Review: Predators

ghost-angel

Review of Predators up at RPG.Net

In Brief:

Style: 3 (about average for this type of book)

Substance: 4 (lots of NPC goodness)

Eighty-Five villains, thugs, assassins, thieves and crimelords for a modern action game. Especially useful for those using Hero Games' Hudson City Setting, but easily useable in any modern campaign.

• 1 month later...

Re: Review: Predators

Just got this and while I like the Book 80% of the interior art is really bad.

I'm a visual person and like to see characters art as much as I Like to read there backgrounds and for a $30 book I guess I expected better

Now I'm not sure I will by another book online unless I have seen a copy up close and personal first.

Would like to know If I'm the only one

Thanks

I'm a visual person and like to see characters art as much as I Like to read there backgrounds and for a $30 book I guess I expected better

Now I'm not sure I will by another book online unless I have seen a copy up close and personal first.

Thanks

Dude, I get everything. Just look through my shelves next time and decide based on that. ;)

And yeah, I'd have liked better art. Still a good product though.

Thanks

I should add a line to every one of my reviews:

Art is for artbooks.

But yes, the art in Predators was pretty bad even from my point of view of not giving a rat's backside about art in gaming books.

And since players don't face off against the artwork - generally I ignore it when reviewing a book for utility in gaming.

But they do go up against who the art represents and I like to have art of the characters Handy when playing, when telling them what someone looks like is not enough & you want to show them.

And if the art in the book is no good well that just means more work for me, having to create, find or pay for artwork that works.

And Predators is not a cheap book, Like I said love the content but if I knew another book had art done by the same person inside, I may not buy it.

I flipped through it again, very little artwork is outright Bad. There are some subpar pieces, but not a lot made me go "oh my."

I can say that the artwork in Nobles, Knights, And Necromancers (the most recent enemies book from Hero) has much better artwork for most of it, and from a wider variety of styles.

And I know that it has detractors, and if I felt like bashing I would be one of them. Unlike g-a, I'm used to great art in my books; Shadowrun, MechWarrior, d20 from 2nd ED on (even if they were full page color shots, they were in there). But it doesn't bother me.

I have a million giga-watt imagination; I don't need someone else to tell me how it should look, I can picture it just fine on my own. Would I like the bestiaries to be done in full color spreads with d20 quality interior artwork? Ayup.

Would I like HERO to have an unlimited budget? AYUP. But neither of those things are likely to happen. And worse, the bestiaries don't sell well. Which is damn annoying.

And I know that it has detractors' date=' and if I felt like bashing I would be one of them. Unlike g-a, I'm used to great art in my books; . . .[/quote']

Actually, it has nothing to do with what I'm used to. Would I like spectacular art in my books? sure.

Have some of my past gaming books (Mechwarrior, Shadowrun, etc) had them? sure.

Do they hold a candle to the large number of art books I own? not a chance.

Does art help me game? not really, at best it's icing on the cake.

• 1 month later...

Bad Artwork akin to 'Eyewitness Account'.

What did he look like? 'Well, you know; bad.'

You mean, bad as in health? 'No, bad as in Michael Jackson bad!'

Oh, now that is scary! :P

Er, anyway; I got it and really didn't pay attention to the art...