Older Gamers, Older Characters?

BigJackBrass

Re: Older Gamers, Older Characters?

I'm forty now, and I have a concept for a character that is about fifty-five. I'll never get to play him, but I wanted to run a gadgeteer based on Red Foxx's character from Sanford and Son.

He was just a guy runnning a junkyard/fix-it shop when he his natural tinkering ability suddenly expanded to mythical levels. Now he's the Reed Richards of crackpot inventors. Just like Gizmo from the Teen Titans comics and that guy from Astro City.

He's not physically impressive, but he is a cantankerous old curmudgeon with frickin' lasers mounted on his head. ( He made them out of a pair of those eyeglass mounted flashlights, you see). I really just wanted him to be able to call the group brick, "You big dummy" all the time.

I'm forty now, and I have a concept for a character that is about fifty-five. I'll never get to play him, but I wanted to run a gadgeteer based on Red Foxx's character from Sanford and Son.

He was just a guy runnning a junkyard/fix-it shop when he his natural tinkering ability suddenly expanded to mythical levels. Now he's the Reed Richards of crackpot inventors. Just like Gizmo from the Teen Titans comics and that guy from Astro City.

He's not physically impressive, but he is a cantankerous old curmudgeon with frickin' lasers mounted on his head. ( He made them out of a pair of those eyeglass mounted flashlights, you see). I really just wanted him to be able to call the group brick, "You big dummy" all the time.

Repped, quoted, and stolen! If I ever get the chance to run a game again, this guy is so becoming an NPC. :hail::rockon::rofl:

Approaching middle age is past it?

It is if you're approaching from the other direction!

He's not physically impressive' date=' but he is a cantankerous old curmudgeon with frickin' lasers mounted on his head. (He made them out of a pair of those eyeglass mounted flashlights, you see). I really just wanted him to be able to call the group brick, "You big dummy" all the time.[/quote']

Look! It's The Mighty Curmudgeon!

Most of my characters have been my own age at the time the character was created, at least when age wasn't a dice roll. One of my fave characters was a humanoid tiger (aged 35, same as me at the time) who had been making a living as an actor for many years (mostly as a corporate mascot).

My secondmost favorite character was an escaped lab animal (a large orange cat) who was a young adult (for a cat -- I don't know how many years that would've been).

In the current Champs game I'm in, I play Tomorrow Boy, a 15 year old super genuis from the future. ( I myself am currently 38, which makes me the oldest amongst our players, most being late twenties to early thirties, I believe.)

Anyway he has been a blast to play.

I'm trying to remember if i played any older characters in any RPG, but I don't remember if i did. D&D was always a shame because I always wanted to play the old wizend wizard, which is hard to justify at first level:rolleyes:

I think my oldest characters have been early thirties.

On another note, This discussion reminded me of a campaign idea I once had were the *young* JLA-like team were killed and the PCs, who were all retired or aging heroes, had to step up and fill the gap left by the supreme team.

Could have been fun.