Assumptions within HERO

Manic Typist

Re: Still Beating a Dead Horse

I read the novel (but not sequels.) Everyone on Riverworld seems to have Resurrection with a strictly limited number of charges. But you don’t know how many charges you have.

IIRC, there was no limit. The easiest means for a prisoner to escape captivity was to simply kill himself and wake up elsewhere the next morning.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thread Drifting Out of Sight

IIRC' date=' there was no limit. The easiest means for a prisoner to escape captivity was to simply kill himself and wake up elsewhere the next morning.[/quote']

Hm. I seem to recall the protagonist going through a phase of reckless suicides because he'd figured out each time he came back further upriver, and he wanted to find the source. He eventually does, where he's warned that there IS a limit; eventually, the life-force cannot sustain yet another incarnation. Then they drop him downriver somewhere.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that this is thread drift on a grand scale...

How do you do that? Put a link in your post and then make it look like a word' date=' like "post?"[/quote']

Use a modern browser for HERO's website, give it trusted status, and use the "Insert Link" button after selecting the text you want to add a link for.

edit: Don't forget that you can still use different browsers for other sites, though you should be wary of a modern operating system trying to "integrate" all those applications and thus destroying the privacy you meant to achieve.

The bold was in the original. I was singling the sentence out as an example of one of the assumptions the thread is supposed to be about.

Oops! Sorry, my mistake. I hadn't remembered that from the original, and didn't go to check.

I still think it's fair to assume that zornwil meant the last sentence before your signature, though.

The palindromedary wonders if we’re going to talk the subject to death. Or' date=' eventually, talk the subject away from death.[/quote']

"Step down from the ledge, sir! Believe me, you do not want to jump!"

It would be nice if they didn't use the FONT tag to make it lime green which Cannot Be Read On White Backgrounds' date=' like the default forum setting. But that's a courtesy thing. (Yes, I realize it's probaby because they use the dark forum setting, and it probably looks great there.)[/quote']

Is this really a FONT tag? Added by the user, I mean? I'd always assumed it was a forum setting, since my own links show up like everyone else's: dark blue when I haven't been there, lime green after I've visited the URL - and I'm using the white background ;)

I wonder if I can alter the color by trying . . . hmm, here's a test link.

Is this really a FONT tag? Added by the user, I mean? I'd always assumed it was a forum setting, since my own links show up like everyone else's: dark blue when I haven't been there, lime green after I've visited the URL - and I'm using the white background ;)

I wonder if I can alter the color by trying . . . hmm, here's a test link.

much easier, i can read it! :)

much easier' date=' i can read it! :)[/quote']

Should look good on a dark background, too. That was done by making the URL and then selecting the link, changing the color (through the forum interface). I hoped it would have the effect of wrapping the color tags around the link tags. Now let's see what happens if I add the link after the color. Doesn't look good, so far :(

edit: No change after visiting the link (in a new window) and reloading the page (from the old window). On the bright side, this means we can visually assess whether or not the link will be purple (or whatever color we chose) before posting it; if we replace some colored text with a URL, we will immediately see the color go away.

Should look good on a dark background' date=' too. That was done by making the URL and then selecting the link, changing the color (through the forum interface). I hoped it would have the effect of wrapping the color tags around the link tags. Now let's see what happens if I add the link after the color. Doesn't look good, so far :(

edit: No change after visiting the link (in a new window) and reloading the page (from the old window). On the bright side, this means we can visually assess whether or not the link will be purple (or whatever color we chose) before posting it; if we replace some colored text with a URL, we will immediately see the color go away.

That's how the default links work on the forum posts. It's only different if you change it after putting it in.

• 2 months later...

Re: Assumptions within HERO

most characters would end up "buying" what they needed to make up their physical body.

What assumptions do you see?

The physical body has an existence linked to, but also distinct and separate from, the powers points are paid for. You don't need to buy your Extra Limbs as Independent to prevent them from fading away after death; they continue to exist just like your regular limbs would.

An example of Extra Limbs in 5ER is Prehensile Tail, and it includes Inherent, but not Independent.

One question here would be - if a power is no longer useful to anyone, does it still cost any points?

According to Base Characteristics on page 465 of 5ER, the SPD of a Base is always 3 (in effect; 5ER also insists that a Base does not have SPD in any other sense :rolleyes:).

Page 475 contains this phrase: "the GM must make allowances", indicating that even the GM must bow to common sense.

The very act of classifying SFX as "mutant powers" (instead of "magical" or "natural" SFX, for instance) is a seeking to find the why of powers.

I find that odd. Given that a base IS capable of taking actions, even if not linked to a computer, I'd have thought it fell under the same SPD regime as characters and vehicles.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks this rule is off-base.

I find that odd. Given that a base IS capable of taking actions, even if not linked to a computer, I'd have thought it fell under the same SPD regime as characters and vehicles.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks this rule is off-base.

The rules for bases and AIs are pretty wonky, really. Too much shoehorning of the base stats/human template and too little consideration of stripping SFX from mechanics.