Point Level for Spy Game

CourtFool

I am preparing to run an espionage campaign. I want it to be cinematic. I am thinking along the lines of The Bourne Identity and MI-5. Maybe as far as Alias. As much as I love Bond movies, I feel many of them cross the line of 'believability'.

I was originally thinking 100 base points and 50 points from Disadvantages. After trying to stat up some characters this weekend, I am thinking I need to go 150 base and 50 Disadvantages.

Has anyone else run this sort of game, what point level did you use and what point level would you suggest?

Re: Point Level for Spy Game

The cinematic skills from Dark Champions can run up the cost of a character quite a bit. So I'd say that the characters need to fall within the 200-250 point range counting disads. This assuming that you want something on par with a starting Jame Bond type character.

I would like the characters to have access to a 'super skill' or two. I was thinking a maximum of 50 points from Disadvantages because there are fewer appropriate Disadvantages in this type of campaign. I have no problem raising the base points to compensate for this.

I would like the characters to have access to a 'super skill' or two. I was thinking a maximum of 50 points from Disadvantages because there are fewer appropriate Disadvantages in this type of campaign. I have no problem raising the base points to compensate for this.

It's too easy to come up with 50 pts in disads in just psych lims and hunteds- watched by home agency is practically a freebie, and some classic psych lims (loyal to agency, or protective of innocents or the like) are easy. 75 pts is an easy total, but 100 will make the players creative as they scrounge.

I suggest these as "standard" disads that all players must take:

Distinctive Feature: Badge/Agency Credentials/ID (Easily Concealed, Noticed) 5 pts

Hunted (Own Agency) Watching on 8- (More pow, NCI) 10 pts

Hunted (floating agency opponents) 8- (More pow, NCI, geog. limited) 15 pts

Social Limitation: Subject to Orders from agency (occurs frequently, severe consequences) 20 pts

That's 50 pts there.

Add in a Common Strong Psych Lim for 15 pts and a Common Moderate one for another 10 pts and we're at 75 pts without really breaking a sweat.

Additional Psych Lims, Rivalries (possibly lethal ones), Distinctive Features, specific Hunteds, Reputations (within the Espionage community), DNPCs, Obscure Social Limitations (especially Secrets), and Dependencies or Physical Limiations (to reflect alcoholism/drug addiction, or old injuries) add the "flavour" that really makes a character unique.

I also allow my PCs to take 5 quirks for 1 pt each.

Personally I go with 75/75. If you think Bond is too unrealistic, you may want to stay out of the 200 point range, where most of your players are going to have at least 15 STR and 18-20 DEX. But if you do decide to go with 75/75 let them get their super spy gear for free, even the crazy stuff. Use the resource points explained in Dark Champions (I think this is a MUST for any Spy game).

I would recommend 200 point characters for this level of play. It could be done at the 100+100 level, especially if there are packages that have big hunteds, watched, social obligations, and the like in them. It could also be done at 125+75 or 150+50 if you want a game where heroes have one or two strong defining traits but don't want to bother with a list of disads because you have some pre-planned story arcs ready to go.

• 1 month later...

Definately between 200 and 250, depending on how beefy you want your heroes.

I would be careful about the number of Disads though. 100 points is a lot of Disads and there will be a bunch of things that should probably be elimintated right off the bat out of the Disad list (Vuln, Susc, Enraged). That means all your Disads will usually be concentrated in PsychLims. Which is fine, but that is still a LOT of Disads for a character.

I would suggest a possible 125 + 75 or 150 + 50.