Here Comes Santa Claus?

Michael Hopcroft

Re: Here Comes Santa Claus?

Funny, this topic came up just a couple of days ago. There have indeed been a number of writeups and conceptual discussions for Saint Nick in HERO, severaL posted here to the boards at various times. Go to this thread to access them: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51892

Didn't someone notable write him up for 4th Ed Hero in some issue of Adventurer's Club?

Yup, that would be Scott Heine. See the abovelinked thread for details.

Let’s see. One billion Christians in the world. Arbitrarly assume 15%, one hundred and fifty million, are children young enough to receive annual visits from Santa, furthermore that they are grouped on the average two and a half per household, or sixty million households.

If Santa works a ten hour night, say children’s bedtime of 8 pm to dawn of Christmas day at 6 am (time zones are disregarded for reasons that will become obvious later), and it takes 10 minutes per average household to enter, set out the gifts, eat the cookies, drink the milk, possibly grab a carrot or apple left for the reindeer, exit, and get to the next house, Santa can cover six houses an hour, or sixty houses a night.

So for Santa to cover sixty million houses on a single night, Santa, the reindeer, and sleigh must have 20 levels of duplicaion, allowing Santa to be in 1,048,576 places at once. (The extra forty-eight thousand can take care of the less than annual gifts to older children and adults.)

Quality check: As this is within an order of magnitude the number of Santas seen in the malls, we can have confidence in this number.

So for Santa to cover sixty million houses on a single night, Santa, the reindeer, and sleigh must have 20 levels of duplicaion, allowing Santa to be in 1,048,576 places at once. (The extra forty-eight thousand can take care of the less than annual gifts to older children and adults.)

Quality check: As this is within an order of magnitude the number of Santas seen in the malls, we can have confidence in this number.

I personally would go with Extra-Dimensional Movement. (My big declaration during the 1980s was that Santa Claus is a Time Lord.)

I personally would go with Extra-Dimensional Movement. (My big declaration during the 1980s was that Santa Claus is a Time Lord.)

I go with "Quantum Claus." On December 25, the Sleigh et al appears wherever it is expected, and doesn't where it is not, at the same time.

Midas

I go with "Quantum Claus." On December 25, the Sleigh et al appears wherever it is expected, and doesn't where it is not, at the same time.

Midas

I would not be surprised to learn that Quantum Santa's location and velocity cannot be known simultaneously. The act of observing one of these characteristics will unpredictably change the other.

Brow.gif

I would not be surprised to learn that Quantum Santa's location and velocity cannot be known simultaneously. The act of observing one of these characteristics will unpredictably change the other.

Brow.gif

:thumbup: I hadn't thought of the observation effect, good point!

I was considering the concept that, under quantum mechanics, events don't have to be done sequentially: like the theorhetical quantum computer that answer all yes/no switches at the same time.

This makes it even better!

Midas

PS: Thanks for the rep Robyn.

In the Powerpuff universe' date=' Santa can bestow superpowers. (He can also [i']take them away[/i], which is probably fortunate under the circumstances.) The downside is that he has a fairly poor security system, although that will presumably be remedied in future.

Do tell? could you summarize the plot?

Midas

Do tell? could you summarize the plot?

Midas

"The Fight Before Christmas", the last American PPG episode produced, centered around a dastardly plot by Princess Morebucks to figure out why everyone was calling her naughty except the household staff, who were to terrified of her to speak (and, incidentally, where all that coal in her closet came from). After infiltrating the Santa Complex, she located his office and his nice and naughty lists; and discovered hers was the only name on the latter.

So she did what anyone would do in her circumstances; she switched the lists, and Santa was harried enough that he fell for it. Thus every kid in the world got coal in their stockings except Princess, who got the only gift she couldn't get from her Daddy -- the powers of a Powerpuff Girl.

Needless to say, this resulted in a confrontation and race to the North Pole with the real Powerpuff Girls, which resulted in Santa's workshop left in ruins and all four of them faced by an omnipotent, royally ticked off St. Nick.

Needless to say, Princess' getaway was rather rudely interrupted when she discovered she couldn't fly anymore -- in mid-air.