A way to late idea for Ultimate Mentalist

JmOz

Re: A way to late idea for Ultimate Mentalist

A disad: Mentalist Code' date=' basicaly I will not read minds uninvited or without plausable cause[/quote']

Sounds like a Code of Honor to me, with the specifics being decided by that character's personality and/or background; there are some Mentalists out there who would say that the "Mentalist's Code" is to do as they please with lesser humanity, because that's what the meat is there for, and only respect the minds of their fellow telepaths - and have the authority to back such a statement, too!

I ment it as a psyc lim, so calling it a code of honor is appropriate. I would have liked it to be mentioned (and it might have been) as a common bit for mentalists, guess I am not explaining this that well...

I would say that the issue lies with how much the character in question identifies with humanity or some other social group. For example in order to kill it is far easier if you have dehumanised the target,do not see them as human or of a group deserving the same rights and respect that you yourself deserve. If the character is similar to magneto in xmen 3 then people are screwed. If however the character sees themselves as human with a slightly different gift/ability then they are unlikely to use their powers in an immoral or antisocial way.

I would say that the issue lies with how much the character in question identifies with humanity or some other social group. For example in order to kill it is far easier if you have dehumanised the target' date='do not see them as human or of a group deserving the same rights and respect that you yourself deserve. If the character is similar to magneto in xmen 3 then people are screwed. If however the character sees themselves as human with a slightly different gift/ability then they are unlikely to use their powers in an immoral or antisocial way.[/quote']

There's another non-absolute premise contained in this - what if you do not believe that you deserve rights or respect?

I would say that the issue lies with how much the character in question identifies with humanity or some other social group. For example in order to kill it is far easier if you have dehumanised the target' date='do not see them as human or of a group deserving the same rights and respect that you yourself deserve. If the character is similar to magneto in xmen 3 then people are screwed. If however the character sees themselves as human with a slightly different gift/ability then they are unlikely to use their powers in an immoral or antisocial way.[/quote']

OTOH, Magneto has no problems killing other mutants, either. Duh: he's a villain. (Well, most of the time, anyways.) But you do make a good point. Just as "Code vs. Killing" means nothing until you define Who can't be killed. Same race/species/culture only? All "sentient" beings? Animals? The answer of course varies by campaign and by individual.

I was just thinking, one way to avoid imposition of a Mentalist archetype would simply be to create a faction or group that did impose this sort of "use Powers only with consent or when absolutely necessary to protect the innocent" standard of behavior. There is nothing wrong with a campaign where Mentalists typically see themselves as superior to other beings, but there is also nothing wrong with a campaign where Mentalists typically see themselves as controversial or unpopular figures who must be extremely ethical to avoid ostracism or open warfare. Heck, one could even take an approach some have used with vampires -- establish that Mentalists must be pathologically secretive about their true nature for fear of public backlash from the entire rest of the world.

Still, to avoid controversey it may make more sense simply to establish a subset or faction that upholds a particular code of conduct, or even make it a personal code. In terms of a character sheet, it could even be as simple as adding a modifier. "Honorable Mentalists' Code" or "Benign Mentalists' Code" to be clear about the nature of the Disadvantage.

Regards,

Brainstorm