Obnoxious Player Moves

CrosshairCollie

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Doug McCrae

What's bad about Central Casting? I haven't used the books myself, but I was trying to find the superhero one a while back.

It's bad if you take everything literally. Just like with any random generation method. I've got the full set and they're fun distractions.

Well, the Dwarf paladin in question was granted status as "the son of a god" by central casting...

We had another character in another campaign who was a Highlander (like from the show...could only die by beheading and regenerated like crazy)...

We've had characters come from high nobility and start with tons of money and/or magical items (sometimes multiple...the dwarf i've mentioned multiple times started at first level with a sunblade, full-plate armor, and several thousand gold pieces in gems...)

We've had characters recieve spell-like abilities useable once per round (magic missile, burning hands, charm person, invisibility, etc)

I personally had a Streetfighter character (oop game by whitewolf) start with a dex and apperance of 9...

Character in the same game started with a Wealth background of 6...

We've had cyberpunk characters start with futureistic plasma weapons, combat lasers, personal Aerodynes, favors from corporate CEOs that could not be refused, patlabors, heavy ACPA suits, 'borg bodies and no humanity loss, and of course...tons of cash...

Starwars characters started with their own personal starships (i don't mean fighters or transports...one character started with a salvaged Stardestroyer! He claimed it was due to central casting...)

This is just what I could think of off of the top of my head...the list goes on...

My biggest problem with the whole thing was that characters never seemed to get any disadvantages to balance the "goodies" (as the other players put it.) At least, nothing to match the scale of the advantages the "wondrous backgrounds" gave them (god forbid that they did! The character might very well be unplayable!)

Maybe it's just my personal experiences with Central Casting, but I haven't allowed it anywhere near my games for nearly ten years (I'll allow people to make histories with it, but all those special goodies and IMHO perverted personality characteristics are not counted.)

Arandmoor

Originally posted by Arandmoor_Keet

Maybe it's just my personal experiences with Central Casting, but I haven't allowed it anywhere near my games for nearly ten years (I'll allow people to make histories with it, but all those special goodies and IMHO perverted personality characteristics are not counted.)

I remember some disads, but then again, actually playing characters rolled up via CC. That would be slightly insane. At the very least, the GM should be there and when a roll happens that the GM doesn't want to deal with, they veto it.

Like any tool, it can be abused. See these nail clippers? :eek:

I was in a Champions game (4th ed) where there were 2 GM's and 4-5 players. At the very start of the game we had a fellow player I'll call "Tad". The basis of the game is that through various means we had all agreed to go through surgery and become cybernetic crime fighters. As soon as we met up in the room for the first time with our new powers, "Tad" was off on is own, using up one GM's complete time. We found out later that he was spending his time changing cars, identities, the way he looked etc for hours. His paranoia reached such a high level he ended up bugging everyone's rooms and spying on them. That lasted 2 game sessions.... Then he dropped out of the game. The GM's decided to make him a villain, and our Arch-Nemesis was born. Eventually he became soooo hated that whenever something bad happed to our characters we would say "crap, we just got Fentoned!" (the character's name was Robert Fenton).