A Thought Experiment: The Buffest Heroes vs Dr Destroyer

Metaphysician

Re: A Thought Experiment: The Buffest Heroes vs Dr Destroyer

The problem is that your assessment of the other stats is not correct for anyone who views things the way that the system was created by the framers' date=' and Steven S. Long, while he's a great line developer, is not one of the framers.[/quote']I don't think that's my problem. I view the rules and stats as they are written for 5th Ed.

The truth is that all the stats in Champions function on an exponential scale no matter how much you try to have them not do so' date=' because doing so breaks every skill roll in the game, and rewards people for taking a skill roll on their powers.[/quote']I don't believe you can show me where in FREd, 5ER or any 5th Ed product that holds true. Stating that the "truth" (which seems to truly be your opinion) is for 5E because it may have been for 1E is like saying you have to play D&D 3.5 the same way 2E AD&D or even Basic D&D was. That's nonsense.

So' date=' I have to agree here that under YOUR interpetation, Kirby, that IS the way it works, even though you CAN spread and MPA at the same time, and pretty much make the combat take an entire phase.[/quote']The MPA and Spreading was your description of what you'd have DD do, so I don't know why you're stating that's my interpretation, as well as what the point to "make combat take an entire phase" is supposed to mean, unless you de facto rule that once DD speaks, combat is over. :rolleyes:

And as to the soliloquy issue' date=' you don't only get to soliloquy on your action, you can soliloquy on the top of your turn no matter what, because it's FREE. You don't just get to do it on your DEX.[/quote']So, what's your point? YOUR description of YOUR encounter was that DD committed a violent MPA action before giving his soliloquy. You can't add dice for a violent action if none occurred. You included that part, so it has to go to his Dex. With his DEX at a 30, he has to roll off with Firewing.

But I prefer to believe that Steve Peterson and George MacDonald were a little smarter than many of the people in this discussion are giving them credit for being' date=' and that Destroyer's brilliance was actually a function of his partial insanity, and being willing to take risks that most people wouldn't consider safe or sane.[/quote']Which I believe has nothing to do with this thread, really.

Anyway, since I can't stand the way you change or omit rules, punish the PCs and players, assume your opinions are the only ones worth posting, and that -in your own words- allow a high level of cheese for DD because he's a Master Villain, I'm putting you on Ignore. Our discussion has ended.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another option for fighting Doctor Destroyer: Grab him. You need someone with at least 80 Str ( or equivalent from MA ), preferably better. But, if you can, and can manage to put him into a two limb Grab, you can render half his firepower mostly useless ( I'm thinking grabbing both arms and holding them up and out into the air, like a Y ).

The nastiest trick I've ever seen in combat, at least it felt that way to me:

Brick with total CVK, and a martial art based entirely on passive, non-lethal moves, grabbed the bad guy to restrain him.

But it was a martial art with predefined moves.

In this case, the grab placed the villain's hands under the villain's own chin, and the brick behind the villain.

And the brick's mentalist ally prompted the villain with mind control "You really want to blast that goodie-two-shoes who's holding you captive."

It hit three of the villain's psych lims and two of his berserks, and so the villain pushed his own wrist-mounted RKA.

Right through his own hands.

And his own head.

Into the Brick's chest.

Where the team's energy projector had put up Missile Reflection on adjacent ally.

Back through the villain's head.

What the news camera saw: Rescuer steps behind villain, and pops villain's head off.