Autofire Find Weakness

Dust Raven

Re: Autofire Find Weakness

OH, there is one other limiting factor to Find Weakness: It only haves one kind of defense at a time ("normal" vs "resistant"). Armor Piercing havles all of it in one go.

Though it is easy to buy Find Weakness to affect several, or all, attacks the character has, doing so with a Naked Advantage Armor Piercing means buying it once for each attack it can be used with.

Sean makes a good point, in line with my points (IMO :)). Not to derail the thread, this subject is the flip side of the character buying both high defenses and Damage Reduction.

Oh! I know! I want to take Autofire on my Damage Reduction to reduce the attack, percentage-wise, multiple times (I.e., a 50% DR that "hits" three times would reduce the attack to 12.5% of it's original, after defenses, value)! :lol:

I didn't really want to start a discussion about whether or not Find Weakness is a good idea. At the moment, I don't really care. This is just theoretical. No doubt it's abusive even without Autofire though, and moreso with.

I can think of some situations I'd allow it though. For example, in a psychic wars type campaign I'd allow it with Mental Powers, but only if it costs END.

OK, ask this question then: what is autofire FW the mechanic describing in game terms, and is it the only way you can do it?

At present we seem to be starting with the mechanic. Personally, even if I don't like it much, if it fits a reasonable character ability description I might well let it through, albeit on probation.

OK, ask this question then: what is autofire FW the mechanic describing in game terms, and is it the only way you can do it?

At present we seem to be starting with the mechanic. Personally, even if I don't like it much, if it fits a reasonable character ability description I might well let it through, albeit on probation.

Using my example above for a psychic wars campaign, the mechanic would fit the SFX of "Shield Shredder" and similar maneuvers a psychic can use to overrun a target's mental shields. This wouldn't reduce the target's defenses versus other attackers, and it definately reduced defenses by more than half (the idea is to strip them completely). Find Weakness coveres this perfectlly. The idea of applying Autofire is to make the pricess quicker and more efficient, and more exhausting, for the attacker.

Using my example above for a psychic wars campaign' date=' the mechanic would fit the SFX of "Shield Shredder" and similar maneuvers a psychic can use to overrun a target's mental shields. This wouldn't reduce the target's defenses versus other attackers, and it definately reduced defenses by more than half (the idea is to strip them completely). Find Weakness coveres this perfectlly. The idea of applying Autofire is to make the pricess quicker and more efficient, and more exhausting, for the attacker.[/quote']

I shouldn't nit pick, really, but I would consider 'shield shredder' to be a mechanic description rather than an sfx that the mechanic describes.

Even so, if you want a shield shredder, you know, pretty much, that the 'shield' in question is going to be mental defence. This can be targetted with a drain or even a supress, which you can make RSR on an opposed roll if you like, which would do pretty much the same. Pretty much. I mean it would actually be shredding the shield rather than finding a way through it for you alone.

If you want a way through for you alone, buy the attack as NND, or AP: much cleaner and less problematic. Then again, as I've said, I don't lke FW, so that would be my approach, wouldn't it? :)

If you want a way through for you alone, buy the attack as NND, or AP: much cleaner and less problematic. Then again, as I've said, I don't lke FW, so that would be my approach, wouldn't it? :)

True. :) NND is definately an option, but I can't easily built a mechanic that does what I want. Find Weakness does it exactly the way I want. Then again, this is just a silly theoretical example.

True. :) NND is definately an option' date=' but I can't easily built a mechanic that does what I want. Find Weakness does it exactly the way I want. Then again, this is just a silly theoretical example.[/quote']

Another approach that might help simplify the record keeping and still keep the desired effect of making the defense reduction only usable by the 1 attacker would be to just buy extra dice of the particular Mental Power with the limitations: Only to reduce Mental Defenses & RSR.

This approach does change things drasticly for Elemental Control based Mental powers but Multipowers and VPP's would just need to increase the pool size to accomodate the ability.

Another approach that might help simplify the record keeping and still keep the desired effect of making the defense reduction only usable by the 1 attacker would be to just buy extra dice of the particular Mental Power with the limitations: Only to reduce Mental Defenses & RSR.

This approach does change things drasticly for Elemental Control based Mental powers but Multipowers and VPP's would just need to increase the pool size to accomodate the ability.

Yeah, and that's part of what's bugging me. There's potential of this applying to a player character, and the character in question has an EC. I suppose I could have her buy a Naked NND (vs Lack of Weakness) for her Ego Attack or whatever, with RSR and Extra Time Limitations. It wouldn't be at all like Find Weakness, but it gets the same job done.

Just a pet peeve question' date=' but how does everybody else tell the difference between Find Weakness and Force Wall when people appreviate them both as FW?[/quote']

Context, its all by context (and the thread title). What else could the phrase "AF on FW" mean? Autofire Forcewall?!?

Autofire Find Weakness!? Sorry, in my game it just wouldn't exist. Period.

Even if it did, the only possible result would be to cut the defenses in half. The only possible application for AF/FWk (how's THAT for an abbreviation? Pronounce it carefully!) would be to affect multiple targets.

For a "shield shredder" I would suggest a Drain, especially if it reduces the targets' defense against all attacks of that kind. Even then, I'd keep a hard eye on it in design and in play - Draining defenses is way too cheap to trust as a build.

Personally I like the idea of AF Force Wall. Just think of that silly thing. A 5/5 FW with AF 5. Roll to hit the area (DCV3) and you get 5 shells. So anybody has to get through 25 body to even do any stun.

Ok, so I just went to ludicrous speed....

:drink:

Yeah, but a 1 pip RKA + Penetrating will still go though all of it! :ugly:

And for regular atacks, every 5 Body rolled will take down one of the shells. Which makes it kinda like Ablative... Hmmm.