Conditional Reputations?

Alverant

I am working with a Golden Age hero concept. He's a villain who joined the Allies out of self-interest (the Nazis would experiment on him to find out his secrets). Now in his capers, he has taken care not to kill or seriously injure anyone. But there has always been lots of property damage. So I'm taking a reputation "Destructive Villain" at 11-, but would like to add "but never killed anyone" at 8-. Meaning that if the NPC make the reputation roll it works normally, but if it's made by 3 (reaching 8-) the other part of the rep is known too. How would I do that in Hero? Right now I have a notation in Heromaker and nothing more.

Re: Conditional Reputations?

I am working with a Golden Age hero concept. He's a villain who joined the Allies out of self-interest (the Nazis would experiment on him to find out his secrets). Now in his capers' date=' he has taken care not to kill or seriously injure anyone. But there has always been lots of property damage. So I'm taking a reputation "Destructive Villain" at 11-, but would like to add "but never killed anyone" at 8-. Meaning that if the NPC make the reputation roll it works normally, but if it's made by 3 (reaching 8-) the other part of the rep is known too. How would I do that in Hero? Right now I have a notation in Heromaker and nothing more.[/quote']

Positive Rep (perk) for the 'but never killed', Negative Rep (disadvantage) for Destructive Villain, I'd say.

Not exactly. He might have the CvK as well, but it shouldn't be ruled as being part of that particular advantage/disadvantage.

The advantage is that people know he's never killed anyone, so even IF he wrecked a 20 million dollar mall to save a little girl whose ransom was only 500k (*cough* Demolition Man *cough*), he DIDN'T kill anyone, and that'll balance out to people who actually do remember that part. One's a Perk, the other one's a Disad.

So. Disad:

-10: Reputation: Demolition Man, 11-

Perk:

1: Reputation: ... but he never KILLED anyone. (A medium-sized group, anyone who recognizes him via the Disad Reputation) 8-, +1/+1d6

That latter, of course, can go up if the reaction is a bit better -- witness one certain young impressionable cop's reaction to him.

The fundamental problem of having the "never killed anyone" rep as a perk is that it would be possible to make the positive rep roll but not the negative one. That doesn't make sense. Knowing he's a destructive villain is a prerequisite for knowing he doesn't kill. I'm trying to figure out how to do that.

He doesn't have a CvK or "protective of innocents" disadvantages because his reason for not killing is selfish and non-binding. It's because fatalities would lead to unwelcome complications. His partying buddies would avoid him, he wouldn't be welcome in bars, and the authorities would look harder for him, and since murder has no statue of limitations he doesn't want to be arrested for something he did a hundred years ago (he's an immortal so I am talking a literal hundred years).

The fundamental problem of having the "never killed anyone" rep as a perk is that it would be possible to make the positive rep roll but not the negative one. That doesn't make sense. Knowing he's a destructive villain is a prerequisite for knowing he doesn't kill. I'm trying to figure out how to do that.

Make it one roll. If it comes up 12+, you know neither rep. If it comes up 9-11, you only know the negative rep. If it comes up 8-, you also know the positive rep.

Is never "never killed anyone" necessarily positive? I can think of any number of ways it could be used against him.

"Stand back Heroman, or I'll shoot your girlfriend!"

"Now, now Captain Villain, you and I both know you won't pull that trigger."

"Curses!"

Keith "He's gotta say, 'curses', 'cause he's Golden Age" Curtis