Building a Cybernetic "brainjack"

Vassoom

I was wondering if any other GMs had built a "cranial jack", the prototypical cybernetic implant that allows future computer users to plug a cyberdeck directly into their head, a la William Gibson.

I've seen one build that used the 5 point Perk "Computer Link", but to my mind, this is quite a stretch. The Computer Link description states "A character can buy Computer Link to reflect the fact that he has permanent access to [heavily restricted] databases." Although the Perk's name certainly sounds apropos, the perk's actual benefits are very different, as the brainjack has no real relationship to secure or hard to access databases, per se.

Since the brainjack is simply an improved type of computer/user interface, my thought was to build it as a Skill Level, one that would grant the user of a brainjack an enhanced ability to interact with the select computer system and/or cyberworld, as opposed to someone forced to use a more traditional interface.

Here's how I thought it might be built:

[indent][b][i]Cybernetic Brainjack:[/i]
+1 with all Computer Skills[/b] (5 Active Points);
 [b]Limited Power:[/b] Power loses about half of its effectiveness
(Only when connected to a computer system via the
 cybernetic brainjack; -1),
 [b]Restrainable[/b] (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles: by EMP; -1/4)
[b]Real Cost: 2 points[/b]
[/indent]

As suggested in the 5E sourcebook, I used the "Restrainable" Limitation since it's not really a Focus, since even an Inaccessible Focus is defined as something that could be easily removed by anyone who spends a single Turn out of combat. Since a cybernetic implant could only be removed by surgery, I felt the "Restrainable by EMP" was more appropriate.

Since I use the expanded set of Computer Programming skills as defined in the Dark Champions sourcebook and HeroBuilder (originally per Star Hero, iirc), I decided the 5 point "A group of similar skills" Skill Level was the most appropriate, as there are nearly a dozen types of Computer Skills when using the expanded set in a futuristic setting.

I'd appreciate hearing what all of you think of this particular build, or if you have alternative ones that you prefer.

- Vassoom

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Building a Cybernetic "brainjack"

I guess it depends what you want to be able to do with the jack.

lets see if it just lets you directly interface with a computer with the correct socket for speed of thought operation perhaps buying some speed reading and skill levels only to reduce the tasks duration on the time chart.

if it lets you to control vehicles as if they where an extension of the body skill levels to reduce driving penalties would Be appropriate

if it lets you jack into cyberspace then perhaps EDM or duplication

and if it lets you create strange days style experiential recordings actually I'm not sure how to build that retro-cognition usable by others perhaps?

or transform blank media to experiential recording and the viewers player would be either retrocognition only to show events recorded on experiential tapes or mental illusions with fixed effects only whats on the tape.

I guess it depends what you want to be able to do with the jack.

That's an excellent point. Since only one of my players has one so far (and he's a hacker), I hadn't fully fleshed out the full scope of what they would allow when I built the power. I like your driving enhancement idea alot, and will definitely incorporate that.

However, the full gamut of possible advantages that I had envisioned includes:

1. Superior interface/interaction with a computer/cyberdeck/cyberspace (+1 to Computer Skill Rolls)
  2. Allow the user to take advantage of SmartLink weapon systems which add Combat and Penalty Skill Levels. (Benefits of SmartLink weapon systems vary by type, but will typically grant some combination of the following: +2 OCV, +10 RMod, UV [low light] vision, IR [heat-sensing] vision, Telescopic Sight, Rangefinder. However, this bonus is part of the SmartLink item, not the cranial jack, so in this case the cranial jack is simply a requirement for the SmartLink weapon system item to bestow its bonuses. For example, a SmartLink equipped handgun would bestow no bonuses if the wielder doesn't have a brainjack to connect it to.)
  3. Higher grade (and more expensive) brainjacks can contain "expansion slots" (small Power Pools with additional OAF SkillSoft chips as a requirement), which would allow the insertion of things like:

