Firewing vs. Gravitar?

Omegaplex

I've been having an internal debate here. Was hoping some players would offer their thoughts on this match-up. I'm trying to pit these two 'theme' villains against one another in a campaign, and when they inevitably confront each other, which has more power? How would this play out given all things being equal?

Re: Firewing vs. Gravitar?

Firewing only really needs one lucky hit to pull out a win here, but Gravitar has KS: Superhuman World so she might have an information edge and adjust her tactics a bit.

Gravitars main chance here is if she can immobilize Firewing with her various TK grabs or her Flight UAA. Once he's locked down, she can KO him in 3 phases with a 100 STR TK Sqeeze or 4 phases with her big Energy Blast. However, her Missile Reflecton is useless on Firewing, as is her big NND attack.

Gravitar has superiror defenses, so she can whitle Firewing down over time with big attacks and/or her killing NND. But I think the longer the fight goes the more likely Firewing will stop throwing normal attacks and resort to his NND.

To Firewings credit, he has higher overall CV's, higher SPD, higher DEX and has Armor Piercing attacks. Gravitar can't throw any attacks that will Stun him through his defenses. Firewing, however, can Stun Gravitar on an average roll with his NND attack. And none of her resistant defenses are Persistant...

So in many way's it's all a matter of who finds the right tactic first.

Gravitar has one particularly big advantage in this fight, her Gravity Alteration power. An Area Of Effect Telekinesis, Only to hold up or pin down. It's stronger than Firewing's own Strength and costs Gravitar no Endurance to use, so once she snags him with it she can pin him helplessly to the ground, where he'll be an easy target for her main 100 STR TK attack. Three Phases of crushing with that and Firewing is out.

Firewing only really needs one lucky hit to pull out a win here, but Gravitar has KS: Superhuman World so she might have an information edge and adjust her tactics a bit.

Considering the size of Gravitar's Defenses, CON and STUN, a good roll with Firewing's most powerful Flame Bolt attack could Stun Gravitar unless she's thrown up her Force Wall. If he knows about her before their fight, his best tactic would be to lead with his "Withering Heat" NND which she has no Defense against and would be very likely to Stun her with one shot. Once that happens her Force Field drops, and with his Speed advantage Firewing would probably get in the next shot and drop her.

So I agree with you in that whoever gets in the first successful attack likely wins. If these two are using their standard tactics and Power choices, without advance knowledge of their enemies, I'd say that Gravitar has a better chance of doing that.

Assuming a neutral scenario, I give it to Firewing in most cases. In terms of attacks versus defenses (I've traditionally had him open with that NND as a softening tactic, even in the last edition...), and DEX/SPD, he has the clear edge. The key things Gravitar needs are either surprise, or an environment/situation that gives her an upper hand (or impedes Firewing in some way). She seems to rely more on her powers than tactical ingenuity, and to confront Firewing without getting a can of whupass opened on her she she needs a bigger inclination to nogginize. :eek: