Gemini Ascendant Campaign

Nolgroth

Re: Gemini Ascendant Campaign

Hey I found out that the folders sent did not contain the files in them. I have resent everyone a new email with the files attached. Nol yours has everyones combined together. I also have some files on Pirates,ship designs, God co, Hoverbike clubs, religion, Sathar and government leaders. If you want any of these others let me know.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been doing some thinking... (yeah, now is the time for fear :) )

I'm really not satisfied with the web page format. This has made it hard for me to keep up with the chore of updates. Some specific issues are;

• The dark on dark makes it a little difficult on the eyes sometimes.
  • The overall layout seems somewhat cramped. I've been thinking on how to create a menu bar across the top of the page and two columns of information about.
  • And the hard part, changing everything so it is easier to edit and read, while still keeping it overall "SciFi-ish" in feel.

Any of y'all have any suggestions?

On a related note, I've been considering creating a blog to take the place of this message thread. Any thoughts on that?

And on a separate note, I've think I made a mistake in trying to incorporate the Gemini Ascendant setting with Terran Empire. My OCD is starting to get in the way, as I am thinking of all of the Gliese stars and wanting to make sure I get their classes correct and figuring out where in the frickin' galaxy the Frontier is. Pretty stupid, but there it is.

I've come up with a method to separate the two again in a way that is consistent with the campaign. I just need to know your thoughts and opinions.

It would actually be pretty easy to seperate them.

Just don't look at the star maps in Terran Empire. They could just be another government centered around another group of stars somewhere.

An invading fleet so to speak kind of thing. Great Space Opera fodder there.

Of course, that leaves the idea of possibly retroing some parts - like maybe us trying to set up as privateers with the UPF to battle the invaders.

It's a thought.

(oh, webpage - gimme a week to come up with some sample pages, I've got an idea that's pretty easy on the upkeep.)

The idea I had to separate them was that the Hyperspace to Void transition point is actually some sort of in Hyperspace wormhole or something that does lead from Earth space to another galaxy cluster. To actually separate, the wormhole collapses. There are some things to consider, but mostly it would work as a "quick 'n' dirty" method.

The idea I had to separate them was that the Hyperspace to Void transition point is actually some sort of in Hyperspace wormhole or something that does lead from Earth space to another galaxy cluster. To actually separate' date=' the wormhole collapses. There are some things to consider, but mostly it would work as a "quick 'n' dirty" method.[/quote']

A few things on the board. If you remove the Varanyi Empire and Velarian Confederation from the TE map you have half a galaxy to muck with. You can even removed or reduce the Conjoinded Civilizations Rebpublic.

Void/Hyperspace can be the same thing, there's just something different about it on our side of the galaxy. But to get across that massive chasm of space there is a wormhole, that collapses. You can keep the TE as is, but WAY over there. Sort of non-issues them unless someone latches onto the idea of trying to find another wormhole, or such.

Or- simply ditch the TE as the TE completely. Make them another smaller group of alien territories that the UPF wars with occasionally. Similar to the warring kingdoms in the Honor Harrington series.

I like the website, but I am sure I will like whatever you come up with... I'm easy that way.

A blog would be cool for announcements/newscasts... but I like these boards and would prefer to keep this thread alive as it not only gives us a venue but allows our fellow heroes to read about our antics.

So to avoid going back to a pure SF game setting... NEVER enter voidspace again :D

:rofl: I have this image of us trying to avoid going into voidspace and being chased around by this huge energy ribbon... :nya:

Seriousy, I am sure I will enjoy whatever direction you want to take the game... :cheers:

Now don't you have a game to prep for tomorrow... back to work :whip:

A few things on the board. If you remove the Varanyi Empire and Velarian Confederation from the TE map you have half a galaxy to muck with. You can even removed or reduce the Conjoinded Civilizations Rebpublic.
I actually like the Terran Empire. The problem is not at all with the source material. It is more me. I don't know why, but I get obsessed with making sure that anything in the "real world" is correct. That's one of the reasons I chose the Star Frontiers setting to begin with. Entirely fictional. Can't get it "wrong." Like I said before, stupid.