1. Memory chips (Eidetic memory, only for recalling facts [rather than images, sounds, emotion or subtext])
    2. SkillSoft Data (instant Language skills, Area Knowledge, KS, CuK, etc.)
    3. SkillSoft Enhancers (+1 to +3 Skill Levels with <Already_Known_Skill>). Note: I had already decided that SkillSofts wouldn't provide the user with a brand new skill like Acrobatics, Lockpicking, or Martial Arts [a la The Matrix], as that would be way too unbalancing. But if the user already had the skill (i.e., they've spent some Character Points on it), the SkillSoft chip would enhance it and grant some skill levels so they would be slightly better at it with the enhancer chip in. So Joe Citizen couldn't plug in a "SkillSoft™: Demolitions" chip and suddenly be a bomb expert, but if the character already had Demolitions, they would get Skill Levels to improve their roll thanks to the handy reference data stored in the chip. I allowed things like Languages and Knowledge Skills with the data chips, though, since I see them are far less unbalancing to the campaign.

Here's how I had built the cybernetic cranial jack with a Chip Reader in the 1 expansion slot:

[u][b]Cranial Jack w/ Chip Reader (1 Expansion Slot):[/b][/u]
(Total: 22 Active Cost, 14 Real Cost)
[b]+1 with any Computer Skills[/b] (5 Active Points);
[b] Limited Power[/b] Power loses about half of its effectiveness 
 (Only when connected to a computer system via the cybernetic brainjack; -1),
[b] Restrainable[/b] (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; by EMP; -1/4)
(Real Cost: 2)
[b]PLUS[/b]
 [b]Variable Power Pool[/b], 9 base + 3 control cost, 
all slots:
 [b]No Skill Roll Required to Change Powers[/b] (+1) (17 Active Points);
 [b]IAF Fragile[/b] (SkillSoft chip, -3/4),
[b] Extra Time[/b] (Full Phase, for assimilation of SkillSoft information; -1/2),
[b] Restrainable[/b] (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; by EMP; -1/4)
(Real Cost: 12)

With regard to the driving enhancer as suggested in your excellent post, I think my build is OK if I simply replace "+1 w/ Computer Skill Rolls" with the more generic text "+1 w/ a Group of Related Skills", since it's the same 5 pt Skill Level. And the group of "related" skills will simply include Computer Skills, Combat Driving, and Combat Piloting, all of which are only possible with the appropriate brainjack interface to the system/vehicle. What do you think?

The "Strange Days" idea is intriguing, too...but one of the characters (a TechnoMage) already has an images recording and playback device, so that would probably stomp on her schtick somewhat. But I'll mull it over and see if it's feasible. Gibson used something similar in his Neuromancer novels, but it was a one-way realtime transmission of sensory information rather than a recording, and he describing it as "having a rider".

I'd also love to hear any more possible ideas to how a brainjack could be fully taken advantage of in a futuristic game.

- Vassoom

Maybe even mind link with whatever computer you're connected to.

Well, I'm not building computers or cyberspace using any HERO mental powers, and my campaign doesn't involve much "complex" interaction with cyberspace or "the matrix". It's mostly just a more robust and graphical 3D version of the current internet. There are plenty of systems and databases to connect with (or hack into) online, but I'm primarily just using it as a global resource or tool rather than a separate environment (i.e., there are no "deck runs" in my Cyberpunk-flavor game.)

However, if I did want to employ a power that allowed someone with a brainjack to share sensory information similar to Gibson's "rider", Mind Link plus Clairsentience (Only to use subject's senses) would be one good option.

- Vassoom

How about just buying it as extra SPD, limited to actions that interface with a computer or network, only when jacked in? The point of the jack is that it's supposed to be faster than using other inputs, not that it makes you any more skilled.

Alternately, model cyberspace on a "Speed Zone" basis, with jacks giving characters different amounts of SPD (based on quality). I'd probably limit it to no more than one turn worth of actions for balance's sake, but it'd be appropriate, I think. This is probably the best model, but can get expensive in a hurry and may not be worth the points depending on the campaign.

