New Liquid Armor (for real)

Legendsmiths

I saw this mentioned on Bulletproof (Discovery Channel) and then found this video: http://www.break.com/movies/newarmor23.html

There's also this businessweek article: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_32/b3996068.htm

Looks very cool. No performance data yet, but they seem to imply that it will be useful against rifle rounds, implying that this will be about 12-13 DEF. The video only shows a pistol round, but that still puts it at 8-9 DEF.

One interesting comment was the talk about making clothing out of it. I assume the clothing wouldn't be as strong as the torso armor in order to remain flexible, but I can imagine this putting 4-6 DEF on all locations, not to mention perhaps a lighter, tougher helmet.

Guest daeudi_454

Re: New Liquid Armor (for real)

So fraking cool.... I was looking for a way to cut down weight.

Nano-silicates and polyethylene glycol. The PEG is easy... the silicates not :(

I wonder if they will sell it in gallon cans :sneaky:

I saw this mentioned on Bulletproof (Discovery Channel) and then found this video: http://www.break.com/movies/newarmor23.html

There's also this businessweek article: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_32/b3996068.htm

Looks very cool. No performance data yet, but they seem to imply that it will be useful against rifle rounds, implying that this will be about 12-13 DEF. The video only shows a pistol round, but that still puts it at 8-9 DEF.

One interesting comment was the talk about making clothing out of it. I assume the clothing wouldn't be as strong as the torso armor in order to remain flexible, but I can imagine this putting 4-6 DEF on all locations, not to mention perhaps a lighter, tougher helmet.

Awesome link! Repped!

- Vassoom

Pretty cool. My thoughts are "how will it hold up in heat, wet, etc.?" Chemical compounds can degrade or utterly shift composition over time. If this stuff has a decent shelf life (at least 10 years) then cool. Anything less than that and it better be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper, because it will essentially be a "disposable body armor"

Like everything else in this country of trash producers... just wear and throw away!

Still... pretty darn cool. I wonder if the silicates have a special design (bucky balls? Hooked like anti-hystamines? Variable under energy?) that is the serious trick. If it is a chemical reaction (using the energy of the strike) then I would be worried about rapid breakdown of the compound.

Nice! Repped. :thumbup:

Pretty cool. My thoughts are "how will it hold up in heat' date=' wet, etc.?" Chemical compounds can degrade or utterly shift composition over time. If this stuff has a decent shelf life (at least 10 years) then cool. Anything less than that and it better be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper, because it will essentially be a "disposable body armor"[/quote']

Good questions, but even if it has to be re-treated, or even replaced once a year, that's worth quite a lot. When I was on active duty, I rarely had a set of field fatigues last more than a year or two anyway.

One of its properties is supperior diffusion of force, meaning reduced stun to the target. I imagine that whatever DEF it might have, it would also offer 2x that in PD. So, a 10 DEF vest would also offer +20 PD for a total of 10rPD/30 PD.

I don't know whether limiting the PD (not the DEF) to Bullets only would be appropriate (say, -1 lim).

Dusters.

And its significant against knifes and shrapnel. The first sales will actually be to prison systems, since shivs exploit the weakness of kevlar. Another use will be to protect the inevitable joints in the Kevlar/Ceramic sandwich armor. BTW, anyone notice the parrallels in modern armor and post chain mail armor design paths?

Good questions' date=' but even if it has to be re-treated, or even replaced once a year, that's worth quite a lot. When I was on active duty, I rarely had a set of field fatigues last more than a year or two anyway.[/quote']

Oh, if it survives active use for a year? That is sweet. I'm more thinking about piles stacked in warehouses for years that break down due to heat, dampness, whatever. How much fun to get issued protective gear that had all the defense of cheap cardboard because it chemically expired in storage.

I'm sure much smarter people than me have asked these questions... just that I'd like to hear the answers.

Guest daeudi_454

Considering the inate chemical stability of PEG, and that silica is rock....

It would be very stable.

Keep in mind that it would be used inside of layers of Kevlar or Spectra- so that can still degrade.

The best part of this isn't its chemical stability, but the fact that it can protect versus multiple impacts exponentially better.