How much damage do I do?

Vestnik

Sorry if this is mundane and obvious, but these adding DCs rules are conflunding me.

My character has a 30 STR and the the following attack (superheroic game):

Claws: 1 1/2d6 HKa, 1/2 END Cost (31 AP), Reduced Penetration

Then, I have Martial Arts with a Martial Strike (+2 DCs) and an Offensive Strike (+4 DCs), with WE: Use Martial Arts with Claws.

So how much damage do I do here? Thanks!

Re: How much damage do I do?

I think players should be forced to buy Naked Advantages for everything that isn't a plain Energy Blast.

For example, buy Naked Advantage: 1/2 END, Reduced Pen on your Strength before you you can use it with your claws. Maybe add Linked if it's reasonable that you sometimes wouldn't have your claws. Then it's easy: 30 STR = 2d6KA, with the advantages already paid for.

Ditto with +DC. Buy Naked Advantage on 'em before you can use them with a weapon or other attack that isn't just straight +HtH damage. +2 DC is 10 points of regular damage and 1/2d6KA, just like always. +4 DC is 1d6+1KA just like always. Again add Linked if it's reasonable that sometimes you wouldn't have the linked-to item or power.

This would eliminate all "How do I add damage?" questions because now you just add 'em up. Or maybe I'm just being cranky ....

Sorry if this is mundane and obvious, but these adding DCs rules are conflunding me.

My character has a 30 STR and the the following attack (superheroic game):

Claws: 1 1/2d6 HKa, 1/2 END Cost (31 AP), Reduced Penetration

Then, I have Martial Arts with a Martial Strike (+2 DCs) and an Offensive Strike (+4 DCs), with WE: Use Martial Arts with Claws.

So how much damage do I do here? Thanks!

If my math is right approximately 3d6+1, 4 damage classes from STR (since with the advantage you need 6.25 points of STR for each dice), +1 Damage class from martial strike or offensive strike (DC's are halved for a killing attack.) also since you have a 5 Damage class attack you may only ever add 5 damage classes to the attack, this is why even with offensive strike you are only adding 1 damage class.

Hope this helps :)

If my math is right approximately 3d6+1, 4 damage classes from STR (since with the advantage you need 6.25 points of STR for each dice), +1 Damage class from martial strike or offensive strike (DC's are halved for a killing attack.) also since you have a 5 Damage class attack you may only ever add 5 damage classes to the attack, this is why even with offensive strike you are only adding 1 damage class.

Hope this helps :)

So, given that it's Reduced Penetration, that comes to two 1 1/2d6 (or 2d6-1) HKAs, right?

I think players should be forced to buy Naked Advantages for everything that isn't a plain Energy Blast.

For example, buy Naked Advantage: 1/2 END, Reduced Pen on your Strength before you you can use it with your claws. Maybe add Linked if it's reasonable that you sometimes wouldn't have your claws. Then it's easy: 30 STR = 2d6KA, with the advantages already paid for.

Ditto with +DC. Buy Naked Advantage on 'em before you can use them with a weapon or other attack that isn't just straight +HtH damage. +2 DC is 10 points of regular damage and 1/2d6KA, just like always. +4 DC is 1d6+1KA just like always. Again add Linked if it's reasonable that sometimes you wouldn't have the linked-to item or power.

This would eliminate all "How do I add damage?" questions because now you just add 'em up. Or maybe I'm just being cranky ....

Cranky

Cranky

Cranky

Cranky

:D

You've got 25 points of HKA' date=' so you can put 25 points of STR behind it, making 3d6+1 ... the martial arts are pretty much just gravy at that point. :)[/quote']

Not so much gravy as toxic waste: -2 OCV and only +1 DCV to compensate: without the advantage of the substantial damage boost you normally get from OS it simply is not worth it unless you are desperately low on END.

Not so much gravy as toxic waste: -2 OCV and only +1 DCV to compensate: without the advantage of the substantial damage boost you normally get from OS it simply is not worth it unless you are desperately low on END.

Well, the O. Strike might be a waste, but you lose nothing by doing the Martial Strike. Full damage, +2 DCV ... other than losing knockback (which you probably weren't relying on anyways), you come out pretty well.