Building a Cybernetic "brainjack"

Vassoom

Re: Building a Cybernetic "brainjack"

It didn't just bring it to the mainstream - it's credited as the First Real Cyberpunk Book. If it weren't for Neuromancer it'd all still be just Science Fiction.

Thats a subject of lengthy debate. That's kind of like saying Nirvana was the first Grunge band. Mainstream awareness often gets transmuted into originative status even when its not entirely accurate.

At any rate, the success of Neuromancer certainly lead to an explosion in the sub genre, so its moot.

Everyone who even thinks about playing a CP Game should be required to read this book. Along with several others, but that's my opinion on the matter.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Gibson -- I really don't think he's that good of a writer. However, to have a historical understanding of Cyberpunk its useful to read him.

Kind of like Tolkein and fantasy -- I really don't like his writing style or books, but Ive read the major works and have copies of them for reference. It's too big of an influence on the genre to ignore it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a subject of lengthy debate. That's kind of like saying Nirvana was the first Grunge band. Mainstream awareness often gets transmuted into originative status even when its not entirely accurate.

At any rate, the success of Neuromancer certainly lead to an explosion in the sub genre, so its moot.

definitely. Before Neuromancer there were a number of books that would be later recategorized as Cyberpunk: pretty much everything by P.K.Dick; Schizmatrix, Gravity's Rainbow, City Come A Walkin' and any number of books going back to the 50s.

But if it weren't for Neuromancer and the combined weight of Gibson and Sterling in the Sci-Fi circle the term would never have made it out. So it's the First if not the first Cyberpunk Book.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Gibson -- I really don't think he's that good of a writer. However, to have a historical understanding of Cyberpunk its useful to read him.

Kind of like Tolkein and fantasy -- I really don't like his writing style or books, but Ive read the major works and have copies of them for reference. It's too big of an influence on the genre to ignore it.

I like exactly 3 Gibson books: Neuromancer (for waking me up); Burning Chrome (more good ideas packed in those stories than a lifetime of novels from other authors) and All Tomorrow's Parties (because when I read it I was reminded of what I liked about the genre).

The short story collections have always grabbed my attention more than the novels within the genre anyways, Sterling certainly does his best work in the Short Story form.

[ditto on Tolkein]

I like exactly 3 Gibson books: Neuromancer (for waking me up); Burning Chrome (more good ideas packed in those stories than a lifetime of novels from other authors) and All Tomorrow's Parties (because when I read it I was reminded of what I liked about the genre).

The short story collections have always grabbed my attention more than the novels within the genre anyways, Sterling certainly does his best work in the Short Story form.

[ditto on Tolkein]

I own seven Gibson books. The Neuromancer "Trilogy" (Neuromancer, Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive), and the Virtual Light "trilogy" (Virtual Light, Idoru, and All Tomorrow's Parties). Personally, I find the VR series more interesting and better written than the first series. I also have Burning Chrome and agree that the short stories are better.

As for Tolkien, I find The Hobbit a fun read, and have two copies, one is the nice green leatherette slipcased edition, the second is an over-sized annotated edition. LOTR is somewhat harder to chew through, and suffers from Tolkien's epic scope of story. I have two copies of this as well, one is the nice red leatherette slipcased edition, the second is a slip-cased edition with a black leather cover that went for around $100.00 a pop. My mom works in the school system, however, and picked it up as a birthday present for me, for far less.

Oh, and on the subject of c-punk novels, I need to mention two favorites of mine, Snow Crash and Jennifer Government.

I own seven Gibson books. The Neuromancer "Trilogy" (Neuromancer' date=' [i']Count Zero[/i], and Mona Lisa Overdrive), and the Virtual Light "trilogy" (Virtual Light, Idoru, and All Tomorrow's Parties). Personally, I find the VR series more interesting and better written than the first series. I also have Burning Chrome and agree that the short stories are better.

Oh, and on the subject of c-punk novels, I need to mention two favorites of mine, Snow Crash and Jennifer Government.

The second trilogy is known as the Bridge Trilogy, as a tidbit.

I really liked Snow Crash, I also think it completely ruined what cyberpunk was - changing it irrevocably. I have liked very little that was published since it came out (including the rest of Stephenson's books). I moved onto China Meville and Charles De Lint - urban fantasy, good stuff.

I really need to read Jennifer Government. I've had the hardback sitting around since it was put out, but since I never actually finished Pattern Recognition (ooh do I not like that chunk of trash) I pretty much gave up on the genre to be honest.

The second trilogy is known as the Bridge Trilogy' date=' as a tidbit.[/quote']

I'll try to remember that. ;)

I really liked Snow Crash, I also think it completely ruined what cyberpunk was - changing it irrevocably. I have liked very little that was published since it came out (including the rest of Stephenson's books). I moved onto China Meville and Charles De Lint - urban fantasy, good stuff.

Hmm... I own Diamond Age, Zodiac, Cryptinomicon, and the Baroque Cycle. I've read all but the last two of the Cycle. Zodiac is rather "enh", but it is an early, if not first, book of Stephenson's. Baroque is fascinating, but I need to start over, to keep it all straight.