I was wondering if any other GMs had built a "cranial jack"' date=' the prototypical cybernetic implant that allows future computer users to plug a cyberdeck directly into their head, [i']a la [/i]William Gibson.

Not sure if you've taken a look at this but you might want to try:

http://www.starherofandom.com/h_shadowrun/index.php

The chapter on gear/cyberware might be of help....

And the version of Maj Kusanagi at:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionsanime/kusanagi.html

has a datajack as follows --

10 Data Jack: +3 with Computer-Related Skills; Requires Interface

Capable Computer (-0), Requires Accessible Datacable (-1/2)

Which combines with her Multipower ---

60 Net Diving Programs: Multipower: 90-point pool; Attacker And

Target Must be Linked To Net (-1/2)

12 1) m User Attack Program: Ego Attack 6d6, Reduced Endurance

(0 END; +1/2)

12 2) m Command Override Program: Mind Control 12d6 versus Human

Minds, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Uses INT Instead Of

EGO (-0)

6 3) m Net Search: Mind Scanning 12d6, Reduced Endurance (0

END; +1/2); Uses INT instead of EGO (-0), Concentrate (1/2 DCV,

must Concentrate throughout; -1/2), Extra

Time (Full Phase; -1/2), Requires Computer Interface (-1/2)

6 4) m Data Search: Telepathy 12d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END;

+1/2); Uses INT instead of EGO (-0), Concentrate (1/2 DCV, must

Concentrate throughout; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase; -1/2),

Requires Computer Interface (-1/2)

12 5) m Attack Barrier: 3d6 Ego Attack, Damage Shield (+1/2),

Continuous (+1), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2)

2 6) m Coded Link: Mind Link: Any Mind, up to 8 at once; Can Only

Be Maintained With Others Who Have Mind Link (-1)

Definately worth a look, I think....YMMV of course. :D

-Carl-

I almost always treat the jack itself as a Special Effect. It can be the reason you have a bunch of "cyber powers" or it is, like in Gibsonian Worlds, ubiquitous enough that pretty much anyone can get it why charge points? It's like a drivers liscense at that point.

If it's Cutting Edge, brand new tech that few people have I use a Custom Perk (Brain Jack) at 2 points usually.

Why? Well, if it's so new almost no one has it then almost no systems can take advantage of it. Otherwise if everyone has it (including the street punks) and almost every system can connect to it why charge points for what is essentially an Everyman Object.

And the Brain Jacks in Gibsonian Worlds don't make hackers better - they just allow hackers to access the pretty digital world so I don't buy into the + Skills aspect of the Jack either.

I almost always treat the jack itself as a Special Effect. It can be the reason you have a bunch of "cyber powers" or it is, like in Gibsonian Worlds, ubiquitous enough that pretty much anyone can get it why charge points? It's like a drivers liscense at that point.

If it's Cutting Edge, brand new tech that few people have I use a Custom Perk (Brain Jack) at 2 points usually.

Why? Well, if it's so new almost no one has it then almost no systems can take advantage of it. Otherwise if everyone has it (including the street punks) and almost every system can connect to it why charge points for what is essentially an Everyman Object.

And the Brain Jacks in Gibsonian Worlds don't make hackers better - they just allow hackers to access the pretty digital world so I don't buy into the + Skills aspect of the Jack either.

Good points, tho' I think that a case might (just might) be made for adding

"plus skills" for some computer skills by having a jack just as in the same way

that having "proper" lock-picks/etc might add to the chance of success

with skills relating to "breaking and entering".

