CHAR: Sparky!

jkwleisemann

I found a request to actually post Sparky... and so I do so.

I've written him up both in Teen Champions terms (100+100, stricter AP limitations) and in Reg Champions (200 + 150).

Background:

"Bark!"

"Quiet boy."

"Bark!"

"Quiet! Or I'll put you out in the yard!"

Sparky sighed and laid down, sulking. Why didn't anybody understand him? He could understand them perfectly well. He could understand other *dogs* perfectly well, even if most of them didn't have much to say. But there seemed to be some sort of disconnect when *he* tried to make *people* understand him.

Gradually, the pup came to realize that this was perfectly normal. He was a brilliant dog... Hell, he was pretty bright for a person even. But he couldn't speak Person, and people couldn't speak Dog. Went to explain a lot about why the other dogs didn't have much to say either.

When Sparky turned two, he realized something else too; he had more going for him than just being smart. He'd been having a lot of trouble with static electricity lately, but one day he went chasing after a burglar - and blasted him with a shot of electricity!

While the crook recovered (he wasn't even *seriously* hurt), Sparky realized that he had to learn to control his new powers. Fortunately, they also gave him a way to communicate... sort of. He still couldn't speak, but he managed to use his electrical pulses to scorch messages onto paper. It was tiring, and the family just about had collective coronaries when they got home to find the message (and a very, very frizzed out Sparky, still occasionally sparking as he rested up), but he managed to get the point across.

He was a person just like them, even if he was a four-legged one. And he desperately needed help controlling the powers he was beginning to manifest. After a little finagling with Colton High's Paranormal Department, they managed to get them to accept Sparky as their newest student, and strangest thus far.

Note the 'thus far....'

Personality:

Sparky is a dog, at heart. He's got a noble spirit, and is eager to prove himself. He would also dearly like to find a way to *talk*, since his 'electro-writing' gets *really* tiring pretty fast. They're working on a device that would let him convert electrical pulses into sound, but it's still on the drawing board... for now.

Unfortunately, he is also dealing with the usual variety of teenage maladies... including crushes. Just that his are on people who would probably be disgusted by the idea of going out with him....

Quote:

"Grrr-bark!"

Powers/Tactics:

Sparky is aptly named - besides being 'bright' in that he's more intelligent than even the average human, he can fire eletrical blasts from his body. He cannot, however, speak or manipulate objects particularly well - he can 'write' with controlled electrical blasts to communicate, and some folks like to play 'Lassie' with him (something he hates), but he's really hoping they can figure out a way to modify a Bow-Wow for his use.

Water tends to hurt him more than most, as it causes his body to 'ground out' painfully. Also, he has some serious issues with anger-control when his "pack members" are threatened; the closest he ever came to seriously hurting somebody was when somebody tried to hurt Wendy.

Campaign Use:

Sparky is an unusual example of what can show up with Teen Heroes, and could serve as a *very* unusual romantic interest (albeit likely a one-sided one) for a female character. He also has a few advantages compared to normal heroes; while dogs are limited in where they can go, nobody worries too much about a dog walking around on the streets, compared to a teenager in a weird costume.

Wendy is Sparky's "ward" - she gives him an excuse to go places (as her seeing-eye dog), but he routinely has to pull her tail out of the fire, and serve the duties of a seeing-eye dog as well.

Appearance:

Beautiful, AKC-standard German Shepherd.

Teen Sparky:

[b]Sparky - Sparky Carmichael[/b]

[font=Courier New][b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]5    STR     -5   5      10-       HTH Damage 1d6  END [1][/font]
[font=Courier New]20    DEX     30   20      13-       OCV 7 DCV 7[/font]
[font=Courier New]14    CON     8   14      12-[/font]
[font=Courier New]14    BODY    8   14      12-[/font]
[font=Courier New]18    INT     8   18      13-       PER Roll 16-[/font]
[font=Courier New]15    EGO     10   15      12-       ECV: 5[/font]
[font=Courier New]15    PRE     5   15      12-       PRE Attack: 3d6[/font]
[font=Courier New]14    COM     2   14      12-[/font]
[font=Courier New]5    PD      4   5/10             5/10 PD (0/5 rPD)[/font]
[font=Courier New]5    ED      2   5/10             5/10 ED (0/5 rED)[/font]
[font=Courier New]4    SPD     10   4                 Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12[/font]
[font=Courier New]8    REC     8   8[/font]
[font=Courier New]30    END     1   30[/font]
[font=Courier New]27    STUN    3   27[/font]
[font=Courier New]6    RUN      0   6"                END [1][/font]
[font=Courier New]2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1][/font]
[font=Courier New]2    LEAP     1   2"                2" forward, 1" upward[/font]

[font=Courier New][b]CHA Cost: 95[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New][b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]9     [b][i]Canine Senses[/i][/b]: +3 PER with all Sense Groups - END=0[/font]
[font=Courier New]5     [b][i]Canine Senses[/i][/b]: Tracking with Normal Smell - END=0[/font]
[font=Courier New]3     [b][i]Canine Senses[/i][/b]: Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group) - END=0[/font]
[font=Courier New]15     [b][i]Bite[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (1d6+1 w/STR) - END=1[/font]
[font=Courier New]13     [b][i]Spark-Bark[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 6d6, STUN Only (+0) (30 Active Points); Cannot Use Targeting (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Spontaneously activates when startled (8-); -1/4) - END=6[/font]
[font=Courier New]12     [b][i]Don't have to Play Nice[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (30 Active Points); Cannot Use Targeting (-1/2), Limited Power Only Against Automata/Objects/Non-Living Targets (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) - END=6[/font]
[font=Courier New]7     [b][i]Static Shield[/i][/b]: Force Field (5 PD/5 ED) (10 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Useless against Water Attacks; -1/4), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Cannot Use in Water; -1/4) - END=1[/font]
[font=Courier New]16     [b][i]Electro-Repulsion Flight[/i][/b]: Flight 10" (20 Active Points); no Noncombat movement (-1/4) - END=2[/font]
[font=Courier New]2     [b][i]Electric Graffiti[/i][/b]: Sight Group Images 1" radius (10 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Minute, -1 1/2), Limited Power Only to 'write' (-1), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Cannot Alter after Creation; -1) - END=1[/font]

[font=Courier New][b]POWERS Cost: 82[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New][b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]2      PS: Guard Dog 11-[/font]
[font=Courier New]2      PS: Seeing Eye Dog 11-[/font]
[font=Courier New]2      Concealment 13- (3 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2)[/font]
[font=Courier New]3      Stealth 13-[/font]
[font=Courier New]1      Tracking 8-[/font]
[font=Courier New]0      Language:  Dog (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)[/font]
[font=Courier New]2      Language:  English (completely fluent; literate) (4 Active Points); Limited Power Cannot Speak (-1)[/font]
[font=Courier New]2      Language:  German (completely fluent; literate) (4 Active Points); Limited Power Cannot Speak (-1)[/font]
[font=Courier New]3      Teamwork 13-[/font]

[font=Courier New][b]SKILLS Cost: 17[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New][b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]3      Anonymity[/font]

[font=Courier New][b]PERKS Cost: 3[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New][b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]3      Lightsleep[/font]

[font=Courier New][b]TALENTS Cost: 3[/b][/font]
[font=Courier New][b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]15     Physical Limitation:  No Hands (Very Limited Manipulation) (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)[/font]
[font=Courier New]5     Physical Limitation:  Small (+3" KB) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)[/font]
[font=Courier New]10     Physical Limitation:  Cannot Speak (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)[/font]
[font=Courier New]15     Social Limitation:  Dog's have remarkably few rights and privileges.... (Frequently, Major)[/font]
[font=Courier New]10     Psychological Limitation:  Tries to Live up to the Heroic Ideal (Common, Moderate) [Notes: Teen Champions Page 88][/font]
[font=Courier New]15     Social Limitation:  Public Identity Frequently (11-), Major[/font]
[font=Courier New]5     Dependent NPC:  Wendy Carmichael (Blind daughter of owner) 8- (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills) [Notes: Useful:  Gets him in 'no dogs allowed' places, can occasionally talk for him][/font]
[font=Courier New]15     Psychological Limitation:  Crushing on Female Character (Common, Strong)[/font]
[font=Courier New]10     Enraged:  Enraged when "pack" take Body or are threatened with serious harm (Common), go 8-, recover 14-[/font]

[font=Courier New][b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 100[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New]Base Pts: 100[/font]
[font=Courier New]Exp Required: 0[/font]
[font=Courier New]Total Exp Available: 0[/font]
[font=Courier New]Exp Unspent: 0[/font]
[font=Courier New]Total Character Cost: 200[/font]

Reg Sparky:

[b]Sparky - Sparky Carmichael[/b]

[font=Courier New][b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]10    STR     0   10      11-       HTH Damage 2d6  END [1][/font]
[font=Courier New]24    DEX     42   24      14-       OCV 8 DCV 8[/font]
[font=Courier New]20    CON     20   20      13-[/font]
[font=Courier New]14    BODY    8   14      12-[/font]
[font=Courier New]18    INT     8   18      13-       PER Roll 16-[/font]
[font=Courier New]15    EGO     10   15      12-       ECV: 5[/font]
[font=Courier New]15    PRE     5   15      12-       PRE Attack: 3d6[/font]
[font=Courier New]14    COM     2   14      12-[/font]
[font=Courier New]10    PD      8   10/18             10/18 PD (0/8 rPD)[/font]
[font=Courier New]8    ED      4   8/16             8/16 ED (0/8 rED)[/font]
[font=Courier New]5    SPD     16   5                 Phases:  3, 5, 8, 10, 12[/font]
[font=Courier New]10    REC     8   10[/font]
[font=Courier New]50    END     5   50[/font]
[font=Courier New]40    STUN    11   40[/font]
[font=Courier New]6    RUN      0   6"                END [1][/font]
[font=Courier New]2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1][/font]
[font=Courier New]3    LEAP     1   3"                3" forward, 1 1/2" upward[/font]