I really need to read Jennifer Government. I've had the hardback sitting around since it was put out' date=' but since I never actually finished Pattern Recognition (ooh do I not like that chunk of trash) I pretty much gave up on the genre to be honest.[/quote']

Yes you do. And yes, Pattern Recognition was utter crap. It shouldn't even been in the SF&F section (IMO).

Hmm... I own Diamond Age' date=' Zodiac, Cryptinomicon[/i'], and the Baroque Cycle. I've read all but the last two of the Cycle. Zodiac is rather "enh", but it is an early, if not first, book of Stephenson's. Baroque is fascinating, but I need to start over, to keep it all straight.

The Baroque Cycle is brilliant. The first book was really gripping, the second book wasn't as strong for me, and the third was fantastic. Overall, the trilogy was amazing.

But I should mention that it has nothing to do with Cyberpunk. :D

Oddly enough, one of the books I would recommend for Cyberpunk players is Get In The Van by Henry Rollins. It's his diaries, and some rembmering from before he kept such things, from his time with Black Flag.

The attitude he exudes, and some of the situations, are the Punk in Cyberpunk.

Which is oft forgotten.

The Baroque Cycle is brilliant. The first book was really gripping, the second book wasn't as strong for me, and the third was fantastic. Overall, the trilogy was amazing.

But I should mention that it has nothing to do with Cyberpunk. :D

Everyone says that.... Which is what I went and re-bought the series in paperback after dumping the volume 1 hardback I had. :)

Oddly enough' date=' one of the books I would recommend for Cyberpunk players is [b']Get In The Van[/b] by Henry Rollins. It's his diaries, and some rembmering from before he kept such things, from his time with Black Flag.

The attitude he exudes, and some of the situations, are the Punk in Cyberpunk.

Which is oft forgotten.

If you ever get the chance to see Henry Rollins Spoken Word, do so.

I was thinking you could do the skill softs as, "Overall Skill Levels" with the limitation that in order to change the Overall Skill Level, you need to swap the chip (kind of like chaging a clip in a firearm).

This should effectively only provide bonuses to skills already known. I would also purchase additional SPD "only while connected" this is probably a -0 limitation or at best -1/2 depending on if it is wireless jack or not. Instead of Restrainable as a Lim, you might want to go with OIHID - same cost...

I hadn't fully fleshed out the full scope of what they would allow when I built the power. I like your driving enhancement idea alot, and will definitely incorporate that.

However, the full gamut of possible advantages that I had envisioned includes:

[Lots, with more coming.]

I'd also love to hear any more possible ideas to how a brainjack could be fully taken advantage of in a futuristic game.

I have something on my "list of ideas to write up" that might help you here. Remind me in a week or two if I haven't replied yet?

I'd also love to hear any more possible ideas to how a brainjack could be fully taken advantage of in a futuristic game.

Here's some of the ways I've used them:

Skill Jacks

Area Knowledge - maps, locations, building layouts, network layouts, infrastructure grids (electricity grid, water grid, sewer grid).

Skill Bonuses - Used as onboard reference for any number of skills you might already know. I never ever let a Skill Chip give you a skill you don't have unless that skill is almost 100% reference material (such as maps above). Chips and Brainjacks can't impart experience (IMO). example:

-Streetwise: +1-3 Streetwise; harder to comeby, and they lose usefulness moderately quickly. Lists of local thugs, gangs and hustlers. Hangouts and if appropriate local slang.

Rigging Jack

+1-2 Combat Driving or Piloting. reflects a heightened response time between driver and vehicle as muscle reflexes and some vehicle mechanics (steering wheel, switches) are bypassed.

Sensory Jack

Splitting sensory input between your brain and the jack one can directly output any or all senses to a specialized recording device; Just sound and sight is simple and outputs strait to any standard video format. Other senses require more elaborate material, usually only done in a Studio Space, for SenseVid Production.

Link Jack

This is a basic jack almost everyone has, direct connect to a computer network; usually a non-specialized network such as the Internet. More expensive models come with specialized software that may increase the link speed (+1 SPD, Computer Network Actions Only) or have built in memory with program enhancements (+1-2 with Computer Related Skills).

. . .I had another but can't remember what it was.

[Lots' date= with more coming.]

I have something on my "list of ideas to write up" that might help you here. Remind me in a week or two if I haven't replied yet?

Will do. I look forward to hearing your ideas!

- Vassoom

Here's some of the ways I've used them:

Skill Jacks

Area Knowledge - maps, locations, building layouts, network layouts, infrastructure grids (electricity grid, water grid, sewer grid).

Skill Bonuses - Used as onboard reference for any number of skills you might already know. I never ever let a Skill Chip give you a skill you don't have unless that skill is almost 100% reference material (such as maps above). Chips and Brainjacks can't impart experience (IMO). example:

-Streetwise: +1-3 Streetwise; harder to comeby, and they lose usefulness moderately quickly. Lists of local thugs, gangs and hustlers. Hangouts and if appropriate local slang.