-Carl-

You might find some useful cybernetics stuff here:

http://www.killershrike.com/MetaCyber/MetaCyber.shtml

http://www.killershrike.com/MetaCyber/MetaCyberCharacters_BodyTech.shtml

I handled "brainjacks" as a straight up Computer Link perk:

http://www.killershrike.com/MetaCyber/MetaCyberCharacters_BodyTech_Cybernetics_TalentsPerks.shtml

Skill Chip readers are discussed here, as well as Combat Assist Computers:

http://www.killershrike.com/MetaCyber/MetaCyberCharacters_BodyTech_Cybernetics_Skills.shtml

Good points, tho' I think that a case might (just might) be made for adding

"plus skills" for some computer skills by having a jack just as in the same way

that having "proper" lock-picks/etc might add to the chance of success

with skills relating to "breaking and entering".

-Carl-

1) Becuase "proper" lock picks are required, IMO, to use the Lockpicking Skill. Without them you start to get penalties for "improper tools"

2) If you have an "advanced" or "exceptionally good" set of lockpick I would say that's Skill Levels with Focus on them for Lockpicking.

Going along those lines, if you have a "State Of The Art, Custom Built" Brain Jack I would allow that as Skill Levels, or as the reason you bought Skill Levels.

but the Jack itself, it's simply required to access the datanet and in and of itself I would say has no inherent bonus to anything.

1) Becuase "proper" lock picks are required, IMO, to use the Lockpicking Skill. Without them you start to get penalties for "improper tools"

2) If you have an "advanced" or "exceptionally good" set of lockpick I would say that's Skill Levels with Focus on them for Lockpicking.

Going along those lines, if you have a "State Of The Art, Custom Built" Brain Jack I would allow that as Skill Levels, or as the reason you bought Skill Levels.

but the Jack itself, it's simply required to access the datanet and in and of itself I would say has no inherent bonus to anything.

Agreed....I would potentially put the modifier "cyber cable required" (ala the

Major Kusanagi build mentioned previously) limitation on the skill adders tho'

which sort of moves the cranial jack into that grey area between

SFX and focus....Shrug.

My $.02US. YMMV.:D

-Carl-

How about just buying it as extra SPD, limited to actions that interface with a computer or network, only when jacked in? The point of the jack is that it's supposed to be faster than using other inputs, not that it makes you any more skilled.

Alternately, model cyberspace on a "Speed Zone" basis, with jacks giving characters different amounts of SPD (based on quality). I'd probably limit it to no more than one turn worth of actions for balance's sake, but it'd be appropriate, I think. This is probably the best model, but can get expensive in a hurry and may not be worth the points depending on the campaign.

An interesting idea, but as I said earlier, I'm not using cyberspace as an alternative environment. I decided against a more Gibsonian "cyberrealm" because (in my opinion) it doesn't make good gaming for the entire group. At best it would be fun for one of the players, and it would also encourage the "decker" to be separated from the rest of the team. Instead, I simply opted for a more traditional "internet" that simply has tons of information, commerce, and electronic money available online, some available to the general public and some only available via privileged access or a hacker.

The data jack as listed above is pretty close to what I used, except I didn't want to give it quite that much of an advantage...+3 with any skill is *huge*. If a player upgrades to a jack with a chip reader, they can slot a SkillSoft that will add additional skill levels with Computer Skill Rolls, but the jack alone simply gives them access to a better interface rather than allowing them to suddenly become "super hacker".

(0 END; +1/2)

EGO (-0)

If I were running cyberspace as a separate environment, I would almost certainly use mental powers as listed above...but I didn't want to go there for the reasons stated above. For the record, when I told my players about my decision regarding no adventures in cyberspace or "deck runs", they were actually glad to hear it, so it all depends on your group's expectations, I suppose.

An excellent point. But brainjacks are still far from ubiquitous in my world. Only the elite "wireheads" have them, such as hackers, elite programmers, wired combat monsters, or those who simply favor all types of cybernetic enhancement. I agree, however, that the Perk is a good way to go if it's more of a commodity.

