Justice League - July 5, 2003

Tempuswolf

Originally posted by Hermit

Would that be when he looked up at the floating city of the new gods, and said "I'm going to need a longer grapple."

:D

Yes. That was it.

It always seems like jokes are funnier when they come from normally grim characters. The contrast definitely adds something.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is meant as an observatuion and not a criticism, but, Batman seemed to crack a lot of one liners. They were funny ones and certainly with Darkseid, Brainiac and down and dirty supes in the episode I can see wherethere needed to be some element of lightness but it seemed a bit out of character. Great episode though and man was it great to see some new JL.

Originally posted by Agent X

I'm pretty sure that Supes knew that would not only, not kill Darkseid, but that it wouldn't even serve as a permanent injury for some "thing" like Darkseid.

While I agree with you that, were the stakes high enough, Supes would kill Darkseid, I gotta disagree with you regarding the lack of remorse.

He'd tear himself up inside.

That's what makes him great. The fact that he'd feel guilty about not being able to control his anger or find a non-lethal solution is what makes him Superman (and provides the moral authority for him to take the law into his own hands). Superman would also probably (Like John Stewart in "In Blackest Night") surrender to an authority that wanted to try him for regicide.

Originally posted by dbcowboy

Loved the scene where Darkseid stomps on Superman's face and says, "This is exactly where you belong: underneath my heel", just before Superman blows a hole through his foot with his heat-vision. Man, never seen Superman so willing to throw away his code vs. killing. I'd never seen the 3 part AoS episodes they showed before JL but taking all of that (plus the previous invasions of Earth by Darkseid) together, I can certainly see how he could come to HATE Darkseid so much.

When the most upstanding champion of restraint is pushed to his limit and has become convinced that this is the only way, how great must be the evil he faces?

If you've never seen Superman that willing to throw away his code vs killing... do whatever is necessary to get your hands on a certain pre-Crisis Superman Annual. I can't remember the number, but it might be #11 and I understand it was reprinted recently. If you find the actual annual, it has Superman in the foreground with a black tentacle thing (Black Mercy) on his chest, Mongul menacing behind him, and a shocked Batman/Robin/Wonder Woman in the background.

It contains, hands down, one of the ten greatest moments of comic history -- the "Burn Panel".

As to the episode itself -- I had it set to tape, but the power went off. Even when the power came back the cable didn't. Argh!

As to the episode itself -- I had it set to tape, but the power went off. Even when the power came back the cable didn't. Argh!

Kazaa is good. :) Downloaded and watched all the Legacy and Apokolipse Now episodes today and getting Twilight now. Since Superman Batman Adventures isn't shown here at all and the station that shows JLA is a good two or three months off from showing Twilight if ever, I'm really glad I can just download them. And no commercials of course.

While I agree with you that, were the stakes high enough, Supes would kill Darkseid, I gotta disagree with you regarding the lack of remorse.

He'd tear himself up inside.

Eah? I got the distinct impression Darkseid regularly invades, slaughters and enslaves planets all the time, he is an ever present uncontrolled killing machine. Letting him live to destroy other planets is like letting Godzilla eat Tokyo because Japan isn't the U.S.A...

Since he can't be jailed like Superman's typcial enemies, he needs to be destroyed... like they destroyed Stagg or the white martians... or the soldiers in Savage Time. He didn't tear himself up inside then.

The writers just can't be bothered to come up with a decent enough story that keeps Darkseid free but they want to keep him around so for no apparent reason Superman leaves him alive and free to continue to pursue his goal of enslaving and killing everyone.