stealth 2

steph

Re: stealth 2

Half speed or less, depending on the situation.

Ever play the computer game Theif? Like that, I think. At a guess, speed should be a function of darkness and how far away the person trying to spot you. Just like the game, the slower you move, the harder you are to see, and vice-versa. Sometimes in the game the guards would be almost on top of you but you could remain unseen if you didn't move at all and had a really dark shadow to hide in.

Now that I think about it, HERO already has rules for 1) making a Perception roll based on distance, and 2) Rules for -1 to vision based on darkness, fog, etc. You should use those rules.

Moving should add something like +1 to be spotted per hex of movement used. At least, that feels right to me, I haven't read through those rules carefully. If you want to remain unseen while moving really fast, you should buy Invisibility with the limitation "Only during a full move" or something. Good for speedsters who move really fast.

A Stealth roll should add something like -5 to -10 for someone trying to spot you (GM's call based on cover and darkness?) Moving adds (I'm guessing) +1 per hex. Take your chances as you see fit...

I agree that any penalty for movement should be based on the absolute move not a proportion of the full move, although I'd make it -1 per 2" moved per phase (even that is a bit odd as someone with SPD 12 is moving a lot faster than someone with SPD 1 even if they both move at 2" per phase, but you can't have everything, at least not without a lot of complications).

You'd do an opposed stealth/PER roll, with the opponent's movement adding to your PER (or subtracting from their stealth) roll.

I might be persuaded to actually ADD a bonus to a stealth roll if the sneaky person was not moving at all (say +2).

That would mean:

STATIONARY +2 stealth

Moving VERY slowly (1") no penalty

2-3" = -1

4-5" = -2

6-7" = -3 etc

I would not usually allow stealth at non-combat velocities.

I'm not looking, so I have to ask. Does the success of your stealth roll directly impact your opponents PER roll, yes? So if Stealth is made by 7 (dag) then whatever your normal PER roll is for those conditions now drops by seven more? So not only am I in the shadows, holding still (or moving slowly) I'm also just that good.

That makes sense.

I'm not looking, so I have to ask. Does the success of your stealth roll directly impact your opponents PER roll, yes? So if Stealth is made by 7 (dag) then whatever your normal PER roll is for those conditions now drops by seven more? So not only am I in the shadows, holding still (or moving slowly) I'm also just that good.

That makes sense.

Baically, yes: you make an opposed roll, so the opponent has to do better than you to spot you:

CHAR A: Stealth 14-, rolls 9, made roll by (14-9)=5, so

CHAR B: PER 12- has to take a -5 on his roll, so he needs (12-5)=7-

in a situation of stealth the movement of the character is reduced? how much is reduced?

stef

The only correct answer is "by however much the GM says it's reduced."

As a guideline, I'd say the MAX rate of movement is 1/2 combat movement (so a Full Move is 1/2 normal Full Move, and a Half Move is 1/4 normal full move). I figure around 3"/Phase is a -0, and for every inch less, you guy a +1, and for every inch more you get a -1 (and if you don't move at all you get an additional +1, for a total of +4, assuming but only if you are not in the observer's LOS).

There might be actual rules/official guidelines in The Ultimate Skill, but I haven't had the time to read it so I don't know.