Need Some Latin Blessings

BoloOfEarth

I'm running a game this Sunday where the heroes are trying to save somebody who has been cursed. She is going to be transported to the "lands of the damned" at midnight, and the heroes are probably going to be battling hordes of demons at the gates of Hell for a time. Before this happens, however, I'm betting the players are going to seek help from a priest or other religious person.

I thought it would be neat, while playing the part of the priest, if I could say some things in Latin, blessings on the heroes or the innocent woman, or an ersatz exorcism to try to cancel the curse, or whatever.

If you know some Latin and could help me, both with some Latin phrases and an English translation, I would be most appreciative. (All I can give are my thanks and some Rep, unfortunately.) The more, the better. They don't have to be actual religious blessings; I just don't want to sound like the fake priest from Johnny Dangerously ("summa cum laude... magnum cum laude... the radios go loudy...").

Thanks in advance.

Re: Need Some Latin Blessings

Ave Marie

Ave Maria, gratia plena;

Dominus tecum;

benedicta tu in mulieribus,

et benedictus frustus ventris tui, Jesus.

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei,

ora pro nobis peccatoribus

nunc et in hora nostrae.

Benedicat tibi Dominus et custodiat te.

Ostendat Dominus faciem suam tibi et misereatur tui.

Convertat Dominus vultum suum ad te et det tibi pacem.

(Num 6:24-26)

Deus misereatur nostri et benedicat nobis inluminet vultum suum super nos et misereatur nostri diapsalma ut cognoscamus in terra viam tuam in omnibus gentibus salutare tuum

(Psalm 67:2-3)

Dominus custodit te ab omni malo custodiat animam tuam Dominus. Dominus custodiat introitum tuum et exitum tuum ex hoc nunc et usque in saeculum.

(Psalm 121:7-8)

Pax huic domui!

(Luk 10:5)

Pax vobis!

(Luk 24:36)

Deus autem pacis sit cum omnibus vobis. Amen.

(Rom 15:33)

Gratia vobis et pax a Deo Patre nostro et Domino Iesu Christo.

(1 Cor 1:3)

Gratia Domini nostri Iesu Christi cum spiritu vestro fratres. Amen.

(Gal 6:18)

First is Hail Mary translations for others as follows

The Lord bless thee, and keep thee:

The Lord make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The Lord lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

(Numbers 6:24-26)

May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face shine upon us, that your ways may be known on earth, your salvation among all nations.

(Psalm 67:2-3)

The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul. The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.

(Psalm 121:7-8)

Peace be to this house!

(Luke 10:5)

Peace be with you!

(Luke 24:36)

The God of peace be with you all. Amen.

(Romans 15:33)

Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

(1 Corinthians 1:3)

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, sisters and brothers. Amen.

(Galatians 6:18)

GUIDE TO ECCLESIASTICAL LATIN PRONUNCIATION

SYLLABLES

Every Latin word has as many syllables as it does vowels or diphthongs. (Diphthongs are double vowels which form one sound). The most common Latin diphthongs are ae, oe, and au. In Latin each consonant, vowel and diphthong is pronounced separately.

EXAMPLES:

Peccata is pronounced pec-ca-ta and not pec-a-ta.

Tuum is pronounced tu-um (too-um), and not as toom.

ACCENTS

The rule for where the accent in a Latin word goes. If the word has only two syllables, the accent always falls on the first syllable.

EXAMPLE:

amo is pronounced as AH-moe, not ah-MOE.

If the word has three or more syllables, then where the accent is applied depends upon whether the syllable second to the last has a long vowel or not. If the second to last syllable has a long vowel in it, then the accent is placed on that syllable. If the second to the last syllable has a short vowel, then the previous syllable (the third syllable from the end).

EXAMPLE:

Peccata is pronounced: pe-CAH-ta, since the a in the second syllable is long. Nomine is pronounced: NOH-mi-neh, since the i of the second syllable is short.

PRONUNCIATION OF LETTERS

English borrowed its alphabet from Latin, the pronunciation of individual Latin letters are close to that of English. The differences are mainly the vowels and a few consonants.

VOWELS

Long

Short

A as in - father A as in - Dinah

E as in - they E as in - met

I as in - machine I as in - pit

O as in - note O as in - off

U as in - rude U as in - put

CONSONANTS

Consonants are HARD, but some consonants take a HARD form in front of some vowels and a SOFT form in front of other vowels:

These consonants are HARD before - (a, o, u, au) These consonants are SOFT before - (ae, e, oe, i)

C = k - as in cot C = ch - as in chain

CC = kk - as in accord CC = tch - as in catchy

SC = sk - as in tabasco SC = sh - as in sheep

G = g - as in go G = soft g - as in gentle

GN = "ni" - as in onion (ny like sound)

TI - when followed by a third vowel becomes a tsee sound as in tsetse fly.

Sometimes one will see a "j" in Latin. Technically Latin has no letter "J". It was introduced in the 13th century or thereabouts to differentiate between the vowel "i" and the consonant "i". The consonantal "i" is like our "y". "Major" in Latin is pronounced as MAH-yor. Until this last century, most printed Latin texts used the "j" to indicate the different sounds. Today the "j's" are usually replaced with the more classical "i's".

DIPHTHONGS

ae - as "ay" in say

au - as "ou" in house

oe - as "ay" in say

In English word order is crucial. In English the word order distinguished who did what to whom. In Latin it is the ending of the word that indicates who did what to whom. Dog bites man means something very different than man bites dog.

EXAMPLE:

THE SIGN OF THE CROSS

Signum Crucis

SIN - yum CREW - chis

Latin In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.

Pro: In NOH-mi-neh PAH-tris et FEE-li-ee et SPEE-ri-toos SANC-tee AH-men

Trans: In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Spirit Holy. Amen.

Great work! This will all be a great help. alexraccoon, you really went above and beyond, with both the blessings and the pronunciation guide.

Gotta love how people help out around here. And all within a half hour!

Thanks again, and may you both be as blessed as you are helpful.

I found a web site a few months back that was kind of like Babel Fish' date=' but also included a Latin option. If you'd like, I'll see if I can find it again.[/quote']

I tried one website, attempting to translate the 23rd Psalm. I expected it would have problems with old English, but even putting the text into modern English, it seemed to have trouble with some words (unless they are exactly the same in both English and Latin, which I doubt). This didn't give me a lot of trust in the website's translation.

But I appreciate the suggestion.

Here is a listing of some common Latin prayers:

http://www.thesacredheart.com/latpray.htm (with English translation beside them)

And, for more than you will ever need:

http://www.preces-latinae.org/Titulus.html (also with English translations)

One slight note - Ecclesiastical Latin and classic Latin have some very different pronunciations. If I am not careful, I send Christmas carols (like Adeste Fideles) in classic pronunciation, which would be a problem if I were in a small group.