New Optional Combat Maneuver Ideas

The Main Man

Re: New Optional Combat Maneuver Ideas

Seems reasonable enough from a game-mechanic perspective, since Standard Effect is neither Advantage nor Limitation, and Average is slightly higher than Standard Effect. Conceptually it's a little too metagamey for my taste, but of course YMMV.

As for why Haymaker is a Standard Maneuver, IMO it's because an all-out attack is stock for nearly every fictional adventure genre, particularly supers which is the root of the HERO System.

I'm with the Faceless Wonder on this -- except I just don't really ... "get it," I suppose. I think the average damage thing is just as much work as chucking dice, so for me this doesn't fit. Is it unbalancing? Not in my experience or opinion, I just don't think it pays for itself, as Chris Goodwin asks in his signature.

Again, LL is correct -- I love having Haymaker as a Standard manuever, it's great for both PCs & NPCs who want to "wind up" a great shot. It's also a great excuse for SFX descriptions from the PCs who pull them (Here's the wind up... and the pitch! OH! OMG he cracked him in the SKULL!)

I just don't think that Standard Effect should be necessarily tacked onto a power as an advantage - I like to think of it as akin to Pulling Punches in a way.

Average Effect is easy; Take the Standard Effect and add half the number of dice you rolled (round down if odd)

Ex. 10d6 --> Standard Effect = (10 x 3) 30 STUN, 10 BODY; Average Effect = [(10 x 3 = 30) + (10/2 = 5)] = 35 STUN, 10 BODY. Just a touch more damage that could make a difference.

I like the idea of the Standard Effect option, but as a maneuver it should an Optional Maneuver like Blunt Weapon (or whatever it's called), and only apply in circumstances where an attack's damage can be easily controlled or predicted.

New Optional Combat Maneuver Ideas

I have long thought "Trip" should be a standard manuever.

Maybe -2 OCV -2 DCV Damage 1d6 + v/5

It shouldn't take special training in martial arts just to trip someone up or knock them over.

Lucius Alexander

Martial Throwing a palindromedary