Justice League - July 5, 2003

Tempuswolf

Yes, Virginia, there are superhero pajamas

I don't have cable and don't get Cartoon Network, so I have to depend on video releases to see "Justice League." Recently got the video "Justice On Trial." Re the Aquaman episodes, when did they transplant Namor the Sub-Mariner's brain into Aquaman's body? Enjoyed it but the whole story line was sooo Marvel Comics.

I also liked the "In Blackest Night" plot. The writers finally got over their Batman fixation and let another team member shine. John Stewart makes a noble Green Lantern even if he is a stuffed shirt. By the way, Hawkgirl refused to answer Flash when he asked whether there was a "Hawkboy." Has the series established whether Hawkman exists in this continuity?

I haven't specifically been looking for Wonder Woman or Hawkgirl pajamas for my preschoolers but I know that Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man versions exist. Toy R Us and Target would be good places to start looking. My son already has Hulk pajamas -- we just tell him to put on his jean cutoff shorts and he's good to go. :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Yes, Virginia, there are superhero pajamas

Originally posted by Kevin Scrivner

I don't have cable and don't get Cartoon Network, so I have to depend on video releases to see "Justice League." Recently got the video "Justice On Trial." Re the Aquaman episodes, when did they transplant Namor the Sub-Mariner's brain into Aquaman's body? Enjoyed it but the whole story line was sooo Marvel Comics.

The books, I believe, had turned up the regal crankiness meter on ol' Arthur before JL Animated did. He had an angry mini some years ago, then he was killed recently and that always makes some people meaner.

I also liked the "In Blackest Night" plot. The writers finally got over their Batman fixation and let another team member shine. John Stewart makes a noble Green Lantern even if he is a stuffed shirt. By the way, Hawkgirl refused to answer Flash when he asked whether there was a "Hawkboy." Has the series established whether Hawkman exists in this continuity?

I read a transcript from a Justice League panel discussion. In it the question about Hawkman was brought up and the panel, including Bruce Timm, expressed interest in doing something with him. It wasn't mentiones as anything pending but someday maybe.

Never thought about the new version of Aquaman = Sub-Mariner but that actually is a good comparison. Regardless, I find him a much more compelling character this way. Like the harpoon for a hand look but think I saw recently that he was able to form a water hand in place of his missing one. You know, my wife and I both have really enjoyed the Justice League episodes, the Aquaman ones being one of our favorite stories. The point where he cuts his own arm off so he can save his son was incredible.

Well just saw it... I was impressed, it had some strange moments and seemed to have way to many plot threads (was it originally going to be a three parter?) But the action was great and the characterizations were well done. Superman was great and using his powers impressively. Brainiac the most unfortunately named villain in comics was fun to see.

The Teen Titians commercials are strange... the anime style is unusual. I like anime but I know it is just a style that incorporates many genres and shouldn't consider it sacred... keep telling my self that.

Originally posted by BarryB

My daughter wouldn't mind. I'm going to google and see if I can find a source. If you run across the one you're thinking of, I'd appreciate you letting me know.

There was something solicitated in last months PReviews called the

"Wonder Woman: Comic Wonder Junior T-Shirt" for 18.95

Originally posted by MuscaDomestica

Well just saw it... I was impressed, it had some strange moments and seemed to have way to many plot threads (was it originally going to be a three parter?) But the action was great and the characterizations were well done. Superman was great and using his powers impressively. Brainiac the most unfortunately named villain in comics was fun to see.

If I smoked, I'd be lighting up a cigarette right now. Darn that was good. Either that, or I've been so starved for anything #$#$ing new on the show that my mind eagerly gobbled it up.

A few points.

1. Yes, you're right, Supes actually looks freaking formidable again. No more big S punching bag. Best line illustrating recognition of Supes power?

"Stop him, before he knocks us out of orbit!":)

2. We get to see just how nasty, devious, and powerful a bad guy Brainaic again, and get a lesson in Darkseid still outshines him in all three areas. :)

Bestline there: "I do that."

3. Fantastic character interaction, complete with future seeds of story laced for my favorite feathered lady Hawkgirl. The lady who voices for Wonder Woman started the series rather bland sounding, but she's improved a lot. And Batman shows what a wonderful counselor he makes... it's amazing he kept his face: "Cry me a river."

4. In addition to the muscle, we get to see a more three dimensional supes, best line there: "You know something, Bruce? You're not always right."

I give it an 8.5 out of 10

A friend pointed out that while Superman was much more formidable, he was also probably more vengeful than that character should be.

I know he has his reasons, but Supes is supposed to be bigger than that. "I'm not stopping till your a smear on my fist" is not what you would normally think of as something Superman would say.

Batman is supposed to be the dark one, and Superman holds his own by showing that honesty, compassion and earnestness get you just as far. I hope the new season won't lose sight of that.

Originally posted by Jhamin

A friend pointed out that while Superman was much more formidable, he was also probably more vengeful than that character should be.

I know he has his reasons, but Supes is supposed to be bigger than that. "I'm not stopping till your a smear on my fist" is not what you would normally think of as something Superman would say.

Batman is supposed to be the dark one, and Superman holds his own by showing that honesty, compassion and earnestness get you just as far. I hope the new season won't lose sight of that.