Rigging Jack

+1-2 Combat Driving or Piloting. reflects a heightened response time between driver and vehicle as muscle reflexes and some vehicle mechanics (steering wheel, switches) are bypassed.

Sensory Jack

Splitting sensory input between your brain and the jack one can directly output any or all senses to a specialized recording device; Just sound and sight is simple and outputs strait to any standard video format. Other senses require more elaborate material, usually only done in a Studio Space, for SenseVid Production.

Link Jack

This is a basic jack almost everyone has, direct connect to a computer network; usually a non-specialized network such as the Internet. More expensive models come with specialized software that may increase the link speed (+1 SPD, Computer Network Actions Only) or have built in memory with program enhancements (+1-2 with Computer Related Skills).

. . .I had another but can't remember what it was.

These are great. I especially like the "short duration relevance" for the Streetwise chip and the Sensory Jack. <makes notes to add similar items>

Thanks for sharing!

- Vassoom

Some really great stuff on your site' date=' KS. I'd seen it before when I was still formulating my campaign before starting, and although it had slightly less content at that time, it almost certainly influenced a lot of my early decisions. So thanks for posting all of it. [...SNIP...']

Skill Chip readers are discussed here, as well as Combat Assist Computers:

http://www.killershrike.com/MetaCyber/MetaCyberCharacters_BodyTech_Cybernetics_Skills.shtml

Your CACs are intriguing, however, and might work if I scale them down a touch to match my lower-level campaign. (My characters started as only halfway between Skilled and Competent normals at only 35 base + 40 disads, all of them were essentially working poor, and they are only now up to 100-105 pt characters with earned XP). I'll have to give them some thought...

After reviewing Killer Shrike's excellent CACs and giving the idea some thought, I decided to throw a little more cyberenhanced-weapons lovin' over to the combat members of the group by fully fleshing out my campaign's "SmartLink weapon system". Since they are purely limited to combat, I didn't have a problem adding a few "new" combat skills along with things like Combat Skill Levels and PSLs.

Also of note is the pricing. Since everyone in my group is starting from "the ground up", the prices (to them) are "astronomical", and it would take them upwards of 6 or more highly-paid runs to afford just one of the more expensive SmartLink modules. That will limit their introduction, but will also give the players yet another equipment "money sink" to save up for.

Since the group's "combat monster" just spent most of his money to acquire his brainjack in preparation for such things, I've attached the associated handout that I gave to the players for anyone who's curious. It is basically the glossy sales brochure (complete with "market-speak") that introduces the SmartLink system to the characters, coupled with the HERO builds and in-game pricing. They drooled over the advantages, but also suffered major sticker shock (as intended) at the prices.

- Vassoom

P.S. The name of my Dark Champions campaign is "The Iron Bridge", hence the handout's filename.

ah! You've reminded me what that other Jack was:

Combat Jack

This is really software for a Link Jack or Skill Jack; it connects to a Smart Weapon. The Smary Weapon utilizes several pieces of software the most common being a link to an onboard microcamera situation just above (or below) the barrel giving the closest thing you can get to Through The Barrel View without actually being a bullet. +2 PSL vs Range and up to +2 With Smark Linked Weapons as an option on advanced software.

Other Combat Jack options include controling the weapon such as Safety, Autorfire options (moving from single to full auto with thought), and in some fancy weapons replacing the trigger completely reducing the mechanical upkeep of the weapon in question (very useful in extended field missions to have a few less moving parts to worry about).

One example of uses was the Apache IV Long Range Gunship - the pilot has a Rigging Jack to fly the machine, the gunner has a Combat Jack to control all the weapon systems.

Here's my version of a smart weapon:

FUCHI-KARAWA

Viper Autotracker; "the Cheater"

A popular gun among less skilled marksmen; the Viper's integral brainjack uplink assists aiming. People with any amount of actual skill generally sneer at those who need the assist, and people using them are the butt of many jokes.

Pistol: Viper Auto Tracker: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6-1 (vs. PD), 32 Charges (+1/4) (31 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Min 1-5 Cannot Add Damage (-3/4), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4); Real Cost: 9 points

Brainjack Targeting: +6 OCV; (30 Active Points); Requires Brainjack (-1/4), OAF (-1) Real Cost: 9 points

Point and Shoot: WF: Pistol; (1 Active Points); Requires Brainjack (-1/4), OAF (-1) Real Cost: 1 point

TOTAL COST: 19 points; ~11,780 credits

Its not a campaign, its from Nueromancer by William Gibson, the book that brought Cyberpunk to the mainstream.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuromancer

and here is my review of it:

http://www.killershrike.com/MiscStuff/RecentlyRead.htm#Neuromancer

Bit of a disappointment; I mean, a campaign where that kinda stuff happened would be real fun.

OTOH, getting to read about it has good points, too.

I'll have to see who I can borrom that from. ;)

Thanks for telling me. :D