Recover on demend END reserve

Icel

I was thinking on a mage/warlock character which use Fel energies that orient from some demonic plane.

But because of that he can't keep the energy in his body/control all the time. He only drow from the power when he need it.

I thought I'll do this with a END Reserve that only recover at the will of the character and its fades away if not used, i.e. "released".

How would you build that?

Re: Recover on demend END reserve

My Trinity Priest package uses something similar as does the Sorcerer package in the Valdorian Age:

Well of Faith: Endurance Reserve (75 END, 25 REC) Reserve: (32 Active Points); Only When Serving The God's Purposes (-1/2); REC: (25 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, Character May Take No Other Actions, -3 1/4), Incantations (Requires Incantations throughout; -1/2), Only When Serving The God's Purposes (-1/2)

I was thinking on a mage/warlock character which use Fel energies that orient from some demonic plane.

But because of that he can't keep the energy in his body/control all the time. He only drow from the power when he need it.

I thought I'll do this with a END Reserve that only recover at the will of the character and its fades away if not used, i.e. "released".

So, he "builds up" the energy in his body by an act of conscious will, and it recedes to the demonic plane when he's not attentive to keeping it there?

You could actually do a literal Fade that way, having an Aid that is zero Endurance to use, it only replenishes the END Reserve, and it constantly (frequently, and at a high rate) wears off, forcing you to frequently replenish it if you want to maintain some level of energy. If you went for a few seconds without doing so, it would be completely gone in that time.

Another way might be a Side Effect (but I haven't read up through Side Effects yet, so I don't know if one can be built to occur after not using any powers for a short time).

One can't aid a power that the target doesnt have, so no, you cant buy a 0END reserve and aid it up, AFAIK.

What I'd do is buy an END Reserve large enough to represent the most demon energy that the caster could hold at once, then place a custom limitation on it such that it loses (Some Amount) of END per (Some Time Period) if the caster quits consciously maintaining it. The size of the custom limitation would depend on just how fast it fades away, and just how much conscious effort (Concentration limitation level? Less? would just being awake work?) is actually required to maintain it.

Then buy a recovery for the END reserve that requires Concentration, in order to fill it 'at will'.

Hm....I think you need to spend at least 1 pt to even have an END Reserve, but I don't think there's a rule that you HAVE to claim the entire 10 pts of END that entitles you to. In any case, if you buy no REC for it, it would never recover "naturally" if you expend those beginning points.

Then you buy Aid, with whatever fade rate fits the concept, Cumulative up to whatever you want the max available to be, and with limitations like Concentrate.

Lucius Alexander

I tell the palindromedary to make a note, and get B flat....

Can you buy negative REC on an END Reserve? Would you be willing to house rule it? Say, something like a 50 END, -1 REC END Reserve (thus, it loses 1 END per Turn), with an additional 50 REC limited however you like. So, in certain defined circumstances, the mage can perform a ritual (represented by the Limitations on the REC -- Gestures, Incantations, Extra Time, etc.) that fills his END reserve fully. Once it's filled, it fades at the rate of 1 END per turn. Ummm... might want to make the REC Instant and Lingering, make it stick around for a full Turn so's you get the benefit.

The act of maintining the end doesn't need to be this restrictive. Just wanting to is okay. So no concentration, gestures or other stuff.

I think there was an end reserve in Ninja HERO that was filled with absorbation, but I don't remember how they built the reserve...

Robyn, thats just what I had in mind.

So I buy an END Reserve with 0 end and 0 rec and use AID to fill it up?

Um, no . . . :confused: still on 4th Edition rules here a bit, hold on.

The power I wanted was Heal (except, in 4th Edition, they weren't separated; you would take an appropriate Limitation on your Aid to prevent you from raising characteristics above their starting levels). 5ER cautions against allowing Heal to function on END Reserves (page 159), but you may be able to get GM permission considering this would be the only way to recover energy.

But the effect of Heal is permanent, so maybe it was Aid I wanted after all . . . so confused!

Can you buy negative REC on an END Reserve? Would you be willing to house rule it? Say' date=' something like a 50 END, -1 REC END Reserve (thus, it loses 1 END per Turn), with an additional 50 REC limited however you like. So, in certain defined circumstances, the mage can perform a ritual (represented by the Limitations on the REC -- Gestures, Incantations, Extra Time, etc.) that fills his END reserve fully. Once it's filled, it fades at the rate of 1 END per turn. Ummm... might want to make the REC Instant and Lingering, make it stick around for a full Turn so's you get the benefit.[/quote']

Repped! I like this idea very much :cool:

Then you buy Aid' date=' with whatever fade rate fits the concept, Cumulative up to whatever you want the max available to be, and with limitations like Concentrate.[/quote']

I was thinking of an END Reserve with a defined maximum, because (along with the "cannot boost characteristics above their starting maximum" Limitation on his Aid) this looks less complicated.

then place a custom limitation on it such that it loses (Some Amount) of END per (Some Time Period) if the caster quits consciously maintaining it.

Customized limitations are good for granularity, but I think the system already has one that fits pretty well: Fade Rate, on the Aid power.

The act of maintining the end doesn't need to be this restrictive. Just wanting to is okay. So no concentration' date=' gestures or other stuff.[/quote']

This is why I put the "zero Endurance" part on Aid . . . and also because, without a reduced cost, there would be an entropy effect where the act of using Aid would expend at least as much END as you gained, and possibly more :nonp:

Robyn, You'r idea was alright, I was talking about people who sugested to use consentration and other limitetions each weren't what I had in mind.