Yeah, that's stronger language than when he put the beatdown on Mongul after much abuse in the DC Comics Presents with the Alien Starman back in the mid-1980s. At the time, I was stunned because Supes actually said he was mad!:) I know in the story it was supposed to be because of all the horrible things Mongul had done but it seemed a little more personal. Mongul had basically humiliated Supes and had even torn his cape off.

Loved the scene where Darkseid stomps on Superman's face and says, "This is exactly where you belong: underneath my heel", just before Superman blows a hole through his foot with his heat-vision. Man, never seen Superman so willing to throw away his code vs. killing. I'd never seen the 3 part AoS episodes they showed before JL but taking all of that (plus the previous invasions of Earth by Darkseid) together, I can certainly see how he could come to HATE Darkseid so much.

When the most upstanding champion of restraint is pushed to his limit and has become convinced that this is the only way, how great must be the evil he faces?

Besides, in the comics Superman was judge, jury and executioner for Zod and crew in the alternate Earth and although they had killed all life on that planet and were totally evil he still had great remorse, so much so that he was developing MPD. Fact is, sometimes when our heroes fall/fail, they show us what it really means to be a hero when they rise up again.

I have one word for all of you...

...and that word is

TiVo

I've had my TiVo for over a year now and it's great for things like this. Besides "season passes" for all the shows I know I want, my TiVo also searches for shows with keywords like "action," "adventure," "superhero," and various well-known hero names. When I come back from a 3-day business trip my TiVo is stuffed with hours of great superhero cartoons while the filters keep Pokemon and Power Rangers and other such drivel off my device's hard drive.

If you have a life, but still want to watch TV, and do it on your schedule, get a TiVo.

I know this sounds like a commercial, but seriously, this thing will change the way you watch TV. You'll spend more of your TV time watching things you want to watch and less total time in front of the tube.

John H

By the way, Hawkgirl refused to answer Flash when he asked whether there was a "Hawkboy." Has the series established whether Hawkman exists in this continuity?

The newest episode revealed that she was blasted through a space warp by a criminal. She has no way home, has no idea where home is, and Thanagar is so far away that she says she had never heard of the Green Lantern Corp. If Hawkman does exist, the separation anxiety would certainly go a long way toward explaining her bad mood.

But if Hawkman does appear, you can bet it will be after her budding relationship with Jonn has developed further.

And yet Batman had some great lines in the episode.

"The next time I let Superman take charge, hit me. Really hard."

and...and...

D@mn it. He had a great one-liner shortly after he and Wonder Woman arrived on New Genesis, but I can't remember it now. I should have taped the episode while I was watching it.

Someone help me out?

TAS Superman has had it drummed into his head that Darkseid is honorless scum who stops at nothing to achieve his goals. Darkseid killed Superman's friend Inspector Dan Turpin in cold blood after being forced to leave Earth by Superman, the New Gods and a decent section of Metropolis' population. That kinda stuff really gets Superman's shorts in a twist.

Originally posted by dbcowboy

Loved the scene where Darkseid stomps on Superman's face and says, "This is exactly where you belong: underneath my heel", just before Superman blows a hole through his foot with his heat-vision. Man, never seen Superman so willing to throw away his code vs. killing. I'd never seen the 3 part AoS episodes they showed before JL but taking all of that (plus the previous invasions of Earth by Darkseid) together, I can certainly see how he could come to HATE Darkseid so much.

When the most upstanding champion of restraint is pushed to his limit and has become convinced that this is the only way, how great must be the evil he faces?

Besides, in the comics Superman was judge, jury and executioner for Zod and crew in the alternate Earth and although they had killed all life on that planet and were totally evil he still had great remorse, so much so that he was developing MPD. Fact is, sometimes when our heroes fall/fail, they show us what it really means to be a hero when they rise up again.

I'm pretty sure that Supes knew that would not only, not kill Darkseid, but that it wouldn't even serve as a permanent injury for some "thing" like Darkseid.

Originally posted by Agent X

I'm pretty sure that Supes knew that would not only, not kill Darkseid, but that it wouldn't even serve as a permanent injury for some "thing" like Darkseid.

Maybe, unfortunately I didn't tape it. My impression at the time was that Superman went back for the sole purpose of ensuring Darkseid went down with the planet. It seemed he knew he would die as well and was perfectly okay with that as long as Darkseid was destroyed. Shoot, I should have taped it.

Originally posted by dbcowboy

Maybe, unfortunately I didn't tape it. My impression at the time was that Superman went back for the sole purpose of ensuring Darkseid went down with the planet. It seemed he knew he would die as well and was perfectly okay with that as long as Darkseid was destroyed. Shoot, I should have taped it.

Well that I don't know. I was just dealing with the isolated idea of Supes blasting Darkseid full blast with his heat vision.

Originally posted by Armitage

And yet Batman had some great lines in the episode.

"The next time I let Superman take charge, hit me. Really hard."

and...and...

D@mn it. He had a great one-liner shortly after he and Wonder Woman arrived on New Genesis, but I can't remember it now. I should have taped the episode while I was watching it.

Someone help me out?

Would that be when he looked up at the floating city of the new gods, and said "I'm going to need a longer grapple."

:D

Originally posted by Hermit

Would that be when he looked up at the floating city of the new gods, and said "I'm going to need a longer grapple."

:D

The funny bit about that was just before he said it, I thought "Should have bought Megascale for your Swinging", and then he said the above line, causing me to laugh and miss the next few seconds of dialogue :P