Changing to Heroic identity

SirWilliam

Re: Changing to Heroic identity

As with so many things in HERO, it depends on how you envision the effect working. :)

If the hero can change from schmoe to demigod instantly and with no effort, whenever he wants, then there's probably no need to account for it mechanically. It's equivalent to another hero changing into or out of costume.

If the change poses some difficulties for the character, such that the change could be prevented - takes some time to fully change, has to speak a magic word, needs an artifact that can be stolen, etc. - then it would be reasonable for the character to purchase the abilities he gains as a super with the "Only In Hero ID" Limitation.

OTOH if the normal and heroic form of your character are different in more than just appearance and abilities, i.e. have different personalities, Psychological Limitations, Vulnerabilities and the like, then you'd perhaps be better off buying one of them as a Multiform. You can put Limitations on the Multiform to represent any difficulties in changing that you may envision for your character.

I hope that helps. If anything isn't clear feel free to post followup questions. :)

Thanks for the reply.

All of his powers are "Only in Hero form -1/4", and my understanding is that this limitation means that he can't change instantly. (Sorry I didn't specify that, I'm running on about 3-4 hours sleep)

What my vision of the special effect is he summons the power of his patron. No Focii used, or anything like that, just a mental call, and I assume the change would take something like a half or a full phase. He has a secret ID so he can't just go changing willy-nilly.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply.

All of his powers are "Only in Hero form -1/4", and my understanding is that this limitation means that he can't change instantly. (Sorry I didn't specify that, I'm running on about 3-4 hours sleep)

What my vision of the special effect is he summons the power of his patron. No Focii used, or anything like that, just a mental call, and I assume the change would take something like a half or a full phase. He has a secret ID so he can't just go changing willy-nilly.

Thanks!

Officially, by the rules, he can still change instantly.

As a limitation that isn't limiting is worth no points, I require OIHID characters to define a condition that will prevent the change, and I require the change to be a Full Phase action. This is a house rule, but I strongly recommend it.

If your SFX is that he Summons the Power of his Patron, the "No Change" conditions might include causing his Patron to turn away from him (used to happen to Thor every third or fourth story arc), dropping him in an extradimensional space, or doping him up while he's in Normal ID to prevent him from concentrating enough to send out the call (happens to Bruce Banner now and then, as he's to doped up to get angry).

In our games' date=' anytime someone buys OIHID, we make them buy the basic Instant Change power.[/quote']

I can see the logic behind that, but I think it would work just as well for a character who's change was not instant, but was noticable enough that there could be no disguising that it was in fact Thunder-Man! booming about. It is most useful coupled with a secret ID, a reputation, etc. IMHO. The instant change power is great for Wonderwoman and Superman, but Bruce has to stop and change into Batman. Bad example - Bats is all focus heavy. Ummmmm .... Hulk? Nope. Human Torch? no. Thor? Uh-uh. Ummm Shazam?

Ha! Spiderman! Those webshooters are strictly available only in uniform. I think.

I can see the logic behind that, but I think it would work just as well for a character who's change was not instant, but was noticable enough that there could be no disguising that it was in fact Thunder-Man! booming about. It is most useful coupled with a secret ID, a reputation, etc. IMHO. The instant change power is great for Wonderwoman and Superman, but Bruce has to stop and change into Batman. Bad example - Bats is all focus heavy. Ummmmm .... Hulk? Nope. Human Torch? no. Thor? Uh-uh. Ummm Shazam?

Ha! Spiderman! Those webshooters are strictly available only in uniform. I think.

Ironman might be a good example too.

In general, we don't let someone take OIHID and Focus. We saw a real abuse of OIHID, so we worked to make it a real limitatiion.

Drain v. Instant Change!

Stuck as a Demon, are you? ;)

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks!

When you think about it, no character with a Secret ID can change willy-nilly. A character with a costumed identity would need to find someplace out of sight to change into costume, which BTW requires at least one full Phase; and the character gets no cost break for that.

However, the definition of OIHID in the rulebook requires, as a minimum, one full Phase for the change to take place, and since you have that covered - and I presume the normal form is as vulnerable as any person on the street - it's probably sufficient to justify the Lim. Other difficulties or means to stop the change can be included or exchanged for that extra time, but aren't mandatory.

The only example I can think of an item that could justifiably take both Only in Hero ID AND Focus would be the Impressive Super Hero Cape. In the context of a comic book world, capes look cool, and can add to a hero's impressivness. However, it only works in when the hero's in costume. Batman in Batman's cape can look impressive. Bruce Wayne in Batman's cape looks like a dark haired guy in an armani suit and a really really big bedsheet.

+5 PRE, no defensive applications (-1), only for certain types of interaction (-1/2) [e.g. no good with Seduction or Conversation], OIF - Cape (-1/2), Only in Hero ID(-1/4)

Truth be told, it makes no real difference in the cost though.

Bonedaddy:

Actually, I can think of a handful of times when Spider-Man has used his webshooters as just plain old Peter Parker, though he usually avoids doing so for secret ID purposes. In all cases, he did it surreptitiously (eg. a thin webline in a darkened room when no one else could see properly, causing a fleeing gunman to trip). Also, it usually takes him a second to flip the triger mechanism into place (normally folded back inside his sleeves, but with the whole webshooter often worn to facilitate quick costume changes). So, IMHO, the webshooters would not be OIHID, just casual use of them as Peter Parker would conflict with his Soc Lim: Secret ID.

Of course, now that he's got organic webshooters and no secret ID, I suspect all bets are off...