The alternative to the cranial jack in my world is a set of electrodes that sits on top of your head, similar to the 'trodes used in "Strange Days" if you've seen that movie (pretty good flick, btw). Electrodes provide a fairly similar representation of the matrix, but it's only one way...you still need to use other input devices (keyboard, VR gloves, etc) to interact with the cyberdeck/matrix. I opted to give the jack owners a minor skill boost (+1) because the jack allows for a much more efficient input, which would make them just a little more effective at almost everything they do on the system.

- Vassoom

Some really great stuff on your site, KS. I'd seen it before when I was still formulating my campaign before starting, and although it had slightly less content at that time, it almost certainly influenced a lot of my early decisions. So thanks for posting all of it. I decided against using "Computer Link" since it's defined as access to a restricted database. The name certainly fits, however.

Skill Chip readers are discussed here, as well as Combat Assist Computers:

http://www.killershrike.com/MetaCyber/MetaCyberCharacters_BodyTech_Cybernetics_Skills.shtml

Looks like our chip readers are nearly identical, but as mine is a lower level hero campaign rather than "supers" level, I decided against allowing "new" skills to be gained via a chip other than languages, Knowledge Skills like AK and CuK, and other information-only based skills. However, for skills they already have paid for with character points, the chips would grant a few modest skill levels (ex: Computer Programming, Demolitions, etc).

I rather like how you further delineated what SkillSofts convey by restricting them to only INT-based skills, Weapon Familiarities, and Transport Familiarities. That prevents the dreaded out-of-shape 50 year old man from slotting a "SkillSoft: Acrobatics" chip and suddenly becoming a passable gymnast. I definitely want to avoid that. However, I'm still not keen on allowing them to gain a wholly new INT skill at will via a slotted chip, even something like Electronics or Security Systems. I'd rather force them to spend at least some points on the skill, and then allow the SkillSofts to enhance the little they have already learned via Skill Levels.

Your CACs are intriguing, however, and might work if I scale them down a touch to match my lower-level campaign. (My characters started as only halfway between Skilled and Competent normals at only 35 base + 40 disads, all of them were essentially working poor, and they are only now up to 100-105 pt characters with earned XP). I'll have to give them some thought...

Since my campaign began with all of the characters being "flat broke", everyone actually started out with only "poor" grade equipment. Their initial tools were all at a -2 penalty (one had a crappy set of lockpicks, another had a crappy obsolete cyberdeck, etc) and they've been slowly upgrading their equipment as they've gained cash and XP from runs. (I really like games that start you out with the bare minimum...makes every little item of loot that much more exciting. It also gives the players a real sense of accomplishment to take their "barely surviving", only moderately skilled would-be heroes and eventually end up with powerful heroic characters sporting the very best gear available. The players seem to enjoy it, too.)

Agreed....I would potentially put the modifier "cyber cable required" (ala the

Major Kusanagi build mentioned previously) limitation on the skill adders tho'

which sort of moves the cranial jack into that grey area between

SFX and focus....Shrug.

My $.02US. YMMV.:D

Yeah, it's definitely a gray area, although all of my systems do have a "wireless" option that can eliminate the need for an actual cable to be plugged into the brainjack (think of a sort of futuristic bluetooth which I called "FireTooth")...but then there's the issue of security since a wireless signal can be intercepted or jammed. It forces the characters to decide between convenience/style (wireless) and security/criticality (cabled).

- Vassoom

This is exactly a Mind Link. Since you can decide which class of minds a mental power affects, just say "Machine Class of Minds" and there you are.

Also, say "Affected as Radio Sense Group, not Mental Sense Group" and you're done.

If a cable, that's OIF too.

Everything else is special effects, IMO. :D

The alternative to the cranial jack in my world is a set of electrodes that sits on top of your head, similar to the 'trodes used in "Strange Days" if you've seen that movie (pretty good flick, btw). Electrodes provide a fairly similar representation of the matrix, but it's only one way...you still need to use other input devices (keyboard, VR gloves, etc) to interact with the cyberdeck/matrix. I opted to give the jack owners a minor skill boost (+1) because the jack allows for a much more efficient input, which would make them just a little more effective at almost everything they do on the system.

