Multiform, Multichange

Lucius

I've already taken my questions to the "top" so to speak but I decided I wanted everyone else's input too. I'm thinking of taking a character with Multiform (a power I'm not sure I've ever used before....so this is new to me.)

1. Pretty sure I understand this, but just to clarify. I pay full price for the most expensive form, then +5 for each doubling thereafter - regardless of actual point value of the lesser forms. In other words, forms 3 and 4 could be of far lesser point totals than forms 1 and 2, but will cost the same as if they were all equal?

2. Is it the case that Disadvantage "caps" don't apply to multiforms? The text seems to imply this in that it is stated that the multiform must have the same BASE points as the "True Form" and that the rest of the points must be made up in Disadvantages but that the multiform can have more points than the "base" or "true" form (Storvak, the sample character, is built in 350 pts but has a 400 pts Tyrannasour form - so that must mean the Tyrannasour has 200 pts of Disads if Storvak is a character in a "standard" superhero campaign, right?)

3. I know from a previous question that Multiform can indeed change a character into a vehicle, base, AI, etc. Can such a form be designated as the "true" or base form? Or must the "true form" always be an actual full character?

4. (the big one.) If my character has several possible forms, can I take Accidental Change more than once to define different circumstances that will trigger change to different forms? Or do I just step up the circumstance modifier and define different triggers for different forms under a single Disadvantage?

Lucius Alexander

On the internet, no one knows my true form is that of a palindromedary

Re: Multiform, Multichange

1. +5 for double the number of forms: Yes, second, third and beyond forms may use less point totals that the largest Alternate Form.

2. Yes. Alternate Forms are built on the same Base Points. If you're a 75+75 Point Heroic Character all your Alternate Forms are also 75+75 Point Characters. Anything above that must be payed for with additional Disadvantages or Experience Points.

3. The Base Form pays for the points. The True form may be defined however you wish, usually the Base Form but doesn't have to be, as long as the GM agrees too.

4. That's between you and the GM. But yes, this would be a good reason to take Accidental Change more than once; especially if the circumstances for each shift are different enough.

They are more or less synonimous.

Base Form pays for the Multiform, that's how that's defined.

99% of the time that is also the True Form. However if the GM and Player discuss and agree that another form makes sense as the "True Form" then it can be moved. True Form really only comes into play when the character is forced to change to it.

For example.

The Incredible Hulk is the BASE FORM, because he's the most expensive for obvious reasons. STR, Damage Resistance, two tons of armor, leaping, etc. & so forth. Bruce Banner is the true form even though he's infinitely cheaper.

The Base Form does not have to be the most expensive form. It could very well be Bruce Banner that's the Base Form.

The base form being required to be the most expensive is no longer the case... used to be that way, but it has been changed in the latest revision (I can't remember if it was to the revised edition of 5th that did it, or from 4th... anyway..).

Since that is the case, I don't think you should ever make the base form not the true form. By definition, the true form is the one that you go to if you lose the ability to change.... and that should be the form with the multiform power that gets lost.

-Nate

The Base Form does not have to be the most expensive form. It could very well be Bruce Banner that's the Base Form.

As I understand it, it's very likely Bruce Banner is the Base Form.

One reason he looks so much weaker than Hulk is that he spent lots of points on science skills and so forth, but a BIG reason is that he spent a lot of points on a whopping big Multiform power...

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants a second form identical to the first.

1. Pretty sure I understand this, but just to clarify.

Yes, you understand this.

2. Is it the case that Disadvantage "caps" don't apply to multiforms?

Disad caps are a construct of the GM, not the rules. While the rules suggest certain guidelines, it's the GM who institues what the caps are and what they apply to. As far as I'm concerned, caps apply to forms built through a Multipower. I'm not letting someone get away with a 600 point monster in a 350 point campaign just because Multiform (a rule) doesn't enforce a point cap.

Or must the "true form" always be an actual full character?

As far as I can tell, you can buy Multiform for any type of character, including Automatons (meaning you can have mindless zombie that can turn into a full character with an EGO and self will, and for whatever reason back again). As with the point caps, it will depend on what the GM allows. As a general rule of thumb, if the GM is not willing to allow someone play a vehicle that doesn't multiform into a normal character, the GM probably shouldn't allow a vehicle to be the base/true form of a Multiforming character.

4. (the big one.) If my character has several possible forms, can I take Accidental Change more than once to define different circumstances that will trigger change to different forms? Or do I just step up the circumstance modifier and define different triggers for different forms under a single Disadvantage?

Absolutely, but you really shouldn't take them all on the same form. Unless you mean that the character concept is such that the base form turns into a volvo under a full moon, but turns into t-rex if he stands too close to a microwave while it's on. Then I can see the character having more than one Accidental Change, but the multiple instances of it probably don't limit the character that much more. I'd just say take it once and increase the frequency to reflect how often any kind of Accidental Change may occur.

Lucius Alexander

On the internet, no one knows my true form is that of a palindromedary

On the internet, everyone knows what your true form is!

Absolutely, but you really shouldn't take them all on the same form. Unless you mean that the character concept is such that the base form turns into a volvo under a full moon, but turns into t-rex if he stands too close to a microwave while it's on. Then I can see the character having more than one Accidental Change, but the multiple instances of it probably don't limit the character that much more. I'd just say take it once and increase the frequency to reflect how often any kind of Accidental Change may occur.

Yes, every form will have a way to accidentally change into any of the four others. Or so I'm thinking right now. I'm also considering making Multiform No Conscious Control so that the ONLY way to change is "by accident."

However, very little is set, yet.

Lucius Alexander

And a set effect palindromedary

Random thought - if you had NCC Multiform and each form had Luck, is that enough to prod the GM into checking for a lucky change into the most appropriate form?

I think it'd be fun to sometimes transform into something useful, and sometimes into something ridiculously inappropriate.

Random thought - if you had NCC Multiform and each form had Luck, is that enough to prod the GM into checking for a lucky change into the most appropriate form?

I think it'd be fun to sometimes transform into something useful, and sometimes into something ridiculously inappropriate.

That's how I might treat it.

Perhaps. Of course, the least useful form might also be the unluckiest, leaving you stuck in it for a while..... :eg:

Of course, in this case ridiculously inappropriate could be fatal. If I'm underwater and change into a form that needs air to breathe......:eek:

Lucius Alexander

Form of: A palindromedary!