This "warlock" doesn't hold to the energy he commends because it is foul had has a corroption effect if cept for long- but this doesn't need to be included as I build the character with this limit in mind- that why his reserve is fadeing- he "release" it.

I think you're on track, but a little off the mark. First, if you want to do this as an END reserve, that's fine, but then you aren't Healing, you would be Aiding END, only to the Reserve, at X Fade Rate. Other ways to do this are to build a Stat (see Fantasy HERO for options on how to do this, but the obvious one is to build a new Derived stat called MANA). Now. Once you have your MANA established, you can now AID or DRAIN it as necessary.

Healing exists, Robyn is correct, but it's more specific to BODY/STUN damage now (only to starting values and all that sort of thing). Once something is HEALED it's back up to full value, which isn't what you want. You want your 'battery' (MANA) to be boosted when you put effort into it (AID). Now here's the problem.

You can only be Aided (or healed, or drained) up to the number of points that you have in the power. So if you have 4d6 of AID, the most AID you can receive to the stat in question is 24 points - which, against adjusted Real Costs of powers, is probably enough to crack off three or four spells before needing to Aid Up again.

The Flaw: you'll have trouble remaining combat effective using this mechanic, especially if the Aid has a high Fade Rate - you won't have immediate combat potential. This can work, but it's better for non-combat casting, rather than trying to juggle the total available power, plus the reduction from the use of powers, plus the fade rate. Ew. More book keeping than I would usually endorse.

The Flaw: you'll have trouble remaining combat effective using this mechanic' date=' especially if the Aid has a high Fade Rate - you won't have immediate combat potential. This can work, but it's better for non-combat casting, rather than trying to juggle the total available power, plus the reduction from the use of powers, plus the fade rate. Ew. More book keeping than I would usually endorse.[/quote']

Thats okay, since one of the things I like to do is to keep an "anime" pre-battle boosting.

So, I go with AID- but how to build the END reserve? He is soppoed be empty at the start of the game and only recover when aided.

The Flaw: you'll have trouble remaining combat effective using this mechanic' date=' especially if the Aid has a high Fade Rate - you won't have immediate combat potential. This can work, but it's better for non-combat casting, rather than trying to juggle the total available power, plus the reduction from the use of powers, plus the fade rate. Ew. More book keeping than I would usually endorse.[/quote']

Isn't there a Limitation for one of the other powers that lets you double the amount of points of effect that return at once? I can't find it, but I remember that it could be used to balance out the value of a "delayed return rate" Advantage.

So' date=' I go with AID- but how to build the END reserve? He is soppoed be empty at the start of the game and only recover when aided.[/quote']

Base cost of 1 point for every 10 Endurance in the reserve. There is no "base cost" for REC, and you won't be buying even 1 point of that, so after Limitations you'll have your final cost. I would handwave the "starting out empty" part ;)

I was thinking of an END Reserve with a defined maximum, because (along with the "cannot boost characteristics above their starting maximum" Limitation on his Aid) this looks less complicated.

That's funny. To me the solution I proposed looked less complicated.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary argues both ways, as usual.

That's funny. To me the solution I proposed looked less complicated.

Well, more elegant (mechanics explicitly fitting concept), yes. And I do generally prefer that ;)

By the number of Modifiers applied, though, it still seemed more complicated :P

Thats okay, since one of the things I like to do is to keep an "anime" pre-battle boosting.

So, I go with AID- but how to build the END reserve? He is soppoed be empty at the start of the game and only recover when aided.

Build it with however much END you want, and no REC. That does mean that it starts with however much END you bought, but you could always just say that it starts at 0. I'm not sure I'd give any kind of Limitation for starting empty, because being empty is a temporary condition and a Limitation is permanent.

Isn't there a Limitation for one of the other powers that lets you double the amount of points of effect that return at once? I can't find it' date=' but I remember that it could be used to balance out the value of a "delayed return rate" Advantage.[/quote']

That's one of my house rules (a -1/4 Limitation for an Adjustment Power). I don't know that I've ever seen it anywhere else.

Build it with however much END you want' date=' and no REC. That does mean that it starts with however much END you bought, but you could always just say that it starts at 0. I'm not sure I'd give any kind of Limitation for starting empty, because being empty is a temporary condition and a Limitation is permanent.[/quote']

I can't wrote "Empty at the beggining of the game (-0)".

But I got the picture.

That's one of my house rules (a -1/4 Limitation for an Adjustment Power). I don't know that I've ever seen it anywhere else.

I looked in Adjustment powers, couldn't find anything. But it was in 5ER when I was reading through, I'm sure of that. It must have been in one of the non-Adjustment powers, though?

I looked in Adjustment powers' date=' couldn't find anything. But it was in 5ER when I was reading through, I'm sure of that. It must have been in one of the non-Adjustment powers, though?[/quote']

As far as I know it has not appeared anywhere except here, not in any published work.

No' date=' I'm in agreement with Robyn here - a thing somewhere that makes the doubling of the stuff. Were my book not ruined from water logging, I'd look it up. :mad:[/quote']

I looked at the text for each individual Adjustment power, and still couldn't find anything. I also did a quick sanity check on each other power as I came across its entry in the book, to make sure such a Modifier wouldn't be appropriate.

I think I'll check 4th Edition later tonight, just to save me the time of looking through all of 5ER again (exactly what memorizing it was supposed to prevent :mad:). It has roughly the same formatting, anyway :confused: