Help me create a Pulp Island.....

Black Ops

There was once a TV Series about a Pilot who was on a little Pacific Island(?),with a plucky female Bar Owner and such Stuff.

(IIRC the Island was a French Posession , the main advesarys were Japanese).

I like such a exotic Locale....

- What could be also there and around there ?

-the Island of the White Lady and Monster errr K´hong Island are around there for sure...

Does anybody have some Ideas what else can be around there ?

Re: Help me create a Pulp Island.....

We could flesh out the Island first, then get into surrounding areas - Tho with a pulp game (which usually has travel elements as staple genre bits) I wouldn't make things TOO close together..

I've allways been partial to big huge whirlpools myself, particularly if they appear and dissapear at seemingly random - maby make it a way to get to Hollow Earth?

-CraterMaker

:eg:

There was once a TV Series about a Pilot who was on a little Pacific (?),with a plucky female Bar Owner and such Stuff.

(IIRC the Island was a French Posession , the main advesarys were Japanese).

- What could be also there and around there ?

-the Island of the White Lady and Monster errr K´hong Island are around there for sure...

Does anybody have some Ideas what else can be around there ?

That description sounds like "Tales Of the Giold Monkey" to me. I actually have a (low quality) copy of the series, purchased over the internet (I can't remember where I got it from, but it looks as if it is recorded from tape that was recorded from television or something). What else could be around there ? Almost anything ! Who knows what the Lemurians may have left on the ocean floor (something that makes ships dissappear perhaps ?). Why could the Nazis be interested in this insignificant island ? Are they just out to cement good relations with the Japanese, or is their another (perhaps occult) reason ? Maybe there are the remaiins of one of the Chinese explorer ships from the early 15th century down there, with who knows what still on board ? (See "1421 : The Year China Discovered the World" by Gavin Menzies).

We could flesh out the Island first, then get into surrounding areas - Tho with a pulp game (which usually has travel elements as staple genre bits) I wouldn't make things TOO close together..

I've allways been partial to big huge whirlpools myself, particularly if they appear and dissapear at seemingly random - maby make it a way to get to Hollow Earth?

-CraterMaker

I like the Hollow Earth connection. Opens up all sorts of neat connections and leads. Could be tied into your whirpools too. Perhaps cyclopean basalt underwater fortress settlements peopled by fishmen cause the whirlpools as they cycle water between the Inner and Outer seas.

Perhaps one such temple city was abandoned by the fishmen when it was overwhelmed by the avatar of their own god, and thus the "valve" has gone with strange aeons of neglect and thus creates a huge sargasso sea-style bermuda triangle efect in its vicinicty. A mist shrouded sea of slowly twirling kelp with the silent husks of shattered boats and airplanes (Maybe a zepplin or two) forming the bulk of an overgrown floating Jungle island haunted by some sort of ghoulish critter... either mad survivors, actual undead creatures or something weirder.

Lovecraft can be plundered for a lot of great pulp ideas. All you have to do is de-emphasize the hopeless nature of opposing the bad guys. The Mummy is an excellent example of a Pulp story that could have been done as Horror and been mind blowingly terrifying.

Once yopu establish a hollow earth and connection, you can lead the plot to other bits that eventually tie back together. The tribe of cannibals that worship the volcano may do so because it has deep tunnels that connect to the Hollow earth that are periodically used by a cult of Pyromancers from the Inner World, who pose as gods to the savages to stroke their o'erweening egos.

Who are in turn sought by members of a secret faternal society with knowlegde of the pyromancers, and who are determined to see both the secrets of the pyromancers and their treasures brought to the surface so they might be plundered by themselves. Some of the german brethren, however, seem to be increasing thier efforts, in anticipation, perhaps, of coming strife?

Shame those cannibals are in the way. Perhaps it might be best if someone else were to take the risks involved on such an expidition?

Hehe.

I love Pulp.

I like the Hollow Earth connection. Opens up all sorts of neat connections and leads. Could be tied into your whirpools too. Perhaps cyclopean basalt underwater fortress settlements peopled by fishmen cause the whirlpools as they cycle water between the Inner and Outer seas.

