Build challenge: stasis fields

Robyn

This is one of the things which, after reading 5ER (well, most of it, anyway :o), I still think of as a tricky build. In the affected area, time stops; those inside are frozen, cannot perceive (because, subjectively, nothing is happening during the no-time), and will not age. It is also impossible to harm those inside a stasis field because any effect that enters it will instantly become affected as well.

There are several ways to do this with EDM, of course. The tricky part turns out to be in the details. How accurately can you replicate the criteria above? Exact builds are preferred for EDM, but even general ideas of how to use other powers for any of this would be appreciated :)

Re: Build challenge: stasis fields

Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Point in Time, Physical Location Same As Starting Location), Usable As Attack (+1), Area Of Effect (12" Radius; +1), Continuous (+1) (160 Active Points)plus Desolidification , Usable As Attack (+1), Area Of Effect (12" Radius; +1), Continuous (+1) (160 Active Points) Total Active Cost 320.

I think that is a good starting point. You can then add other Modifiers to season as you like (lowering the END cost or setting it up as Uncontrolled, etc). The Single Point in Time is considered to be the exact moment the field is set up. Continuous basically means that the target(s) basically are always "sent" to that exact moment as long as the field is active.

Subjectively, since the target(s) are continuously at the same point in time, you could argue that they do not perceive the passage of events outside the field. Same thing with the whole aging thing. If you really need mechanics for those, I give you Darkness and Life Support UAA.

I'm probably overlooking something serious, but I think that would be a reasonable way to start modeling the effect.

[EDIT: Yup, forgot about the not getting hurt in the stasis field.]

The Single Point in Time is considered to be the exact moment the field is set up. Continuous basically means that the target(s) basically are always "sent" to that exact moment as long as the field is active.

I think you're saying that each target is repeatedly affected by the power, since it is Continuous*, and the first effect counts as all the others rolled into one. I like the idea that, once a stasis field affects somebody once, it doesn't need to roll to continue affecting them (which, considering the rolls would be made in the same moment it first tried to affect them, would lead to some very quickly resolved paradoxes).

*Or would AOE alone maintain the application of the power? If a character teleports/EDM's from one AOE into an identical AOE in another dimension, does that count as leaving one and entering the new one? Does it matter if there is any "transit time"?

I'm probably overlooking something serious' date=' but I [i']think[/i] that would be a reasonable way to start modeling the effect.

A big one for me was how to let it turn off (or be disabled) later, with the affected target(s) emerging in the present at that time.

The Continuous means you don't have to keep rolling a new attack roll each phase to affect them. Once you successfully attack the Area, all you have to do is pay END to maintain it. Very much a STOP sign power as it is, so I wouldn't allow it without some mechanism to shut it off (Continuing charges or END cost.) I would allow an Uncontrolled to be thrown on it to allow for the creator of the field to "fire and forget," but even that will eventually exhaust the END and the field would dissipate.

Area of Effect is there for two reasons; one is that it is easier to target a hex (DCV 3) than most characters. The second reason is that it is a field.

It is kind of an assumption, on my part , that time outside the field continues normally. Unless you buy the power with enough megascale to effectively cover the whole universe, then the targets inside will "appear" in the present. They will have no memory of the elapsed timeframe, so to them it would appear as if the world changed in a blink of an eye.

It is kind of an assumption' date=' on my part , that time outside the field continues normally.[/quote']

Yes. This is where attacks on those outside the field can originate; but an arrow, for example, would fly within and then hang there in midair, suspended in flight.

It would resume motion the moment that field switched off, though, which would be a nasty way to go (unexpectedly caught in stasis field, assassin takes a few hours carefully lining up shots from every conceivable direction, leaves them hanging in the air a few feet away from you, then leaves to wait for the field to shut off).

Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Point in Time' date=' Physical Location Same As Starting Location), Usable As Attack (+1), Area Of Effect (12" Radius; +1), Continuous (+1) (160 Active Points)[b']plus[/b] Desolidification , Usable As Attack (+1), Area Of Effect (12" Radius; +1), Continuous (+1) (160 Active Points) Total Active Cost 320.

I think that is a good starting point. You can then add other Modifiers to season as you like (lowering the END cost or setting it up as Uncontrolled, etc). The Single Point in Time is considered to be the exact moment the field is set up. Continuous basically means that the target(s) basically are always "sent" to that exact moment as long as the field is active.

Subjectively, since the target(s) are continuously at the same point in time, you could argue that they do not perceive the passage of events outside the field. Same thing with the whole aging thing. If you really need mechanics for those, I give you Darkness and Life Support UAA.

I'm probably overlooking something serious, but I think that would be a reasonable way to start modeling the effect.

I don't think you need Desolid here. The ED Movement covers that element of the effect.

I'm pretty sure that EDM is an Instant Power. (I could be wrong...) Anyway, that means once it's used, it's used. The shiny bubble effect that most fictional stasis fields generate is a special effect. If you really wanted to you could include something like an Inherent Missile Deflection based at the same location (based on a perfectly reflective sphere).

The ability to turn it off at will is a bit more tricky. EDM isn't like Flight or Running. You can't move and then stop partway, or choose to stop EDMing; there's no "X years per Phase" for EDM. It's more like Teleport; you choose where you want to go and you're there; for instance, "I'm going to EDM fifty years into the future." You can't suddenly decide at twenty years you like the view and shut it off here, which definitely doesn't match up with many fictional depictions of time travel, but does match up with some stasis fields in fiction (Vernor Vinge's bobbles come to mind).

The ability to turn it off at will is a bit more tricky. EDM isn't like Flight or Running. You can't move and then stop partway' date=' or choose to stop EDMing; there's no "X years per Phase" for EDM. It's more like Teleport; you choose where you want to go and you're there; for instance, "I'm going to EDM fifty years into the future." You can't suddenly decide at twenty years you like the view and shut it off here,[/quote']

Since you're frozen in time, you can't decide at all; you rely on someone outside the field shutting it off for you. An AI can keep watch over things for you, perhaps monitoring the END reserve to leave enough energy for a safe shutdown, but even so it's something outside the area of effect that maintains the field.

Hence buying the Continuous advantage to make it a Constant power as opposed to an Instant one. :)

...But what would it do? It would be like making Teleport a Constant Power as opposed to an Instant one. With Teleport, you activate the Power and poof you're there. Same goes for EDM: Forward In Time. You activate your EDM, and from your standpoint, poof you're there. Someone couldn't then come up and Suppress or Dispel your EDM mid-use, causing you to suddenly pop back into the time stream; it would be like trying to Suppress or Dispel damage.

Since you're frozen in time' date=' you can't decide at all; you rely on someone [i']outside[/i] the field shutting it off for you. An AI can keep watch over things for you, perhaps monitoring the END reserve to leave enough energy for a safe shutdown, but even so it's something outside the area of effect that maintains the field.

But there isn't any way to shut it down, mechanically. You (or anyone else) can't "stop" yourself with EDM; you choose your endpoint and you're there. I would be happy if it were otherwise, and I'm not saying a GM couldn't rule it worked that way, but that's not how it works, and I don't believe (though again I could be wrong, and again I'd be happy if there were) that there is, mechanically, any way to make it work that way.

Edit: Idea: Use some variant on the "Must Pass Through Intervening Space" Limitation for Teleport. Perhaps with a Limitation to the effect that "May be stopped midway through some internal or external means."

Just to provide a different tack on this: I've created a stasis-field design based on Suppress Body. According to the rules for Suppress, if you use it to lower the Body of a target below 0 that person is effectively "dead", but once the Suppress is shut off the target regains all Body and comes "back to life." IMO the SFX of this could be suspending all bodily functions while in stasis. Mind you, the FAQ adds that someone in this state could still die permanently from prolonged lack of nourishment, extreme environmental conditions, or additional damage not derived from the Suppress.

So, as an alternative build I propose Suppress Body large enough to bring the target below 0 Body (probably rolling Standard Effect so that the result is predictable), No Range, Self Only; plus Total Life Support, Linked to Suppress; plus Desolid, Linked to Suppress. Flavor with additional Modifiers as desired.

Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Point in Time' date=' Physical Location Same As Starting Location), Usable As Attack (+1), Area Of Effect (12" Radius; +1), Continuous (+1) (160 Active Points)[b']plus[/b] Desolidification , Usable As Attack (+1), Area Of Effect (12" Radius; +1), Continuous (+1) (160 Active Points) Total Active Cost 320.

Actually, I'd make it that they're sent to THE MOMENT THE FIELD COLLAPSES. The SPECIAL EFFECT is that they're frozen in time, still visible but cannot be affected or harmed by any force in the universe. But because the actual mechanic is that they've been transported tothe future, they're NOT PRESENT to be affected by anything no matter what it looks like.

This avoids having to worry about defenses against attacks, aging, etc.

My two cents.

Actually, I'd make it that they're sent to THE MOMENT THE FIELD COLLAPSES. The SPECIAL EFFECT is that they're frozen in time, still visible but cannot be affected or harmed by any force in the universe. But because the actual mechanic is that they've been transported tothe future, they're NOT PRESENT to be affected by anything no matter what it looks like.

This avoids having to worry about defenses against attacks, aging, etc.

My two cents.

That's not bad. Even better than what I came up with.