Ok, this is a Stargate question?

TheRavenIs

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Ok, this is a Stargate question?

Well on this pic, I counted 18 down clockwise and 15 down counter-clockwise (total 33 + a few obscured). The ramp obscures the very bottom. On this pic I count 39. I would say 39 is a fair estimate. As to how many combinations, how many different symbols need to be "hit" in order to open a gate? Do all gates connect only with the other gates or does a gate from Earth hit 39 other gates and a gate on another planet hits 39 worlds, but only a portion corresponde to the gate on Earth? Potentially, there is an unlimited number of gates that can be made, but an easy max limit would be to use the number of symbols that need to be hit in order to open a gate as an exponent of the base 39. For instance, if three symbols need to be hit, then 39*39*39 (59,319 potential combinations) would be a fair number to start with. I should think that would be more than enough worlds to start with.

Actually you only can use 38*39*39 or 57798' date=' you always have to use the symbol of Earth as the last symbol so that reduces the number of symbols that can be used. I might be wrong on the math.[/quote']I doubt you are wrong. My math sucks. Still a lot of worlds. :)

Well you can build up 20-30 worlds and then add as necessary to fill in the blanks. You can add a aworld a session and still have plenty more options before the campaign sputters and dies.

Besides, there will be a certain versimilitude develop when the characters travel back to previously explored worlds for whatever reason. If I were to start my own campaign again, I might consider Stargates as an alternative or addition to space flight. :) Sure easier to get the players between points in space.

What I think I was going to do was set up a closed Stargate system, limited worlds but if you find the needed 'parts' you can expand the number of worlds.

In the game we have going now, a modifed Champions that has Earth entering the Stellar Age, we have a simple gate system, not for people but for ships.

How do you do the spoiler bit? I want to post this but I have two PC's that are on the boards. I'd hope they wouldn't look.

There are, in fact, 39 glyphs--38 constellations plus a unique point of origin on each 'gate.

The point of origin is always the last glyph in an address, so you don't need to count it for purposes of calculating the number of possible combinations. Because the rest of an address within the same galaxy always consists of six nonrepeating glyphs, the total number of possibilities is (38 x 37 x 36 x 35 x 34 x 33) = 1,987,690,320.

There are, in fact, 39 glyphs--38 constellations plus a unique point of origin on each 'gate.

The point of origin is always the last glyph in an address, so you don't need to count it for purposes of calculating the number of possible combinations. Because the rest of an address within the same galaxy always consists of six nonrepeating glyphs, the total number of possibilities is (38 x 37 x 36 x 35 x 34 x 33) = 1,987,690,320.

Wow!!! Thank you for that info.

However, the addresses aren't just like phone numbers. Reference is made to them being coordinates, in which case each symbol may have to be used in a particular place (one symbol might have to be used in one position and might not be able to be used in another, for instance).

But then, there aren't enough symbols for it to be a true galactic coordinate system, so there's some fudging going on there (as with a lot of the other goofiness from the film).

And best of all, if you end a game with a team heading through the Stargate, you can say you ended the session with a glyph-hanger. ;)

There are millions of possible addresses, but it is well established on the show that these are coordinate systems. 90+% of them don't correspond to another gate and are therefore useless. They tried dialing random addresses for years without getting any result.

If you want to really bend your noodle, consider this:

The Stargate's have 9 Chevrons.

All "short" range travel in the milky way has taken place using seven addresses.

An eighth Chevron can be activated if you have a big enough power supply. This allows travel between gate networks in separate galaxies. This is how the characters from Stargate: Atlantis got to the Pegasus Galaxy, and has been used once or twice to go to the Asgard homeworld.

Where, exactly, the ninth Chevron allows you to go has never been explored.

There are millions of possible addresses, but it is well established on the show that these are coordinate systems. 90+% of them don't correspond to another gate and are therefore useless. They tried dialing random addresses for years without getting any result.

If you want to really bend your noodle, consider this:

The Stargate's have 9 Chevrons.

All "short" range travel in the milky way has taken place using seven addresses.

An eighth Chevron can be activated if you have a big enough power supply. This allows travel between gate networks in separate galaxies. This is how the characters from Stargate: Atlantis got to the Pegasus Galaxy, and has been used once or twice to go to the Asgard homeworld.

Where, exactly, the ninth Chevron allows you to go has never been explored.

Ever play "Fringeworthy"?

:sneaky:

Hey, there's something to be said about not just fast, but FTL Food (and considering the flavor of White Castle food, it wouldn't suprise me if that's the sort of thing served on cheap FTL flights). ;)

I've found lately I can't abide fast food - almost like I've outgrown it. While I love the occassional double whopper, I prefer my own cooking (although I'm a sucker for Fried Chicken to this day).

To me, the ninth chevron's purpose is to increase the amount of permutations possible to further add security.

If you know nothing of the stargates, you may not even know which chevrons need to be set. Or in what order. Hence the 9th chevron adds another multiple to the possible permutations.