Aikido?

lynnlefey

Re: Aikido?

Anyone care to give me an idea of what martial maneuvers would be found in practicioners of Aikido?

Happen to have the Ultimate Marital Artist? It's all in there.

Edit: Past that I hesitate to say. They put the whole book together to describe martial arts. If we give it away, there is little point in printing the book. At the same time, Akido is whatever you mean it to be. Read some wiki on it and pick some maneuvers. I doubt anyone would complain with whatever maneuvers you choose as long as they are appropriate to the style.

I'm going to assume you don't have the Ultimate Martial Artist, since it has a full writeup of the style. As such, using just the main boook and speaking in very broad terms:

Martial Grab to simulate various joint locks (mostly wrist and shoulder locks)

Martial Escape to simulate the many counter grab and reversal techniques.

Martial Throw and Footsweep to simulate the wide variety of takedowns

Martial Dodge and Martial Block to simulate the evasive aspects and blending with an opponents attack.

Martial Disarm for those that study the weapon defenses (mostly trained against knife and sword).

In general Aikido isn't much of a striking art, though some styles teach various hand techniques, a few kicks and basic swordsmanship. Most people that tech more agressive styles of Aikido have encorporated elements from Judo, Karate and/or Kendo.

I'm a former Aikidoka, so if you are looking for any specific flavor details I might be able to help out. Then again, there are lots of Aikido websites out there to reference...

Guest Cougar

I'm going to assume you don't have the Ultimate Martial Artist, since it has a full writeup of the style. As such, using just the main boook and speaking in very broad terms:

Martial Grab to simulate various joint locks (mostly wrist and shoulder locks)

Martial Escape to simulate the many counter grab and reversal techniques.

Martial Throw and Footsweep to simulate the wide variety of takedowns

Martial Dodge and Martial Block to simulate the evasive aspects and blending with an opponents attack.

Martial Disarm for those that study the weapon defenses (mostly trained against knife and sword).

In general Aikido isn't much of a striking art, though some styles teach various hand techniques, a few kicks and basic swordsmanship. Most people that tech more agressive styles of Aikido have encorporated elements from Judo, Karate and/or Kendo.

I'm a former Aikidoka, so if you are looking for any specific flavor details I might be able to help out. Then again, there are lots of Aikido websites out there to reference...

From another former Aikidoka (what style did you study?), that sounds about right to me. I'd add that taking the manuevers as usable with staff and sword is often appropriate.

Paul

Guest Cougar

I'm not familiar with Kokikai. I studied Yoshinkai and later Yoshokai. Kind of drifted out of martial arts after a relocation, but I'm hoping to get back into it at some point.

Paul

I really don't know much about Akido besides some reading. But I'd perhaps use Combat Luck to simulate the Akido master's extreme ability to avoid damage. Very high DEX and DCV to simulate even more damage avoidance. Probably lots of skill levels with martial arts. Maybe even Desolid dodging in extreme cases.

One of my PCs is a multiple black belt and just picked up Aikido; we had an extended conversation about it on Tuesday. Short version? Grabs, holds, disarms, submission manuevers, and the occassional strike. My memory tells me I was told once (and I'll merrily be corrected by the practitioners) that many of the 'arm grips' and the hand postures for the style are built to translate directly to armed combat (bokken). So you can build various levels of the style.

A big part of the aikido basis came from swordsmanship (kenjitsu). Training starts with escapes since grabbing a swordsman's arm keeps him from drawing the weapon. If in the process of escaping the grab you can damage your enemy, even better.

Another factor relies on what I think is caused an "autoneurilogical reaction". Essensially, if you've grabbed onto something and you start to fall you tend to clamp down on it. You can do throws with people who have grabbed you this way because they won't let go in time to prevent it, even without you grabbing them. With respect to the jo or bokken, if your opponent grabs your weapon you can actually do the same throw you would do to get your wrist free to get your weapon free. The weapon can also be used as a lever on joints, etc.

Been a while since I've practiced and i wasn't that good even then, but it was a lot of fun doing moves on someone half again my size and having them go down, or having some lady 2/3rds my weight doing stuff to me where I had no choice but to go down.

Fun stuff.

this reminds me:

does anyone have any ideas besides "+V/5" for the "using attackers strength against them" aspects of Judo, Aikido, etc...???

I was re-watching BtVS a while ago, and kept thinking that she could have REALLY messed Glory up with such techniques. :eg: But noooo they had to have her use a flashy "hard" style. :P

Well, depends on what you are trying to model...

On of my favorite little tricks is to buy lots of extra STR and limit it to "Only for Throws" and "Only to match opponents STR". So, when Grond tries to smash the akidoka, he counters and, using Gronds own strength against him, wings him around 30" for massive damage.

Missle Reflection could do the trick for ranged attacks. A properly limited Damage Shield can work very well to simulate a character doing yielding counter strikes.

this reminds me:

does anyone have any ideas besides "+V/5" for the "using attackers strength against them" aspects of Judo, Aikido, etc...???

I was re-watching BtVS a while ago, and kept thinking that she could have REALLY messed Glory up with such techniques. :eg: But noooo they had to have her use a flashy "hard" style. :P

I just use extra DCs with the Martial Maneuvers. Sure, it's not an exact conversion and you'll be doing the same damage against the wimps and the toughs who attack you, but hey, it's a game.