What is the best way to build this?

Gideon

Re: What is the best way to build this?

But you don't need them' date=' Hyper-man, because any fanning of the trigger or multiple shots can be taken care of with advantages in the pool like autofire and variable special effect. Once you have the power pool, all of the restrictions of the advantages vis a vis the active point cost vanish, you just have to make a fast draw roll to change the pool.[/quote']

If it were only that simple. :doi:

See Steve Long's response to this thread:

Rapid Fire & Multipower Question

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54359

The question was specific to a Multipower but I'm willing to bet that the answer would be essentially the same for a VPP as well.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were only that simple. :doi:

See Steve Long's response to this thread:

Rapid Fire & Multipower Question

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54359

The question was specific to a Multipower but I'm willing to bet that the answer would be essentially the same for a VPP as well.

Changing the VPP powers in mid-stream seems quite unbalancing, potentially, in any case. The problem is that this specific case is reasonable, but setting it as a precedent carries issues. Assume my VPP requires a 0 phase action to change, and that we accept the pool allocation can be changed during an attack action. So I Rapid Fire four shots, one with normal bullet [change pool] one with a silver bullet [change pool] one with an AP bullet [change pool] and one with an explosive bullet.

Is that a lot different from the choice to, say, Rapid Fire four shots, one with normal bullet [change pool] one with a silver bullet [change pool] one with an AP bullet [change pool] and one doesn't fire because I just reallocated all of my power pool points to Armor, so I "pull the trigger" and nothing comes out? Maybe I realllocate to a 1 pip bullet and slap the rest of the points into Armor, Linked to mercy bullet. Either the pool can be reallocated between shots or it can't. Note that the Rapid Fire action allows you to stop firing before hitting the number of shots declared - you just don't revise the OCV penalty retroactively.

You're not building the power in the pool correctly, Hugh, that's where this falls down. Refer to the rules on partially limited powers, and buy the power with Autofire, Trigger, and Limited Group SFX, Bullets.

When you fire one bullet, you do more damage, yes, but nothing's perfect.

You only change the pool once, to create a power that SIMULATES Rapid Fire with Autofire and limited number of shots.

You're not building the power in the pool correctly, Hugh, that's where this falls down. Refer to the rules on partially limited powers, and buy the power with Autofire, Trigger, and Limited Group SFX, Bullets.

You only change the pool once, to create a power that SIMULATES Rapid Fire with Autofire and limited number of shots.

Auto-fire is still only going to apply to 1 set of advantages on a power. It is will not solve the issue of a gun with a clip of various bullets: 1 Silver, 1 AP, 1 Normal, 1 Rubber. Trigger may be a valid solution but it will have to be purchased seperately for every bullet type the character wants to use.

This one still running? Sheesh, you guys!

I was thinking about this though, and here's what I thought:

We ought to have another little paragraph in the 'Charges' section:

Preparing Clips (optional rule)

If you have bought a charges in a clip, you have to prepare the clip beforehand. How long it takes to prepare the clip is a matter for the GM but it should usually take at least 1 step up the time table from the time it takes to change a clip (so a full phase to change means a full turn to prepare) but this is a matter for agreement between the player and GM, depending on sfx. Normally you can not prepare a clip in combat, but the GM may allow you to prepare a clip, or part of a clip, with an appropriate skill or DEX roll, in combat, and the GM can specify how long that takes. For example, placing a single shot in a clip might be accomplished with a Power Skill, DEX roll or Weaponsmith Skill roll, and take as long as it would to change an entire clip (usually a full phase).

When preparing a clip for a single power, all the charges in the clip will be charges of that single power. If you are preparing a clip from a multipower or other framework, you can change slots for each charge that you load into the clip, and they will be used in the set order when the clip is loaded and used.

NB Even if you are loading a clip from a VPP the shots have to be set when the clip is loaded: you cannot change the charges in a clip without re-preparing the clip, even if the VPP is cosmic. Obviously this will depend on the SFX to an extent, and the GM may have to consider whether a power is limtied by this approach compared to other similar powers, and if so, whether a limtiation is appropriate. But it probably isn't.

so I have 1 power and that power is:

2d6 RKA, Autofire, VSFX (with trigger), OAF, Charges.

The Trigger is "when I fire the gun, VSFX activates"

So I decide to fire at 3 targets:

1. I shoot target 1. Trigger activates. The bullet is made of silver.
  2. I shoot target 2. Trigger activates. The bullet is made of cold iron.
  3. I shoot target 3. Trigger activates. The bullet is made of mercury.

OK. That works in getting around the fact that VSFX says it can only be activated once a phase. However, it does not allow the character to use bullets that do anything other than 2d6 RKA. If I want the bullet to explode, I can't use this power to do so. i would have to buy a second power of:

2d6 RKA, Autofire, VA (with trigger), OAF, Charges.

And then I can have an explosion, or AP, or Penetrating.

But I still can't have both.

I would need:

2d6 RKA, Autofire, VSFX (with trigger and lockout VA), VA (with trigger and lockout VSFX)OAF, Charges.

Then I could have both a 2d6 silver bullet AND a 2d6 explosive bullet, but not a 2d6 silver explosive bullet. Which is great. There are only 2 problems I see with this.

1. I think that the active cost of this power will be higher than 70 points.
  2. I STILL can't have attacks that do something other than a variation of 2d6 RKA (like a flash, or an entangle).

Any ideas on how to solve this final part of the equation?

• 6 years later...