Perhaps one such temple city was abandoned by the fishmen when it was overwhelmed by the avatar of their own god, and thus the "valve" has gone with strange aeons of neglect and thus creates a huge sargasso sea-style bermuda triangle efect in its vicinicty. A mist shrouded sea of slowly twirling kelp with the silent husks of shattered boats and airplanes (Maybe a zepplin or two) forming the bulk of an overgrown floating Jungle island haunted by some sort of ghoulish critter... either mad survivors, actual undead creatures or something weirder.

Lovecraft can be plundered for a lot of great pulp ideas. All you have to do is de-emphasize the hopeless nature of opposing the bad guys. The Mummy is an excellent example of a Pulp story that could have been done as Horror and been mind blowingly terrifying.

Once yopu establish a hollow earth and connection, you can lead the plot to other bits that eventually tie back together. The tribe of cannibals that worship the volcano may do so because it has deep tunnels that connect to the Hollow earth that are periodically used by a cult of Pyromancers from the Inner World, who pose as gods to the savages to stroke their o'erweening egos.

Who are in turn sought by members of a secret faternal society with knowlegde of the pyromancers, and who are determined to see both the secrets of the pyromancers and their treasures brought to the surface so they might be plundered by themselves. Some of the german brethren, however, seem to be increasing thier efforts, in anticipation, perhaps, of coming strife?

Shame those cannibals are in the way. Perhaps it might be best if someone else were to take the risks involved on such an expidition?

Hehe.

I love Pulp.

Cool.I like that.

The big chinese Exploration Fleet ?

Hmm fancy Idea.:eg:

Of course the Legion of Crime or the Dragon Mandarin could be also interested in this....

Just add chinese Pirates.....

I like the chinesse pirates as another tie in. Maybe they're the inital plot that reveals the whirlpools and their source. Working out of a an island near one of the whirlpool/vents, with strange artifacts and debris that occasionally washes on the shore from the inner earth, they prey on slower moving boats disabled by the whirpool and include among their plunder hints to the existance of the sargasso sea and/or your "Skull Island" among the notes from the exploration fleet. The Dragon Mandarin could well be aware of the rumors of these documents and what they portend and have an agent hidden among the pirate band.

Cool.I like that.

Thanks... I love brainstorming campaign ideas. I'm a total genre fiend and a bit of a story teller, so I can just totally riff off of other good ideas.

The big chinese Exploration Fleet ?

Hmm fancy Idea.:eg:

Of course the Legion of Crime or the Dragon Mandarin could be also interested in this....

Just add chinese Pirates.....

Did someone say "Chinese Pirates"?

hungwailo.jpg

They had a Pirate kitbashing contest on another site, everyone went the "Pirates of the Caribbean" route. I gave my entry a pulp twist.

If you have a South Sea island Chinese Pirates are a must.

One of the islands in the area could be the secret base of a multi millonaire scientist who embarked on a potentially harmful course of action. jungle adventure, wild animals, secret bases, loyal guards, hi-tech wizardry etc.

another island could have a secret japanese or Nazi naval base. and maybe the villagers on that island are being enslaved for labor. one escapes and beseeches the PC's for help.

I think Jak was posting a legitimate idea' date=' and not a bad one at that! Just make the cavern edges seashores and you've got a decent enough little archipelago o' weirdness there. ;) Though you'd need some sort of alternate explanation of how the Aztecs and Mongols got there.[/quote']

Memo: Buy Inner Earth !

Well, since people beat me to Chinese pirates...

a) In the "Depths of Evil" game I ran for GenCon SoCal (an Extraordinary Gentlemen kind of game), the Nazis had recovered the power plant from Nemo's Nautilus after he had scuttled it (realizing that all his efforts had gone to naught, and all civilization was swallowed up in the Great War); they were using it to power their underwater base. While this particular bit of background didn't matter to the adventure (though the generator did!), the sub had sunk in the South Pacific, where the waters are very deep...

B) Just what did happen to Amelia Earhart? What did she find that caused her to be completely disappeared?

c) The Giant Rat of Sumatra, so ominously hinted at by Dr. Watson but never told, may be yet stirring...

d) Ports like Singapore and Hong Kong and Manila can and should have everything you can think of; the entire world passes through those ports, and everyone's looking for something...

e) great treasure ships from China and India and Arabia from centuries ago might never have been found and lie just waiting for the right (or wrong) team to loot them (curses? just rumors to frighten the weak!)

...that should do for starters... :P