Void/Hyperspace can be the same thing, there's just something different about it on our side of the galaxy. But to get across that massive chasm of space there is a wormhole, that collapses. You can keep the TE as is, but WAY over there. Sort of non-issues them unless someone latches onto the idea of trying to find another wormhole, or such.
That's the idea from above. Void/Hyperspace have always been one place. The Void, as many of you have already guessed, is somehow "tainted" Hyperspace. I think I will go with the Hyperspacial Wormhole. That way I can stick with the TE as a possible extension to what we are doing. :)

Or- simply ditch the TE as the TE completely. Make them another smaller group of alien territories that the UPF wars with occasionally. Similar to the warring kingdoms in the Honor Harrington series.
There are some very cool things about the TE that I would like to carry over. Malvans and Mandarians to name two. Plus, I'm a sucker for Xenovores. Nothing says that I couldn't handwave them into the current setting. Hurm. Perplexing. I still think that the TE needs to stay as is....

OMG! I just had a very devious thought. Thanks for the conversation guys. My mind is made up now. :eg:

I like the website' date=' but I am sure I will like whatever you come up with... I'm easy that way.[/quote']I kind of like the look of it, but it is a pain in the fourth point of contact to keep updated. Could also be my own problem with organization and energy. :)

A blog would be cool for announcements/newscasts... but I like these boards and would prefer to keep this thread alive as it not only gives us a venue but allows our fellow heroes to read about our antics.
I would either switch over completely or not at all. Except that you could only comment on things that I already posted. Leave it here then. Now I may use the blog idea for the infocasts. Been such a long time since I played with that concept.

So to avoid going back to a pure SF game setting... NEVER enter voidspace again :D

:rofl: I have this image of us trying to avoid going into voidspace and being chased around by this huge energy ribbon... :nya:

Naw. You'd never get very far without Voidspace. :)

Seriousy, I am sure I will enjoy whatever direction you want to take the game... :cheers:
I seriously enjoy running the game. I just got off on a tangent with my stupid OCD. :o

Now don't you have a game to prep for tomorrow... back to work :whip:
Prep? What is this word you speak? Besides who needs prep when you fly by the seat of your pants. I am to GM as Wade is to Character. :D

I kind of like the look of it' date=' but it is a pain in the fourth point of contact to keep updated. Could also be my own problem with organization and energy. :)[/quote']

I think I can fix the keeping it updated part, but it does require PHP. If your host has that set up (and in this day and age they should) then I think I can solve some upkeep issues.

I think I can fix the keeping it updated part' date=' but it does require PHP. If your host has that set up (and in this day and age they should) then I think I can solve some upkeep issues.[/quote']I dunno, does Comcast have PHP? Let me check on that.

EDIT: No. Their forums explicitly state that there are no server side scripting engines supported, other than some pre-made counters and such.

EDIT 2: Checked Freewebs. No PHP there either.

Hmm... I can give you some space on my GoDaddy space, I have one linux account, and one Windows account. The linux account is setup for PHP while the Windows account is setup for ASP. I have the most space on the windows account (that is where I have the Corsairs Lair setup). In addition we can offer free e-mail accounts to everyone in the game. The URL would be something along the lines of http://www.gemini.corsairslair.com . Unless one of you knows how to forward the URL and mask the sub URL.

Hmm... I can give you some space on my GoDaddy space' date=' I have one linux account, and one Windows account. The linux account is setup for PHP while the Windows account is setup for ASP. I have the most space on the windows account (that is where I have the Corsairs Lair setup). In addition we can offer free e-mail accounts to everyone in the game. The URL would be something along the lines of http://www.gemini.corsairslair.com . Unless one of you knows how to forward the URL and mask the sub URL.[/quote']It's an option. I was just looking at free servers like Awardspace.com. From the few seconds I looked at a review page, it seems to have a good rep.

EDIT: But they do have some pretty hefty restrictions on file types and what PHP code is used, so I don't know if that would work for ghost-angel's idea.

No offense 'wolf, but I just signed up for a my-space account. I figured it's no worse than Comcast and the user agreement was nowhere near as restrictive as the first couple that I looked at.

The current web page is loaded there. Now all I have to do is figure out what, if anything, I want to change with it.

No offense taken... I actually prefer to have my own space also, rather than use someone elses. When ever you do that, you risk losing things suddenly if something should happen to the owner suddenly. I look forward to the changing campaign.

Since it appears that we are headed towards a semi-quasi-star frontiers setting I have a question/suggestion. Is the current ship and equipment writeups good (I hope) or do we need to convert back to SF? The suggestion part... stick with what we have and at the least use the TE/STK/AW hardware, as they are pre-written and will save us bunches of time creating Hero write-ups of SF stuff.