- Vassoom

I'd also point out that in Neuromancer Case used trodes, not a brainjack, to access the Net and to piggyback on Molly.

I'd also point out that in Neuromancer Case used trodes' date='[/quote']

OT, but I always thought "trode" is one of the ugliest psudo-slang words ever. Not knocking you, oh angelic one, just sayin'. :)

piggyback on Molly.

Now that sounds dirty. :winkgrin:

:rofl:

One of the characters in my group is a self-aware android with an evolving AI. The campaign takes place in modern times and androids' existence is a well-guarded secret. He has "gone off the reservation", as his handlers would put it. He was designed to have basic combat and survival skills and extra memory for mission specific skills, which can be changed between missions. I built his extra memory as a generic VPP with 21 points that can be used to boost skills or learn a new maneuver. I only let him use the points on something that a normal human could learn, so he can boost a few known skills, buy a suite of 7 skills at 11-, learn Kung Fu, etc. just as long as it is 21 points or less. He can only change skills 1/day and he has to succeed on a Hacking roll in order to access the skill set database, since he is a rogue unit. He is basically a walking computer, so he has a universal computer link; it just requires a T1 or higher landline or a Wi-Fi network. If the Hacking roll fails the character loses 6 points of skills and not necessarily ones in his VPP.

This is how I wrote it up:

25 Modular Skill Set: Variable Power Pool (Skills), 21 base + 4 control cost, (31 Active Points); all slots VPP Powers Can Be Changed Only In Given Circumstance (once every 24 hours when a computer link is available; -1/2), IAF (Technocratic Web; -1/2), Requires A Computer Programming Roll (-1/2), Side Effects (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character does some specific act; randomly loses 6 points worth of skills for 24 hours if hacking roll fails (not necessarily from the VPP); -1/4)

OT' date=' but I always thought "[i']trode[/i]" is one of the ugliest psudo-slang words ever. Not knocking you, oh angelic one, just sayin'. :)

Won't get any disagreement from me on that one.

Now that sounds dirty. :winkgrin:

:rofl:

Molly was physically breaking into a company, Case was jacked into her senses so he could direct her to the right place and hack a system remotely. At one point Molly - just to screw with Case who was not used to the idea of walking around in a woman's body - aroused herself. It was an interesting scene.

Molly was physically breaking into a company' date=' Case was jacked into her senses so he could direct her to the right place and hack a system remotely. At one point Molly - just to screw with Case who was not used to the idea of walking around in a woman's body - aroused herself. It was an interesting scene.[/quote']

:jawdrop:

Kin ya doo thayut on TeeVee??

:winkgrin: Sounds like an....interesting....campaign.

:eg:

Kin ya doo thayut on TeeVee??

:winkgrin: Sounds like an....interesting....campaign.

:eg:

Its not a campaign, its from Nueromancer by William Gibson, the book that brought Cyberpunk to the mainstream.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuromancer

and here is my review of it:

http://www.killershrike.com/MiscStuff/RecentlyRead.htm#Neuromancer

(0 END; +1/2)

EGO (-0)

Definately worth a look, I think....YMMV of course. :D

-Carl-

This is based on the mid-90s Kusanagi. The new SAC Kusanagi seems to have wireless. :)

The KAZEI 5 supplement (in the HERO Store) has piles of cyber, but it's A) 4th Edition, and B) late 1990s cyberpunk technology.

Its not a campaign, its from Nueromancer by William Gibson, the book that brought Cyberpunk to the mainstream.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuromancer

and here is my review of it:

http://www.killershrike.com/MiscStuff/RecentlyRead.htm#Neuromancer

It didn't just bring it to the mainstream - it's credited as the First Real Cyberpunk Book. If it weren't for Neuromancer it'd all still be just Science Fiction.

Everyone who even thinks about playing a CP Game should be required to read this book. Along with several others, but that's my opinion on the matter.