[font=Courier New][b]CHA Cost: 148[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New][b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]9     [b][i]Canine Senses[/i][/b]: +3 PER with all Sense Groups - END=0[/font]
[font=Courier New]10     [b][i]Canine Senses[/i][/b]: Tracking with Smell/Taste Group - END=0[/font]
[font=Courier New]3     [b][i]Canine Senses[/i][/b]: Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group) - END=0[/font]
[font=Courier New]15     [b][i]Bite[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (1 1/2d6 w/STR) - END=1[/font]
[font=Courier New]34     [b][i]Spark-Bark[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 12d6, STUN Only (+0) (60 Active Points); Cannot Use Targeting (-1/2), Limited Power Spontaneously Activates when Startled (8-) (-1/4) - END=6[/font]
[font=Courier New]30     [b][i]Don't have to Play Nice[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6 (60 Active Points); Cannot Use Targeting (-1/2), Limited Power Only Against Automata/Objects/Non-Living Targets (-1/2) - END=6[/font]
[font=Courier New]18     [b][i]Killer Static[/i][/b]: Hand-To-Hand Attack +2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Damage Shield (Offensive; +3/4) (27 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) - END=0[/font]
[font=Courier New]28     [b][i]Static Shield[/i][/b]: Force Field (8 PD/8 ED), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2) (28 Active Points) - END=1[/font]
[font=Courier New]26     [b][i]Electro-Repulsion Flight[/i][/b]: Flight 13" - END=3[/font]
[font=Courier New]2     [b][i]Electric Graffiti[/i][/b]: Sight Group Images 1" radius (10 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Minute, -1 1/2), Limited Power Only to 'write' (-1), Difficult to Alter simple changes take a Full Phase (-1/2) - END=1[/font]

[font=Courier New][b]POWERS Cost: 175[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New][b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]2      PS: Guard Dog 11-[/font]
[font=Courier New]3      PS: Seeing Eye Dog 13-[/font]
[font=Courier New]3      Concealment 14- (5 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2)[/font]
[font=Courier New]3      Stealth 14-[/font]
[font=Courier New]3      Tracking 13-[/font]
[font=Courier New]0      Language:  Dog (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)[/font]
[font=Courier New]2      Language:  English (completely fluent; literate) (4 Active Points); Limited Power Cannot Speak (-1)[/font]
[font=Courier New]2      Language:  German (completely fluent; literate) (4 Active Points); Limited Power Cannot Speak (-1)[/font]
[font=Courier New]3      Teamwork 14-[/font]

[font=Courier New][b]SKILLS Cost: 21[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New][b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]3      Anonymity[/font]

[font=Courier New][b]PERKS Cost: 3[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New][b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]3      Lightsleep[/font]

[font=Courier New][b]TALENTS Cost: 3[/b][/font]
[font=Courier New][b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]15     Physical Limitation:  No Hands (Limited Manipulation) (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)[/font]
[font=Courier New]5     Physical Limitation:  Small (+3" KB) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)[/font]
[font=Courier New]15     Physical Limitation:  Cannot Speak English (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)[/font]
[font=Courier New]20     Social Limitation:  Dog's have remarkably few rights and privileges.... (Very Frequently, Major)[/font]
[font=Courier New]20     Psychological Limitation:  Code Versus Killing Common, Total[/font]
[font=Courier New]15     Social Limitation:  Public Identity Frequently (11-), Major[/font]
[font=Courier New]15     Dependent NPC:  Wendy Carmichael (Blind daughter of owner) 11- (Incompetent; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills) [Notes: Useful:  Gets him in 'no dogs allowed' place][/font]
[font=Courier New]5     Vulnerability:  1 1/2 x STUN Water Attacks (Uncommon)[/font]
[font=Courier New]15     Psychological Limitation:  In Love with Female Character (Common, Strong)[/font]
[font=Courier New]10     Psychological Limitation:  Hates it when people play "Lassie" with him (Common, Moderate)[/font]
[font=Courier New]15     Enraged:  Enraged when friends take Body or are threatened (Common), go 11-, recover 14-[/font]

[font=Courier New][b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New]Base Pts: 200[/font]
[font=Courier New]Exp Required: 0[/font]
[font=Courier New]Total Exp Available: 0[/font]
[font=Courier New]Exp Unspent: 0[/font]
[font=Courier New]Total Character Cost: 350[/font]

Re: CHAR: Sparky!

I like Sparky as well - Hell, someone should start a thread for Animal Heroes and Sidekicks, I think it'd be a fun read..

Good idea.

I know quite a few apes have been posted in the past. I suspect a lot of folks have an animal hero/sidekick (or villain) sitting either in their files or in their minds.

So, what are you waiting for? Start the thread! ;)

• 1 year later...