WWYCD: Merchandising Hell

wylodmayer

I once played a character called Liberty, a bubbleheaded but well meaning brick/model who was also an aspiring actress in LA (the character was very loosely based on the GLOW wrestler of the same name). Anyway, Liberty's attempts at becoming "a star" involved many - perhaps exclusively - misadventures along the way. One of them was a particularly ill advised merchandising choice made for her by her sleazy manager. On the upside, she had gotten an action figure. On the downside, it was made by ACDC, the Anatomically Correct Doll Company ("Squishy In All the Right Places!"). Liberty was distraught.

This isn't so much a 'what would your character do' as a 'what have they done to my character' thread. Imagine a godawful merchandising scheme based on your character. What would it be? Who's likely responsible (the character himself is always a live answer - Ace would definitely come up with the worst crap all on his own)? What would your character's reaction be?

Go nuts.

Re: WWYCD: Merchandising Hell

A character in a Champions campaign I ran back in the 80s (sheesh) fell victim. He was a sentient steampunk robot called Hydraulix & happily signed a marketing deal for action figures. IIRC this was inspired by a Marvel range that launched at about the same time in which all the figures had shields (not just Cap) presumably because once they had the mould to include shields it was cheaper to include them than not.

So for a gag I had the Hydraulix figure come with a shield too.

The figure sold well (Hydraulix was a hit with kids generally due to the clanking & hissing & phonographic voice). The player enjoyed that and saved up his xp (and had a word with the team gadgeteer) and actually bought a shield to add to his character just to fit the action figure & keep his fans happy.

I thought that was very cool of him.

The Flying Kittens, after approaching the makers of their favourite collectable minis game with a deal, would be thoroughly disgusted to find out that they were portrayed as midgets in the game. Action figures based on that same assumption would just add insult to injury.

Luna Moth's idea of merchandising hell would be to find out that half a dozen toy, game, and souvenir industries are fighting over her.

The New York Public Libary's lions are trademarked by the Library and used as logos (and there's some concern over whether Irving's activities constitute trademark dilution, though he does not call himself by the library's name, Fortitude-- the courts are still hashing this out as trademark law did not previously cover living beings). Any Irving toys made are probably unlicensed approximations with names like 'Stone Lion Hero' or suchlike, and while not very well done, are probably not flat-out insulting (Irving's pretty hard to insult, anyway).

Been there, done that - where the rest of his team-mates were happy to stick him upsidedown to a wall with whale vomit and hand him over to Eurostar, Vitus's other colleague The Storm Lord instead used his alter ego's financial nous to get a range of Vitus Action Figures into production. Action figures as insulting and foul-mouthed as possible.

Vitus is aware of them, but hasn't realised they're supposed to be insulting yet.

Shinji Miromoto - probably would get set up with this as part of a liscencing deal through the City of Denver, in order to 'defray the costs of maintaining a para-human support team". Which he would agree to, but something would probably happen in the politics, and the merchandising rights (for the entire team) would end up going horribly, horribly awry.

Icon - Has already determined that such a thing will NOT happen. I'd prefer it if the GM do this with her, actually. (I don't mind the attempt, but would rather not have it succeed.)

Jake the Troll - it'd have to be a knock-off, as his parents would never allow it. it would probably be based off of some defunct models of Killer Crock, but with the head of a T.Rex instead. Jake would think them to be the coolest things EVAR, and would buy multiple copies for his friends.

Badger- not into marketing himself. Tries to avoid any attention outside of battling enemies. Outside of the all too usual battle, he is a recluse who only wants to be left alone.

Frosty Bob- dont really seem him caring much one way or the other. Might use the fact that he is indeed famous enough to be marketed to pick up ladies. :rolleyes:

(On/Off again attempt to create a half-banshee character that I have no name for)- Not going to market herself. She has hunteds who she absolutely doesnt want to be found by. Definitely would want to stay in the background. On the team at least in part, to have protection when those particular hunteds inevitably arrive as much as for the heroing gig.

Danielle Danger: "Ok guys' date=' I'm only going to say this one time, so make absolutely certain you're paying attention. I AM NOT A BLOODY BARBIE DOLL!! Got that fellas?"

Heh... whereas one character I've never gotten to play, Eight Ball - who is a permanently Shrunk gadgeteer/science type - actually wears a lot of Barbie clothes, because it's easier than making her own stuff. Plus, she modified a Barbie Malibu Convertible to actually run...

Plus' date=' she modified a Barbie Malibu Convertible to actually run...[/quote']

THis is pure win.

Hexslinger isn't well liked as a Hero and probably wouldn't be that marketed. He has however tried to talk with universities about letting him teach courses in Magic...

DoubleTime is Marketing Savvy/A little bit of a Glory Hound. He probably spends some time each day micromanaging his PR/Liscensing. Of course as a Speedster he does have the time...