them to Hero and decided to convert them myself before I looked at the 'official' conversions in Reality Storm - I will also convert Defender and Ironclad to SAS before looking at the 'official' conversions.

My reason for rambling on is that I have a problem with the way that they have converted Mother Raven's Shadow Form. Obviously there is no direct conversion in Hero for the SAS Mass Decrease power - though the Ultimate Metamorph goes some way toward it.

The official conversion uses Desolid which takes her out of any fight unless the opponent can hit her and then she has so little else of defensive worth she'll be quickly incapacitated. It did only cost 38 points or so though.

Instead I have worked with Invisible Power Effects (IPE) Shrinking and Tunnelling. I see the shadow form as making it very difficult to hit Mother Raven but not taking her out of the real world. I gave the shrinking a -0 modifier whereby the 1DCV of the shrinking benefit would be removed by every 1D6 used in spreading the attack. Thus a 12D6 attack could be used at 4D6 with 'only' a +4DCV. Against big villains who can throw 16 and 18 D6 attacks this becomes useful and reflects that the more intense the attack the more likely it is to affect the shadow.

I added the Tunnelling to allow the passage of the shadow through substances as dense as concrete (DEF 6) though she will obviously be able to move through substances where there are holes big enough for the shrinking to fit through.

This cost about 100 points.

I think this is a better representation of the character and powers - was just wondering if anyone would have done it differently from me or the Reality Storm authors.

Doc

Re: Converting stuff

I don't know the characters to say' date=' but I certainly hope you'll keep us up on how the game goes, and it would be interesting to hear of how the "physics" of the systems influences play.[/quote']

It was Phil's idea. He wanted to compare the crunchy systems and the best way was probably to play them all with versions of the same characters in one scenario.

If we can get it properly written up we'll post it to the boards.

Doc

What's the point? Shrinking isn't exactly what I'd call a good defensive power either. As long as you make sure to get "Affects Solid" on her Mental Illusions she'll do fine. Better than fine actually for as long as her Endurance holds out.

+12 DCV isn't a good defnesive power? With invisible power effects there is not even a good clue that the problem is because the person is shrunk - it just looks like the attacks are passing through.

Affects solid is expensive and only allows the illusions to work - I think I'd prefer for my character to have more than one option in combat.

I guess my prejudice against desolid is showing. :)

Doc

Silver Age Sentinels by Guardian of Order who also made Big Eyes Small Mouths.

Interesting system...

Doc

You can download plenty of free samples from Silver Age Sentinels - as well as other GoO books - from this part of their website.

(At least while their website is still there.) :(

Silver Age Sentinels by Guardian of Order who also made Big Eyes Small Mouths.

Ah, danke.

Wasn't BESM originally an R. Talsorian/Michael Pondsmith product? I can't remember now.

I'll do the download thing from them while they are still around, thanks for the link LL. :thumbup:

By the way, we have spoken about running the supers campaign through different dimensions but more as one-shots, with each dimension a different (sometimes radically so) game system - M&M, Dogs in the Vineyard, Capes, you name it. In some cases just for its own sake, I don't care much personally for the Capes style but it would be interesting to see stories unfold with familiar characters but different game physics.

PS - but we haven't done it, which was my original point! Kudos, DD