Fourth Versus Fith DC?

zornwil

Hi, I'm sure it's around but I didn't see it and it's hard to search on words like this (to me, anyway) - would anyone familiar please elaborate on the differences between 4th and 5th Dark Champions? I'm not interested in better/worse, just the primary differences and in particular reasons that one might still pick up 4th edition Dark Champions. Apologies for covering ground I'm sure has been covered before.

Re: Fourth Versus Fith DC?

I read through that, thanks. I have a followup and figured instead of necroing that thread I'd ask it here - is there anything in the 4th ed. version NOT in 5th? The implication of that thread is that everything (at least very nearly) in 4th is repeated/updated in 5th - is that true?

I read through that' date=' thanks. I have a followup and figured instead of necroing that thread I'd ask it here - is there anything in the 4th ed. version NOT in 5th? The implication of that thread is that everything (at least very nearly) in 4th is repeated/updated in 5th - is that true?[/quote']

No, it's not.

I took the simple expedient of pulling out the two books and comparing them. DC4E was much more aimed at running a street level supers campaign where DC5E is, as people have said, a sourcebook for modern action adventure.

DC4E has more villains and NPCs; the 4E version of both Harbinger and the Card Shark are in DC4E where they're in Hudson City: the Urban Abyss in 5E. DC4E also has the Harpcor Towers which is a 20-story skyscraper with scenarios.

In many ways DC4E is more aimed at assisting the GM in running the game rather than as a sourcebook for information to build the game. It has more characters and scenarios and plot hooks, but goes into much less detail about character options, limitations, weapons and the other staples of the genre.

They changed both the focus of the book and the subject matter when updating to 5E.

While 4th ed. DC was more "gritty superheroes"¹, don't forget Justice, Not Law and An Eye for an Eye, a pair of sourcebooks for 4th ed. DC. They were definitely oriented more towards vigilantes and high-end normals than Street Supers². JNL, for instance, laid out the basics of Hudson City for the first time.

¹And why don't they wash up, get that grit off, huh? Isn't it uncomfortable?

²Not to be confused with "street sweepers," a term for firearms that can pretty much clear out a sizable area.

I've taken both 4th & 5th versions of Hudson City and morphed it together. 5th gave more detail for locations, but 4th had so many teasers to fill out and locate where you wanted. I thought Justice:Not Law was the best Champions sourcebook to be put out for 4th. It had a city with lots of NPCs, Villians and locations, and a history you could play with.